Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default "Face It Tiger...", Mary Jane Watson/Parker Appreciation

Times may be tough for MJ fans at the moment, what with her being pushed aside for Anna Maria and partnered with a rebound replacement goldfish with a similar name and a hazardos occupation to Peter, but if you know where to look (like the dailes), party gal next door Mary Jane Watson is still Peter's significant other and wife of twenty-seven+ years, and somewhere else (MC2), she's the mother of his children, one of whom will play a big role in Spdier-Verse this November, so hop on board the catwalk and sturt your stuff as we embrace the love for the web-head's favourite model

BANNED

As far as I'm concerned, that and the whole MJ/Peter/Wolverine/Doc Ock clash that followed was the true 600th issue of ASM. The dailes are really fun.

Crap. Now I want to read all the Spider-Girl stuff. Looking forward to Mayday in 616. I hope she gets a lot of focus. If she plays matchmaker I won't complain.

I really didn't mind MJ's scene in Amazing Spider-Man #1. I don't get why people were annoyed by it, she saw Peter fighting naked, and she called him an idiot because of it. The look on her just showed Peter's back to his normal self, which is a relief to her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I really didn't mind MJ's scene in Amazing Spider-Man #1. I don't get why people were annoyed by it, she saw Peter fighting naked, and she called him an idiot because of it. The look on her just showed Peter's back to his normal self, which is a relief to her.
    It's no less offensive than when Peter once called one of her motivational speeches "lame" or corny or something during Spider-Island, yet everyone in my LCS bitched about that too. Some people just seem too conditioned to think neither person would say a negative thing about the other out of "twoo luv", when the truth is they've always had spats and poked fun at each other in between the hugs and kisses.

During an arc that ran in the dailies in 2012, when Peter was fighting this criminal clown and got saddled with a "KICK ME" sign, everyone laughed at him, he goes home to MJ and she's all understanding...but you see a thought baloon where she admits she was laughing along with everyone else at Peter's expense. I actually found that charming as well as cheeky and perfectly in-character for her.

I don't know. The artwork is kind of ambiguous, but it doesn't look like she's saying it in an affectionate way.

BANNED

I think there could be a few reasons as to the lack of enthusiasm regarding that scene.

The first is that there doesn't seem to be a great deal of excitement regarding the relationship between Peter and MJ by the key creative party on the book at this point. Dan Slott has remained relatively mum about how he regards Peter and MJ's relationship and how important it may or may not be in the larger mythos. Granted he hasn't outright dismissed it. But given his lack of commentary on their coupling, and his recent Word Balloon interview where he attempts to defend the characters of Carlie Cooper or Joy Mercado, and spoke about MJ in a rather detached manner, speaking of her character less like something he seemed enthusiastic to write and more of a force of nature that he cannot escape, this could lead one to feel that Dan Slott is not entirely excited about exploring that relationship.

In addition, I don't think it is irresponsible to say that there are quite a few- myself included- who are rather attached to the pairing of Peter and MJ and the resolution to this particular plot thread is something that they have been waiting to see resolved for almost over seven years now. And when it looked like this relationship was going to be put on the track to being resolved, it was derailed and set back considerably. Now, there's nothing wrong with this per se. But it could be seen by some as simply having MJ go through the same motions she already went through earlier in later BND stories as well as through most of Big Time, up to Superior. This is arguably a plot point that many are invested in. And when they see MJ's presence in this issue which could be argued as a cameo, given that it is only two panels in a book that already has a lot of stories in it already and a lot more space could have been dedicated to her if the creators chose, it may not sit well with them. Especially when more time is dedicated to the storyline with Anna Marie, who- while not a bad character- does not have as large of a fanbase as MJ and could be seen as simply taking more time away from a plot point they are interested in following.

An example could be- given that it is May. 4th- that after Empire Strikes Back, instead of following up with the revelation that Darth Vader is Luke's father, or with Han being taken captive by Boba Fett and sent to Jabba the Hutt, the next two films in the series are then dedicated to other side characters with only teasing hints about Luke's parentage or Han's fate thrown out to entice the fans into sticking around. Sure, it could be enticing. But seven years is an awfully long time to wait for resolution to these stories, and this development could be seen as essentially hitting the reset button, and there might be fans who are reluctant to wait perhaps another year or two to see this plot thread resolved.

Certainly things could change. And obviously two panels don't mean much in the overall scheme of things. But given everything that has transpired, it'd be easy to see that seeing MJ in this light may not sit well with several fans who want to see a quicker resolution to this plot, not a prolonged one.

Amazing Member

My first thought when I read it was that's MJ. I don't know I guess that's just how I would picture her reacting in that situation.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Howie View Post
    Crap. Now I want to read all the Spider-Girl stuff. Looking forward to Mayday in 616. I hope she gets a lot of focus. If she plays matchmaker I won't complain.
    I could see her showing and meeting Mary Jane playing out much like Rachel meeting Jean Grey for the first time back in X-Factor played out. Pretty much the "mom" got upset because she felt like her life was a destiny and she had no control over it and at first rejected her daughter from another time-line only to grow to love her in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Qrx2 View Post
    I could see her showing and meeting Mary Jane playing out much like Rachel meeting Jean Grey for the first time back in X-Factor played out. Pretty much the "mom" got upset because she felt like her life was a destiny and she had no control over it and at first rejected her daughter from another time-line only to grow to love her in time.
    I think MJ is more compassionate than Jean to outright reject or be unpleasant to an innocent teenage girl, especially one who is her own daughter from another dimension. In fact, I'd think MJ would find it incredibly cool that she has a daughter who is a big superhero in another universe. There might be an initial reaction of bewilderment, but I think she'd get over it soon enough.

But then again, her treatment of Peter in SSM #31 was harsh. But still, I'd expect Slott or Gage to not have her treat Mayday in the same way as she did Peter.

BANNED

Default "Face It Tiger...", Mary Jane Watson/Parker Appreciation

This is an article from last year, but I felt I should share it in case anyone hasn't seen it. One of the biggest criticisms of Mary Jane is that it doesn't make sense for Peter to be dating a supermodel, and this article does a wonderful job at pointing out the hypocrisy in that argument: http://www.fempop.com/2013/03/15/pet...so-ridiculous/

Lively and Optimistic lone_wolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    This is an article from last year, but I felt I should share it in case anyone hasn't seen it. One of the biggest criticisms of Mary Jane is that it doesn't make sense for Peter to be dating a supermodel, and this article does a wonderful job at pointing out the hypocrisy in that argument: http://www.fempop.com/2013/03/15/pet...so-ridiculous/
    Great article. Though kind of tiresome hearing from others that Peter himself wasn't much to look at. Stan himself pointed out that Peter was attractive in one of the wedding issues. That's my only beef with the article but may have to do a reread when I'm actually not busy since I might have skipped some things. But everything else is great!

--Wolfie
    Visual Development and Storyboard Portfolio
    http://www.imxprs.com/free/wolfie74/mj

"Animators are actors with pencils"
    --Glen Keane