Page 1 of 308 123451151101 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default "Face It Tiger...", Mary Jane Watson/Parker Appreciation

Times may be tough for MJ fans at the moment, what with her being pushed aside for Anna Maria and partnered with a rebound replacement goldfish with a similar name and a hazardos occupation to Peter, but if you know where to look (like the dailes), party gal next door Mary Jane Watson is still Peter's significant other and wife of twenty-seven+ years, and somewhere else (MC2), she's the mother of his children, one of whom will play a big role in Spdier-Verse this November, so hop on board the catwalk and sturt your stuff as we embrace the love for the web-head's favourite model

BANNED

As far as I'm concerned, that and the whole MJ/Peter/Wolverine/Doc Ock clash that followed was the true 600th issue of ASM. The dailes are really fun.

Crap. Now I want to read all the Spider-Girl stuff. Looking forward to Mayday in 616. I hope she gets a lot of focus. If she plays matchmaker I won't complain.

I really didn't mind MJ's scene in Amazing Spider-Man #1. I don't get why people were annoyed by it, she saw Peter fighting naked, and she called him an idiot because of it. The look on her just showed Peter's back to his normal self, which is a relief to her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I really didn't mind MJ's scene in Amazing Spider-Man #1. I don't get why people were annoyed by it, she saw Peter fighting naked, and she called him an idiot because of it. The look on her just showed Peter's back to his normal self, which is a relief to her.
    It's no less offensive than when Peter once called one of her motivational speeches "lame" or corny or something during Spider-Island, yet everyone in my LCS bitched about that too. Some people just seem too conditioned to think neither person would say a negative thing about the other out of "twoo luv", when the truth is they've always had spats and poked fun at each other in between the hugs and kisses.

During an arc that ran in the dailies in 2012, when Peter was fighting this criminal clown and got saddled with a "KICK ME" sign, everyone laughed at him, he goes home to MJ and she's all understanding...but you see a thought baloon where she admits she was laughing along with everyone else at Peter's expense. I actually found that charming as well as cheeky and perfectly in-character for her.

I don't know. The artwork is kind of ambiguous, but it doesn't look like she's saying it in an affectionate way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I don't know. The artwork is kind of ambiguous, but it doesn't look like she's saying it in an affectionate way.
    I think if she had been rolling her eyes back with a faint smile it would have been conveyed better, but I don't see any grounds why she'd say it with bitterness. She may not want to be involved with Peter, but she was observing him for a reason, she still cares and I think Slott was trying to convey that as minimally as possible to keep up the ship teasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Well the thing is MJ didn't look pissed off from that scene. To me, she looked shocked for a second, and then quickly realized Peter's back to normal. She called him an idiot thought cause his "normal" is bad stuff happening to him. She had a smile when she said it too, but yeah I just think a lot of people are making a bad deal out of nothing.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Well the thing is MJ didn't look pissed off from that scene. To me, she looked shocked for a second, and then quickly realized Peter's back to normal. She called him an idiot thought cause his "normal" is bad stuff happening to him. She had a smile when she said it too, but yeah I just think a lot of people are making a bad deal out of nothing.
    Yeah I agree with Aruran I don't see any deal with that MJ scene in ASM 1.

There's a term in the anime/manga fandom called "Tsundere." This concept basically means a person who runs "hot and cold." (This isn't exclusively a thing about women as there are definite male examples.) A big example of this is definitely Gwen Stacy during her earliest appearances during the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko run. Where Gwen would seem completely lovestruck about Peter one moment and then seemingly hating his guts the next.

That's the vibe I get from Slott's take on MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    There's a term in the anime/manga fandom called "Tsundere." This concept basically means a person who runs "hot and cold." (This isn't exclusively a thing about women as there are definite male examples.) A big example of this is definitely Gwen Stacy during her earliest appearances during the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko run. Where Gwen would seem completely lovestruck about Peter one moment and then seemingly hating his guts the next.

That's the vibe I get from Slott's take on MJ.
    Maybe, but I don't really think Slott was going that way. I mean in BND when she came back it seemed like that, but that feeling went away after OMIT. I think Slott is just portraying the relationship between MJ and Peter as if it was real life. And if it was real life, then it's really weird to still be friends with your ex that you lived with and nearly married. IMHO I don't think Slott still has Peter and MJ as each's other best friend anymore, and he'll drift them away from being friends. Then something will happen, and they will be friends again, then ship-teasing continues.

MJ is a force of nature, but that's only when she's in the book. I think that's what Slott is getting at right now, she won't be a major part until someone wants her to be.

Maybe, but I don't really think Slott was going that way. I mean in BND when she came back it seemed like that, but that feeling went away after OMIT. I think Slott is just portraying the relationship between MJ and Peter as if it was real life. And if it was real life, then it's really weird to still be friends with your ex that you lived with and nearly married. IMHO I don't think Slott still has Peter and MJ as each's other best friend anymore, and he'll drift them away from being friends. Then something will happen, and they will be friends again, then ship-teasing continues.

MJ is a force of nature, but that's only when she's in the book. I think that's what Slott is getting at right now, she won't be a major part until someone wants her to be.
    I'm not disagreeing. It seems like there's an obvious gulf in between them after everything. (Really, couldn't even wait more than one issue before they showed MJ again?)

I'm just saying that I've always gotten strong tsundere vibes from Slott's MJ. And her cameo in Amazing Vol. 3 #1 is no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I'm not disagreeing. It seems like there's an obvious gulf in between them after everything. (Really, couldn't even wait more than one issue before they showed MJ again?)
    You wouldn't want MJ to appear in Amazing #1?
    Really?
    I just figured these first 8 issues before Spider-Verse begins, MJ's gonna appear in a few panels, and she won't be front and centre for those issues with the only exception being issue #3. Like she'll be around, but she won't be a part of the story until 2015 is just how I see it.

I'm just saying that I've always gotten strong tsundere vibes from Slott's MJ. And her cameo in Amazing Vol. 3 #1 is no exception.
    I'm not disagreeing with it, it just that ALOT of Peter's exes give that vibe. Black Cat, Gwen, Debra, Carlie to name a few.

You wouldn't want MJ to appear in Amazing #1?
    Really?
    I just figured these first 8 issues before Spider-Verse begins, MJ's gonna appear in a few panels, and she won't be front and centre for those issues with the only exception being issue #3. Like she'll be around, but she won't be a part of the story until 2015 is just how I see it.
    I just thought that it felt too soon after they give her this kind of send-off (with her even evoking her "Face it, tiger" pose) at the end of Superior. I know she won't be at the fore front for awhile again but if you actually want the audience to believe this is goodbye, you can wait more than one issue. (Just my $.02.)

I'm not disagreeing with it, it just that ALOT of Peter's exes give that vibe. Black Cat, Gwen, Debra, Carlie to name a few.
    A lot of them tend not to appear in the title anymore. Felicia being the exception. And Gwen? Well, we all know what happened there.

(And yes, I know Deb had a minor reappearance during the "Unmasked" days.)