Page 11 of 308 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    I think it's more of the fact that pretty much everyone kind of accepts the fact that OMD is a bad story and is outright ignoring it, even when talking about Spider-Man, is a sign that Breevort's position is either a losing battle, or he doesn't speak for the majority of creative individuals.
    I think it's just hard for Brevoort to rule out the idea completely. But I do believe in all honestly that no one on any of the editorial staffs want to bring back the marriage.

I don't think the acceptance of OMD is as widespread as Breevort or Slott or Wacker or others would like us to believe. I think that, given the strong reaction it still incites, that there are very few that regard it as not being monumentally stupid and harmful to the reputation of the character. I think it will be sooner, rather than later, that we'll see this issue addressed. But I highly doubt that it's "Pretty close to nil" as Breevort insists. That sounds less like a "This is what we all believe" type of statement and more of a "Please stop asking about this because we want to do other things, and don't want to have to bring back something I don't personally like."
    I don't think they even think it's accepted, it's just that no one wants to go down that road. It's like the early issues of BND when they were teasing what happened between Peter and MJ, only for them to drop it completely after OMIT came out. It's a stuffed closet, you personally don't need to use it right now, and opening it will just be a hassle, especially since everything is clean for you. So you would rather let someone else do it, when you're not gonna be around to clean up the mess.

Like Marvel really benefited when there was no outside pressure for Peter and MJ from other mediums in the last 7 years. Not that many people know everything that goes on in Spider-Man anyways, so only the people that know have the problem. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens in 2016 for Spider-Man. If Mary Jane ends up being Peter's love interest in the movies, the outside group will wonder why they aren't together in the comics. And at that point it's heading into 10 years since OMD, which is gonna cause a lot of interest from everyone. But then at the same time I doubt anyone working at Marvel right now would be ok letting Peter and MJ get back together in 2016.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I think it's just hard for Brevoort to rule out the idea completely. But I do believe in all honestly that no one on any of the editorial staffs want to bring back the marriage.
    Again, I think that might be overreaching it a bit. I think, at the very least, that there would be some who disagree with it's implementation, and would be more open to resolving the issue. They may not be as committed to the narrative that other aspects of the company want to promote.

I don't think they even think it's accepted, it's just that no one wants to go down that road. It's like the early issues of BND when they were teasing what happened between Peter and MJ, only for them to drop it completely after OMIT came out. It's a stuffed closet, you personally don't need to use it right now, and opening it will just be a hassle, especially since everything is clean for you. So you would rather let someone else do it, when you're not gonna be around to clean up the mess.
    That's a pretty good analogy. But in that regards, I think that there might be those that look at it in regards to you have to address that issue eventually, because it's going to make a mess, no matter what.

I think part of the reason that it became such a mess was that certain creative parties honestly believed that it wouldn't be a mess. That there would be a small contingent of fans really upset, and that it would be forgotten about in about five years time. Well, it wasn't a small contingent of fans. And it wasn't just readers, as creators like Erik Larsen and Peter David (And when you can get those two on the same side of anything, you know you're in trouble) and even George R.R. Martin criticized the story and what it did. And here we are, seven years later, and people are still asking about it.

I understand that it will be a mess. But it's a mess that these individuals created. It's not the fans fault that they made a mess. If they have to clean it up, that's their problem. Their concern should be about making things better for their readers, not easier for themselves.

Like Marvel really benefited when there was no outside pressure for Peter and MJ from other mediums in the last 7 years. Not that many people know everything that goes on in Spider-Man anyways, so only the people that know have the problem. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens in 2016 for Spider-Man. If Mary Jane ends up being Peter's love interest in the movies, the outside group will wonder why they aren't together in the comics. And at that point it's heading into 10 years since OMD, which is gonna cause a lot of interest from everyone. But then at the same time I doubt anyone working at Marvel right now would be ok letting Peter and MJ get back together in 2016.
    I don't know about that. They didn't seem too concerned about Peter not being with Gwen when the ASM movies came out. I think, at the very most, they are more concerned about tying in the movie with the most recent villain, not who Peter is involved with.

And I think that there would be plenty of people OK with the pair getting back together in 2016. I think that there would be plenty of people at Marvel happy with getting the pair back together now. It's just that the current creative parties on the book right now don't seem that enthused.

By you-know-who:

John Romita Sr.

By Marcio Takara:

By Bill Walko

The above two can be found on deviantart. Their uses names are same as their names.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Love Bill Walko! The Takara one looks so much like an Adam Hughes drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Love Bill Walko! The Takara one looks so much like an Adam Hughes drawing.
    MJ isn't nearly voluptuous enough for it to be a Hughes drawing. :P

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

By you-know-who:

John Romita Sr.

By Marcio Takara:

By Bill Walko

The above two can be found on deviantart. Their uses names are same as their names.

The Bill Walko one is my favourite out of the three here.

To me, romance is dead in Spider-man comics since OMD. It completely killed that aspect of the comic, which was a huge part of it. There is a big hole in Spider-man now that cannot be filled until MJ and Peter are back together. No other relationship is going to feel genuine. It will be met with skepticism because we know it cannot work. Peter and MJ worked... and it worked for a long time. There is no way to undo that, every attempt that does is forced and shallow.

Not only that, the Peter/MJ marriage brought the romance aspect to it's peak, and it could be explored with no limitations. That side of the comic was uninhibited by the formalities of having to just date, or being just boyfriend/girlfriend. Spider-man will never be at that level again unless the marriage is restored. Peter is not allowed to be as intimate as he was with MJ. He can't get married, he can't commit, he can't have children, he can't come home to his wife. MJ was all of that, and her past makes her irreplaceable.

If Marvel wants to keep them apart, they can forget about romance in the comics ever feeling genuine again... it is dead because Peter is not allowed to be committed to one person forever anymore. Every relationship is now expected to fail and will feel shallow compared to what we had before. What is the point of any of it? IMO, this is a huge loss to the mythos.

Or, if you want the romance to live and breath in the comic, bring Peter and MJ back together at the same level they were before, have them face all the struggles together and progress the two together. The marriage did not have to end. It worked, it was interesting, and it meant something. Due to their history, everything else is going to feel subpar.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 06-11-2014 at 09:55 PM.

willsorrow

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    willsorrow
    MJ can spin me round her web anytime

I don't get why theres hate on Ramos's work
    tumblr_n78ikcRs891s2lswpo1_1280.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I don't get why theres hate on Ramos's work
    tumblr_n78ikcRs891s2lswpo1_1280.jpg
    It's not usually as good as this one. I don't personally hate his work but I do think there are areas that need improving to say the least.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Celebrating MJ's big announcement!!!

Heres one of those cover sketch with Mary Jane in some familiar clothing.
    03E8xLSr_2306140051461.jpg