Page 2 of 308 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I just thought that it felt too soon after they give her this kind of send-off (with her even evoking her "Face it, tiger" pose) at the end of Superior. I know she won't be at the fore front for awhile again but if you actually want the audience to believe this is goodbye, you can wait more than one issue. (Just my $.02.)
    Well I think that conversation in 31 got misunderstood. I always read it that MJ just doesn't want to be apart of Peter's life anymore, but doesn't wanna leave New York.
    Kinda when you acknowledge that shouldn't stay friends with your ex, but your not gonna leave the city you live in.
    Even if they want the audience to believe that it is a goodbye, at the same time it's still a hard thing to do.

I thought the panel in #1 was very clear. MJ was annoyed by not being able to get away from Spidey and his OTT antics so she rolls her eyes and slams her laptop shut, but she is also clearly smiling, showing no matter how hard she tries, she won't ever stop caring for him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Even if they want the audience to believe that it is a goodbye, at the same time it's still a hard thing to do.
    I'm surprised people are actually buying into the whole "MJ is done" angle when we know it's never stuck in the past and that Peter is meeting Pedro again in two issues time, thus keeping their connection fresh. MJ not wanting to still be involved with Peter is not a long-term hurdle by any stretch of the imagination, it's an arc, the lastest in a long line to keep stretching out the "will they/won't they" dynamic and no comic fan with experiance should be fooled anymore by illusion of change.

By the time the next Spidey movie comes out (which I presume will have MJ in it), MJ will either be freed up for Peter or will be involved somehow with him again. She remains his wife in the newspaper strips. Versions of her daughter will be part of Spider-Verse. There really is nothing that is keeping her out of sight or mind.

Maybe, but I don't really think Slott was going that way. I mean in BND when she came back it seemed like that, but that feeling went away after OMIT. I think Slott is just portraying the relationship between MJ and Peter as if it was real life. And if it was real life, then it's really weird to still be friends with your ex that you lived with and nearly married
    Not too much of a stretch. I have a cousin who's still best friends with her ex-husband in real life. You can't turn off how you feel about someone you've known most of your life and MJ's one of those people. She's the woman who vowed to love Peter for as long as she lived (after she quit smoking)
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 05-02-2014 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    I'm surprised people are actually buying into the whole "MJ is done" angle when we know it's never stuck in the past and that Peter is meeting Pedro again in two issues time, thus keeping their connection fresh. Marvel are not stupid, they see where the dollar signs are with constantly teasing these two. MJ not wanting to still be involved with Peter is not a long-term hurdle by any stretch of the imagination, it's an arc, the lastest in a long line to keep stretching out the "will they/won't they" dynamic and nobody should be fooled by illusion of change.
    I'm just tired of the "will they/won't they" dynamic that we've got right now. They've done this quite often since she was brought back into the franchise in Amazing #600 with "they won't." And to see them starting it up again one issue after "they won't..."

I'm just not feeling it.

BANNED

Perfectly understandable. It annoys me too, in fact I stopped giving two thirds of a damn about FRIENDS because of how illogicly contrived the Ross and Rachel saga unfolded...they had a KID and were still not getting together. Be glad we havent gone that far in the books yet (especially since the pregnancy isnt canon at the moment)
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 05-02-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I thought the panel in #1 was very clear. MJ was annoyed by not being able to get away from Spidey and his OTT antics so she rolls her eyes and slams her laptop shut, but she is also clearly smiling, showing no matter how hard she tries, she won't ever stop caring for him.
    I agree...and MJ was propably concerned that Peter was putting himself in danger agian.
    Stay Calm. Carry Guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I'm just tired of the "will they/won't they" dynamic that we've got right now. They've done this quite often since she was brought back into the franchise in Amazing #600 with "they won't." And to see them starting it up again one issue after "they won't..."

I'm just not feeling it.
    Agreed. Probably since the first MJ story in BND, Marvel has constantly teased that Peter and MJ would get back together. I started reading in 2012, and I'm already annoyed by it. This is the problem when you try and write romantic drama, people get sick of the same old same old.

I know this sounds weird, but I hate the ambiguous state MJ is in now. Like is she going to be featured more in the comic or will she just cameo? I want her to be featured more. She's a great character with so much history. I just want to see more of her.

She will probably be cameos for a while. I think this accurate when I say Marvel doesn't want Peter and MJ in relationship cause it makes his life to easy. I mean we all understand that everything becomes easier for Peter when he knows she'll be there for him. They're each other's best friends, so not having your best friend makes things difficult. The other problem is that when they get back together, how on earth are you gonna break them up? They had to write about a cosmic force coming into their lives and wanting to take away their love. I don't think you could break them up without rebooting the MU again.

I'm just done with ship-teasing with the two of them. Especially now since Amazing Spider-Man has been more of an action comic then a drama. If they don't want them as a couple, fine, just stop wasting panels teasing fans and focus on something else.

Astonishing Member

She will probably be cameos for a while. I think this accurate when I say Marvel doesn't want Peter and MJ in relationship cause it makes his life to easy. I mean we all understand that everything becomes easier for Peter when he knows she'll be there for him. They're each other's best friends, so not having your best friend makes things difficult. The other problem is that when they get back together, how on earth are you gonna break them up? They had to write about a cosmic force coming into their lives and wanting to take away their love. I don't think you could break them up without rebooting the MU again.

I'm just done with ship-teasing with the two of them. Especially now since Amazing Spider-Man has been more of an action comic then a drama. If they don't want them as a couple, fine, just stop wasting panels teasing fans and focus on something else.
    I feel that Slott is the one who doesn't want Peter x Mary Jane together. Then he should write her out of the story and focus one Betty Brant, as far as best friends goes. Besides, it was Marvel's decision to give Slott total control over Spider-Man. Marvel was the one who decided to cancel of the other on-going Spider-titles. Even their team-up series didn't pan out with Chris Yost.

Also, rebooting the whole Marvel Universe might have been much better than OMD. But I have a feeling that Marvel was to use the same old formula again and again within the character's respective world, which gets really old. I feel that the Editors in charge of their respective departments should challenge their writers to use supporting characters and villains from other departments(who are not used much) into Spider-Man's world and vice versa like the Abomination and Taskmaster.

I think early on Marvel tried to move Peter onto another person, only to realize it wasn't gonna work cause they're going against history. With Slott, I'm just guessing, but he writes Spider-Man in the sense that his life will hard. And what better way to showcase that by not being able to be with his soulmate. He said it in multiple interviews that they are each others soulmates, heck Spider-Dreams showed him and MJ getting married and having a family. I think a lot of people will agree that when MJ in his life, everything is easier for him, so for him to do it on his own can show how much harder it really is.

BANNED

I really didn't mind MJ's scene in Amazing Spider-Man #1. I don't get why people were annoyed by it, she saw Peter fighting naked, and she called him an idiot because of it. The look on her just showed Peter's back to his normal self, which is a relief to her.
    I think there could be a few reasons as to the lack of enthusiasm regarding that scene.

The first is that there doesn't seem to be a great deal of excitement regarding the relationship between Peter and MJ by the key creative party on the book at this point. Dan Slott has remained relatively mum about how he regards Peter and MJ's relationship and how important it may or may not be in the larger mythos. Granted he hasn't outright dismissed it. But given his lack of commentary on their coupling, and his recent Word Balloon interview where he attempts to defend the characters of Carlie Cooper or Joy Mercado, and spoke about MJ in a rather detached manner, speaking of her character less like something he seemed enthusiastic to write and more of a force of nature that he cannot escape, this could lead one to feel that Dan Slott is not entirely excited about exploring that relationship.

In addition, I don't think it is irresponsible to say that there are quite a few- myself included- who are rather attached to the pairing of Peter and MJ and the resolution to this particular plot thread is something that they have been waiting to see resolved for almost over seven years now. And when it looked like this relationship was going to be put on the track to being resolved, it was derailed and set back considerably. Now, there's nothing wrong with this per se. But it could be seen by some as simply having MJ go through the same motions she already went through earlier in later BND stories as well as through most of Big Time, up to Superior. This is arguably a plot point that many are invested in. And when they see MJ's presence in this issue which could be argued as a cameo, given that it is only two panels in a book that already has a lot of stories in it already and a lot more space could have been dedicated to her if the creators chose, it may not sit well with them. Especially when more time is dedicated to the storyline with Anna Marie, who- while not a bad character- does not have as large of a fanbase as MJ and could be seen as simply taking more time away from a plot point they are interested in following.

An example could be- given that it is May. 4th- that after Empire Strikes Back, instead of following up with the revelation that Darth Vader is Luke's father, or with Han being taken captive by Boba Fett and sent to Jabba the Hutt, the next two films in the series are then dedicated to other side characters with only teasing hints about Luke's parentage or Han's fate thrown out to entice the fans into sticking around. Sure, it could be enticing. But seven years is an awfully long time to wait for resolution to these stories, and this development could be seen as essentially hitting the reset button, and there might be fans who are reluctant to wait perhaps another year or two to see this plot thread resolved.

Certainly things could change. And obviously two panels don't mean much in the overall scheme of things. But given everything that has transpired, it'd be easy to see that seeing MJ in this light may not sit well with several fans who want to see a quicker resolution to this plot, not a prolonged one.

I'll say it now because it's a point a lot of people tend to forget, but if Peter and MJ got back together, what happens next?
    That's really what Marvel is avoiding, because they easily would've been back together by this point. I was a kid in the 2000s so I didn't read Amazing Spider-Man I read Ultimate instead, but I did read about OMD on the internet when it happened. Once in a while I look up Spider-Man to see what was going on, and I was always surprised that Peter and Mary Jane weren't back together. In 2012 I finally started reading Amazing, then I understood why they didn't get back together.

I don't think there is anyone at Marvel who believe Peter and MJ shouldn't be together because they don't like them as a couple, but instead they don't want them together because of where the relationship goes. Had it been any other character the same situation would be right before our eyes. Marvel doesn't want Peter's life to be easy, and it is easy when he's with someone who loves him. The reason why Peter and MJ won't get back together as of this moment, is because Marvel's direction right now is focused on the difficulties Peter faces in his life. MJ makes his life easier cause he's gonna be happy when he's with her and vice versa.

I don't think Marvel can maintain the ship teasing forever though, it gets sick really fast. Right now they aren't gonna bother with it, but in a couple of years they might try it again. In my guess right now, MJ might just get 2 more appearances in the book before Spider-Verse, and she won't appear in Spider-Verse that much either. In 2015 they'll probably pick up a subplot with her and Ollie, and then break them up. At that point I expect Slott to leave and a new writer would come on and get freedom to do whatever they want with the characters.

Astonishing Member

I'll say it now because it's a point a lot of people tend to forget, but if Peter and MJ got back together, what happens next?
    That's really what Marvel is avoiding, because they easily would've been back together by this point. I was a kid in the 2000s so I didn't read Amazing Spider-Man I read Ultimate instead, but I did read about OMD on the internet when it happened. Once in a while I look up Spider-Man to see what was going on, and I was always surprised that Peter and Mary Jane weren't back together. In 2012 I finally started reading Amazing, then I understood why they didn't get back together.

I don't think there is anyone at Marvel who believe Peter and MJ shouldn't be together because they don't like them as a couple, but instead they don't want them together because of where the relationship goes. Had it been any other character the same situation would be right before our eyes. Marvel doesn't want Peter's life to be easy, and it is easy when he's with someone who loves him. The reason why Peter and MJ won't get back together as of this moment, is because Marvel's direction right now is focused on the difficulties Peter faces in his life. MJ makes his life easier cause he's gonna be happy when he's with her and vice versa.

I don't think Marvel can maintain the ship teasing forever though, it gets sick really fast. Right now they aren't gonna bother with it, but in a couple of years they might try it again. In my guess right now, MJ might just get 2 more appearances in the book before Spider-Verse, and she won't appear in Spider-Verse that much either. In 2015 they'll probably pick up a subplot with her and Ollie, and then break them up. At that point I expect Slott to leave and a new writer would come on and get freedom to do whatever they want with the characters.
    I think that Slott should just focused on developing Peter's friendship with Betty Brant and let Mary Jane ride off into the sunset with Pedro. As far as outside characters go, he really should have considered using Jennifer Walters human side in Peter's social circles since she one of the few people that Peter could relate too in a normal setting, as well as make her feel like the She-Hulk without the need to transform into her jolly GREEN alter-ego. But I hope that Jessica Drew and Natasha Romanov can play a larger role in Spider-Man's world than in past events outside of the Avengers.

BANNED

I think that there is a problem in trying to maintain a "Will they or won't they" type of drama, because there is a mistaken belief that it is something that could last indefinitely, or that it is the key to continued interest in a series. I've never really seen a "Will they or won't they" type of drama that actually did last for a long time without alienating the fanbase. Usually these types of relationships, if not resolved or addressed, tend to turn people off after a while. A story can't string people along indefinitely, and there needs to be closure on certain elements in order to keep the fans invested. I look at works like The Office, Parks and Recreation or Castle that actually did have the characters progress and move on in their relationships without sacrificing the quality of the stories. Or going further back, Cheers made sure that Sam and Diane would get together by the end of the first season, and explored the fallout of that development for years. In fact, this sort of development increased the drama and added higher stakes. And a good example of how trying to keep the "Will they or won't they" going could potentially ruin a series is the show Moonlighting, which saw the viewers drop off when the creators tried to keep the relationship between Cybil Shepard and Bruce Willis' character going by having her character unexpectedly marry a new character right after the pair finally got together in the second season.

I think the issue right now isn't that MJ makes Peter's life easier and that solves all his problems, because there are many examples in the past that shows this not to be true. Often times their relationship increased the drama in the books. Peter fretted over MJ's smoking, MJ was concerned about the risks Peter took. The stress of Peter's life caused incredible strain on the couple's relationship, and it made for some very interesting drama. It wasn't that MJ made Peter's life inherently better. Sure, she helped him deal with things at the end of a long day. But so did a lot of Peter's other female relationships. One story had Peter have a rough day, but then come back to Gwen who kisses him and he feels that his life is pretty good. So the notion that MJ inherently makes Peter's life simpler by her mere presence is a bit of a misconception. I think the problem is the idea that her time with Peter instantly makes things easier is why there is a reluctance to move forward on that relationship. But there have been many writers- like JMS, JMD, Tom Defalco and Brian Bendis- who are actually interested in exploring said relationship, and the series was the better for it. In the end, it all goes back to what the writer wants to accomplish and what they are interested in. Right now the creative parties seem more interested in exploring Peter's relationship with other women while slowly getting Peter and MJ back together with their reunion being the "end goal" for the entire run. Another creative party might be more interested in the pair as a couple, and want to explore that.

Right now the creative effort seems to be taking a "slow burn" approach to the Peter and MJ thing, which I think is causing a lot of frustration since it's been on the back burner for several years. I think there are those- myself included- that would like to see things finally start heating up again and not have to deal with other distractions (However, I know others might not feel the same, but this is just me). In regards to her appearance, yes MJ may only appear in the books a few times before Spider-Verse in September. But since that's only five issues, that's either 2/5 or 3/5 of the run up till that event happens. But I'd agree that we probably wont' see traction on this storyline until 2015 at the least.