Page 238 of 308 FirstFirst ... 138188228234235236237238239240241242248288 ... LastLast
Results 3,556 to 3,570 of 4606
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    With all this happening, I'm surprised there isn't a fairytale style "What If" where Peter and MJ have an arranged marriage, and the drama is neither wants it and Peter's in love with Gwen. I mean, it was almost there already, if those panels mean anything.
    And they could go the route of Gwen realizing Peter and MJ were falling in love.

With all this happening, I'm surprised there isn't a fairytale style "What If" where Peter and MJ have an arranged marriage, and the drama is neither wants it and Peter's in love with Gwen. I mean, it was almost there already, if those panels mean anything.
    I can see that happening if Aunt May was overprotective to Peter to the point she really wants to control his life (She kinda tried that already, but gives in when Peter is too insistent), could excuse as some **** like "MJ is the only one who won't break Peter's fragile heart!", though Peter would need to be pretty submissive to her to accept this kind of **** lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    And they could go the route of Gwen realizing Peter and MJ were falling in love.
    And then we get the inevitable solution for this love triangle: Spider-Harem .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I can see that happening if Aunt May was overprotective to Peter to the point she tries to control his life, could excuse as some **** like "MJ is the only one who won't break Peter's fragile heart!", though Peter would need to be pretty submissive to her to accept this kind of **** lol.

And then we get the inevitable solution for this love triangle: Spider-Harem .
    It's already canon that Peter will do just about anything for his dear Aunt May, even The Thing That We Will Not Speak Of Here, and hell, Gwen did call her out on smothering Peter with her overprotectiveness, so points to her there. Of course, we are not here to sing another woman's praises; we are here for Mary Jane Watson, and if Aunt May wanted her to be with Peter that badly, she must have seen something in her that not a lot of other people (in-universe or in real life) did. As for the idea of a Spider-Harem, as fun as that sounds, it would take a lot of work (and mutual trust, respect, and love) for jealousy not to set in at some point.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Never read it, but I think there was a series that used the Spidey characters to tell fairy tale-style one-shot stories. As I understand it, they did do one based on Red Riding Hood were Peter and MJ were the subjects of an arranged marriage (it was set in a middle ages-style time). However, they wanted very much to go through with it (it's my understanding that MJ's only trepidation was that she wanted it to be an equal partnership and the story in part was about her resolving that concern).

Conversely, another issue put the characters in a Cinderella-style story, with Peter in the titular role and Gwen as the prince (Norman Osborn was the evil stepmother, in a somewhat appropriate touch). That one did add an unique element in that MJ was a servant in the Osborn household who was helping Peter get Gwen's attention despite secretly being in love with him herself (she didn't get a happy ending).

So, there have been similar stories to the scenario you've been suggesting, but nothing that's an exact. I wouldn't be surprised if MJ's evolution from a minor distraction into the franchise's Lois Lane is probably a factor in why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    They've kinda sorta done that, too. As I understand it, in the Clone Conspiracy story, the Gwen Stacy clone (who ostensibly has the memories of the real Gwen Stacy), does tell Peter that "she" (e.g. the real Gwen), thought that he and MJ were going to end up together. In the Ultimate comics, Peter and Gwen did date briefly but it's strongly implied that one of the reasons Gwen broke it off was because she worked out that Peter was in love with MJ and no one else was going to replace her. Not an exact analog, given that Peter and MJ had been dating off and on prior and was framed more of a "they had never fallen out of love" situation rather than a "they realized how they felt about each other," but still similar ground. I also wonder if Gwen's decreasing importance in the franchise (at least a live character) is also a factor in why this is.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Never read it, but I think there was a series that used the Spidey characters to tell fairy tale-style one-shot stories. As I understand it, they did do one based on Red Riding Hood were Peter and MJ were the subjects of an arranged marriage (it was set in a middle ages-style time). However, they wanted very much to go through with it (it's my understanding that MJ's only trepidation was that she wanted it to be an equal partnership and the story in part was about her resolving that concern).
    I did read it. That would be the Little Red Riding Hood segment, and while Peter (The Woodcutter) and MJ (Red) were set to get married, it was never referred to as an arranged marriage, just some young village engagement. Gwen was already dead at the time (they never say why), so she wasn't an issue other than being MJ's dead friend. The problem came about when the Venom-Wolf showed up.

Conversely, another issue put the characters in a Cinderella-style story, with Peter in the titular role and Gwen as the prince (Norman Osborn was the evil stepmother, in a somewhat appropriate touch). That one did add an unique element in that MJ was a servant in the Osborn household who was helping Peter get Gwen's attention despite secretly being in love with him herself (she didn't get a happy ending).
    I read that one, too, and really wish it would get a sequel. I wasn't satisfied with that ending, since no one was happy. It was the last story to the graphic novel, too, so it was a real downer ending to the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    It's already canon that Peter will do just about anything for his dear Aunt May, even The Thing That We Will Not Speak Of Here, and hell, Gwen did call her out on smothering Peter with her overprotectiveness, so points to her there.
    While he does love and respect Aunt May a lot, he'll do things she won't aprove, there's at least one opportunity where he didn't do what she asked because he didn't see it as priority (ASM#271 where he heard gunshots and stopped following Nathan Lubensky to save people, though he did briefly wonder what to do), and hell, just the fact he's Spider-Man shows Peter is just selfish enough to do what he wants if he really thinks he should, so if there was some version of Aunt May trying to force him into a relationship he really doesn't want to, I don't see him accepting it, even if he feels guilty for disapointing her.

Of course, we are not here to sing another woman's praises; we are here for Mary Jane Watson, and if Aunt May wanted her to be with Peter that badly, she must have seen something in her that not a lot of other people (in-universe or in real life) did.
    Probably how extremely easy going MJ was, it's actualy pretty ironic that Aunt May didn't realize how potentialy dangerous MJ could be for Peter, because in ASM#43, when she sees news about Rhino rampaging, she quickly suggests for Peter and her to go see him (And no, none of that "She knew he was Spider-Man", that was before the dumb retcon and the dialogue during the fight makes it blatantly obvious she doesn't know).

As for the idea of a Spider-Harem, as fun as that sounds, it would take a lot of work (and mutual trust, respect, and love) for jealousy not to set in at some point.
    Spider-Harem was a joke, lol. But if we went pure wish fulfillment (Aka, fanfiction route), then at the moment it happens then Peter's life would be perfect, but in a more realistic setting, the ammount of problems a relationship like that would have is hilariously high, which would be amplified with Peter being Spider-Man (Meaning Peter going to fight crime instead of being home or going out with one/both of them, plus injuries from battle and occasional disappearance for being kidnapped and whatnot), and of course, Parker Luck would be having a lot of fun screwing things up. Although, at the very least there's one thing the relationship would be less stressful for the women involved, since they would have someone to talk about it.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

While he does love and respect Aunt May a lot, he'll do things she won't aprove, there's at least one opportunity where he didn't do what she asked because he didn't see it as priority (ASM#271 where he heard gunshots and stopped following Nathan Lubensky to save people, though he did briefly wonder what to do), and hell, just the fact he's Spider-Man shows Peter is just selfish enough to do what he wants if he really thinks he should, so if there was some version of Aunt May trying to force him into a relationship he really doesn't want to, I don't see him accepting it, even if he feels guilty for disapointing her.

Probably how extremely easy going MJ was, it's actualy pretty ironic that Aunt May didn't realize how potentialy dangerous MJ could be for Peter, because in ASM#43, when she sees news about Rhino rampaging, she quickly suggests for Peter and her to go see him (And no, none of that "She knew he was Spider-Man", that was before the dumb retcon and the dialogue during the fight makes it blatantly obvious she doesn't know).

Spider-Harem was a joke, lol. But if we went pure wish fulfillment (Aka, fanfiction route), then at the moment it happens then Peter's life would be perfect, but in a more realistic setting, the ammount of problems a relationship like that would have is hilariously high, which would be amplified with Peter being Spider-Man (Meaning Peter going to fight crime instead of being home or going out with one/both of them, plus injuries from battle and occasional disappearance for being kidnapped and whatnot), and of course, Parker Luck would be having a lot of fun screwing things up. Although, at the very least there's one thing the relationship would be less stressful for the women involved, since they would have someone to talk about it.
    And that time he quit graduate school to focus on supporting himself and Aunt May as a photographer for The Daily Bugle. That said, I do see your points.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

And once again, Aunt May shows that she's the original agressive Spider-Marriage shipper (Or the original Spider-Marriage shipper, period) .

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

And once again, Aunt May shows that she's the original agressive Spider-Marriage shipper (Or the original Spider-Marriage shipper, period) .

Oohhh, the irony of this panel...

Best part of it is how Aunt May is like "Peter! I know what's good for you! Now go out with this girl I don't actualy know!"

I remember listening to an Amazing Spider-Man Classics Podcast where the hosts would go over the Lee/Ditko run and talk about how much Aunt May was pushing for Mary Jane and trying to screw or ignore Betty .

Betty was way too old for him back then anyhow. She just eventually caught up to him due to the sliding time scale.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-30-2018 at 06:53 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Betty was way too old for him back then anyhow. She just eventually caught up to him due to the sliding time scale.
    One of the first issues did mention that she'd quit high school a year ago to take the job at the Bugle, so they were close in age. However, as time as moved on, the idea of a high school dropout holding a job like that makes less and less sense, hence why 616 (as I understand it) had to retroactively create a special circumstance to explain it and most modern retellings factor in realism to make Betty significantly older then Peter (so the job makes sense) which has the side effect of rendering her too old to be Peter's girlfriend.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember listening to an Amazing Spider-Man Classics Podcast where the hosts would go over the Lee/Ditko run and talk about how much Aunt May was pushing for Mary Jane and trying to screw or ignore Betty .
    Worst thing is that Betty visited Aunt May when she was sick, and she even said that Betty was nice, so if she knew that Betty and Peter were dating (Peter just says he has a girlfriend, never says who), then Aunt May is being a real bitch lol.

Edit: Actualy, Aunt May knows it's Betty, annual 1 she mentions that Peter is dating Betty.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Nah, in ASM#9 she says that she left high school just a year before, so she's only a bit older than Peter at best:

Last edited by Lukmendes; 01-30-2018 at 07:25 PM.

Just posted the second chapter of my What If? OMD never happened story. If interested check it out -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1281972...-The-Great-Web

enjoy
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."