Page 3 of 308 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I think that Slott should just focused on developing Peter's friendship with Betty Brant and let Mary Jane ride off into the sunset with Pedro. As far as outside characters go, he really should have considered using Jennifer Walters human side in Peter's social circles since she one of the few people that Peter could relate too in a normal setting, as well as make her feel like the She-Hulk without the need to transform into her jolly GREEN alter-ego. But I hope that Jessica Drew and Natasha Romanov can play a larger role in Spider-Man's world than in past events outside of the Avengers.
    New forums.

New names.

New faces.

Same DarthFury.

Mary Jane should have a reality TV show. Seeing as how she's still technically an ex-(unretired?) model who had a certain level of fame before living with Pete and doing the Secret Hospital TV show...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Mary Jane should have a reality TV show. Seeing as how she's still technically an ex-(unretired?) model who had a certain level of fame before living with Pete and doing the Secret Hospital TV show...
    Didn't she already have a reality TV type of show prior to her buying the bar?

Personally speaking, and I know that this is probably controversial, but I actually like MJ as a superstar on a certain level of fame. I know it might not work well in a story context, but I like the idea of MJ being this superfamous superstar, who is still hopelessly in love with Peter. She'd have everything anyone would ever want, but the only thing she truly desires is Peter. Meanwhile, I like the idea of Peter being in love with her, but feeling that he's not good enough for her.

I guess I kind of like the star crossed lovers aspect of the relationship. We kind of got some of this during the early part of JMS' run, so that's probably why I like the idea of it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    Didn't she already have a reality TV type of show prior to her buying the bar?
    Pretty sure it got canceled, but the money she earned went towards the club she bought.

Personally speaking, and I know that this is probably controversial, but I actually like MJ as a superstar on a certain level of fame. I know it might not work well in a story context, but I like the idea of MJ being this superfamous superstar, who is still hopelessly in love with Peter. She'd have everything anyone would ever want, but the only thing she truly desires is Peter. Meanwhile, I like the idea of Peter being in love with her, but feeling that he's not good enough for her.
    I have mixed feelings about MJ being a superstar. I like the idea of everyone questioning why she picks Peter over any guy of her choosing, but at the same time her being a supermodel pushes the limit. Way to often she leaves the city cause of a photoshoot and its really pointless for the story. Personally I really like her as a Boardway actress, cause it keeps her in New York so Peter will always have her on his mind.

I guess I kind of like the star crossed lovers aspect of the relationship. We kind of got some of this during the early part of JMS' run, so that's probably why I like the idea of it so much.
    I do think Marvel is trying this aspect, cause out of the Big 3 superheroes, none of them have the star crossed lovers except Spider-Man. Like Batman is usually a loner while Superman has Lois. It's honestly not a bad idea, it's just the problem when you go with this idea it leads to pissing off the fans. It's pretty much teasing the fans, which gets annoying and stupid really fast.

I can accept the idea that Peter and Mary Jane won't get back together for the next 20 years in the comic, but I just think its unfair/stupid to everyone just to tease the idea that they could and have no intention of doing it.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Howie View Post
    Crap. Now I want to read all the Spider-Girl stuff. Looking forward to Mayday in 616. I hope she gets a lot of focus. If she plays matchmaker I won't complain.
    I could see her showing and meeting Mary Jane playing out much like Rachel meeting Jean Grey for the first time back in X-Factor played out. Pretty much the "mom" got upset because she felt like her life was a destiny and she had no control over it and at first rejected her daughter from another time-line only to grow to love her in time.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I really didn't mind MJ's scene in Amazing Spider-Man #1. I don't get why people were annoyed by it, she saw Peter fighting naked, and she called him an idiot because of it. The look on her just showed Peter's back to his normal self, which is a relief to her.
    My first thought when I read it was that's MJ. I don't know I guess that's just how I would picture her reacting in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Qrx2 View Post
    I could see her showing and meeting Mary Jane playing out much like Rachel meeting Jean Grey for the first time back in X-Factor played out. Pretty much the "mom" got upset because she felt like her life was a destiny and she had no control over it and at first rejected her daughter from another time-line only to grow to love her in time.
    I think MJ is more compassionate than Jean to outright reject or be unpleasant to an innocent teenage girl, especially one who is her own daughter from another dimension. In fact, I'd think MJ would find it incredibly cool that she has a daughter who is a big superhero in another universe. There might be an initial reaction of bewilderment, but I think she'd get over it soon enough.

But then again, her treatment of Peter in SSM #31 was harsh. But still, I'd expect Slott or Gage to not have her treat Mayday in the same way as she did Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I do think Marvel is trying this aspect, cause out of the Big 3 superheroes, none of them have the star crossed lovers except Spider-Man. Like Batman is usually a loner while Superman has Lois. It's honestly not a bad idea, it's just the problem when you go with this idea it leads to pissing off the fans. It's pretty much teasing the fans, which gets annoying and stupid really fast.

I can accept the idea that Peter and Mary Jane won't get back together for the next 20 years in the comic, but I just think its unfair/stupid to everyone just to tease the idea that they could and have no intention of doing it.
    DC won't even admit that Lois is THE love interest for Superman these days. They've got him paired up with Wonder Woman.

Now, DarthFury is gonna be DarthFury but Marvel doesn't really have anyone like that for Spider-Man. No other long standing female costumed character that comes anywhere near a pairing like Superman/Wonder Woman.

(Black Cat seems to take care of most of those needs when the urge to pair Spidey up with a female costumed character arises. But she's no Wonder Woman.)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    DC won't even admit that Lois is THE love interest for Superman these days. They've got him paired up with Wonder Woman.

Now, DarthFury is gonna be DarthFury but Marvel doesn't really have anyone like that for Spider-Man. No other long standing female costumed character that comes anywhere near a pairing like Superman/Wonder Woman.

(Black Cat seems to take care of most of those needs when the urge to pair Spidey up with a female costumed character arises. But she's no Wonder Woman.)
    Yeah I might be in the minority on this but I have not been a big fan of the new 52 other than the Batman books which is the closest to the "old" 52 they have and frankly things like Superman dating Wonder Woman is part of the reason why.

With that said, I heard a great interview on NPR with an author of one of the Superman Biographies that came out recently (sorry can't remember the guy's name) and he brought up a good point. Just like how some people hate that they took away Superman's red pants they will be back someday because they are part of who Superman is. I think of that when I think of things like Superman being with Wonder Woman and not Lois or Peter not being with Mary Jane. Lois is too important to who Superman is for them to never go there again just like Mary Jane is too important to Spider-man for her and him to never be together again.

This might be the first time they have ended the marriage between Peter and Mary Jane but it's not the first time they have broken them up and in the past they have even gone as far as to write her out of the books at times. Just like those times they will sooner or later find their way back to each other because Mary Jane is too big of a part of the Spider-man story. My guess is that if Mary Jane is the love interest in the Amazing Spider-man 3 you will see them back together in the books about that time just like how Peter just magically became Spider-man again just in time for the Amazing Spider-man 2 to come out this time.

They might try new things now and then in Spider-man's books but somethings are core to the Spider-man story.

1. Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy are destined to die.
    2. Aunt May is destined to live.
    3. Something good happening always comes with a price.
    4. Peter and Mary Jane are destined to be together.
    5. No matter how much good he does JJJ will always hate Spider-man.

I know nothing earth shattering there but they are pretty much laws of the Spider Universe even if they stray from them at times they always find their way back to them.

Yeah I might be in the minority on this but I have not been a big fan of the new 52 other than the Batman books which is the closest to the "old" 52 they have and frankly things like Superman dating Wonder Woman is part of the reason why.

With that said, I heard a great interview on NPR with an author of one of the Superman Biographies that came out recently (sorry can't remember the guy's name) and he brought up a good point. Just like how some people hate that they took away Superman's red pants they will be back someday because they are part of who Superman is. I think of that when I think of things like Superman being with Wonder Woman and not Lois or Peter not being with Mary Jane. Lois is too important to who Superman is for them to never go there again just like Mary Jane is too important to Spider-man for her and him to never be together again.

This might be the first time they have ended the marriage between Peter and Mary Jane but it's not the first time they have broken them up and in the past they have even gone as far as to write her out of the books at times. Just like those times they will sooner or later find their way back to each other because Mary Jane is too big of a part of the Spider-man story. My guess is that if Mary Jane is the love interest in the Amazing Spider-man 3 you will see them back together in the books about that time just like how Peter just magically became Spider-man again just in time for the Amazing Spider-man 2 to come out this time.

They might try new things now and then in Spider-man's books but somethings are core to the Spider-man story.

I know nothing earth shattering there but they are pretty much laws of the Spider Universe even if they stray from them at times they always find their way back to them.
    Honestly, don't hold any hope that they would be a couple cause of ASM 3. Marvel has only milked the super-villains used in the films, never the plot-lines. They don't earn any money from it, only publicity. They didn't even make any Gwen Stacy covers when ASM 1 came out, just Lizard ones. With ASM 2 they had a ton of Electro variants, none with GG, only a few with Gwen Stacy.

A better guess would honestly be that Marvel would reboot Amazing Spider-Man for the new movie, especially when you consider what happened this year with ASM 2 and Peter's return.

Yeah, it was surprising that there was no OGN in the vein of Spider-Man: Blue commemorating Gwen to "coincide" with the release of TASM2. Just a throwaway shout out by MJ and Carlie at the end of SSM #31.

I think Mary Jane should work as an undercover operative for S.H.E.I.L.D., a Mata Hari of sorts. Of course Mata Hari was executed in France for being a spy, so maybe thats not such a good idea.:rolleyes:
    Last edited by eSoldier; 05-06-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    Stay Calm. Carry Guns.

BANNED

I don't think Marvel would really wait to reunite Peter and MJ as a couple in time for the next movie. As much as I disagree with a lot of their policies, they really haven't altered their creative landscape to be more like the movies beyond superficial movies- costumes, storylines featuring villains, the like. Peter would likely just have a story where he'd face off against the latest movie's bad guy at the very least.

I think the issue right now with MJ is that she is currently being written by a creator who may not have wanted to use her in the "girlfriend" capacity, but is doing so due to fan demand or editorial request. Hence the reluctance to make her a greater part of the narrative, and keeping her on the back burner for the time being.

I think if there was a creative changeover, another writer may decide "Well, we really haven't seen Peter and MJ together in a while, and I'd be interested in writing that now." Or the editorial might decide "Well, we haven't had them together and we need something to get people's attention. Let's have them get back together and make an event out of it."

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I can see an event coming out of it if they do decide to get them back together. I think the main reason why we didn't have any Gwen covers is because of her Status in the main line. Being dead and all would put a damper on the readers of the story, and then what do you tell? A flash back tale? Lizard got the cover just because of the fact that he is an active character. If Gwen were alive, I'm pretty sure we'd see her around on the covers.

As for MJ, having her meet Mayday would be a great thing I think, and no I don't think she would react like Jean did (in fact I kind of wonder if Jean would really have reacted like that under any other writer), I do think she would at first be confused, but then embrace it since I think she would enjoy being a mom. Also I think, in a way, it might calm her fears about what a child with Peter would be like. At first you might get the "This is why I couldn't be with you Peter, our daughter became a superhero and put herself in danger." moment, but then I think May, with her mix of Peter's and MJ's smarts and charm, would convince her that being a child with powers wasn't a bad thing and that she actually can take care of herself because she learned how from two very strong parents. In the end I think the two would get along, and yes I can see Mayday trying to play match maker and wondering just what the heck is keeping her parents apart.

I kind of like the idea of MJ being an actress, and it would be neat if she wrote or directed her own plays or produced them. Use some of the money that comes out of the club to fund something like that. As for her love life, anyone else find it strange that she's dating a fireman? Both Pedro and Peter are men that work in a dangerous line of work, and could potentially die from it. Which brings up something interesting. Suppose that the men she likes to go out with now are reflections of her feelings for Peter. She's drawn to strong, courageous and smart individuals who want to protect people and do so out of the goodness of their own hearts. So, in some way, Pedro is a sort of stand in for Peter.

I'm a little worried about ASM 3 just because if they bring her in will we have a case of people slut shaming her because Gwen died and Peter's moving on with someone else. The thing is that if they do bring in MJ she will have to be equal to or top Emma stone's performance. That won't be easy but it's doable with the right actress, just I hope they don't pick on looks alone.

eddy swan

Artgem

Mark Brook