Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Questions about Marvel fandom

I know there's no thing as a perfect fandom. But as a DC fan the one thing that drives me up the wall is that as soon as someone mentions "Batman can beat anyone cuz of preptime/ because he's Batman!" it turns into a war zone.

So I wanna know: Does the Marvel fandom ever come that close to tearing each other apart? Because I've spend most of my time on the DC side that Marvel fandom tends to be more civil with each other when it comes to characters. Or they are something going on at the same caliber and I've never noticed.

I know people could really get into arguments about Illuminati but other than that I'm not sure.

Well of course Iron Man vs Captain America is a huge debate for little kids that care so much about Marvel movies and don't even care about comic books or don't read them at all. I know thousands of Turkish teenagers (9-16) that would physically fight eachother for supporting the opposite hero.

Oh wait, I got one. I think Cyclops is a character that really divided people every since AvX. But still not enough to make people want tear each other apart. I hope.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think it comes and goes. For a while, there were some pretty heated debates about the Scarlet Witch's culpability for Disassembled / House of M as soon as she was allowed back into comics after being exiled to semi-limbo for 5 or 6 years. Now, I am not posting this so that someone can debate the points for and against all over again!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think it comes and goes. For a while, there were some pretty heated debates about the Scarlet Witch's culpability for Disassembled / House of M as soon as she was allowed back into comics after being exiled to semi-limbo for 5 or 6 years. Now, I am not posting this so that someone can debate the points for and against all over again!
    Oh yeah, totally forgot about Scarlet Witch. Old forum was filled with debates about her.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

It seems like there's a lot of fighting in the Marvel fandom these days and it's usually X-Men related. People arguing about; the Inhumans taking mutant's place in the Marvel universe, Scarlet Witch being responsible for genocide, Avengers vs. X-Men stuff, and X-Men schism stuff. Especially people bashing Cyclops, now even all the characters bash Cyclops too, but the character still has a loyal fanbase (myself included).

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Oh yeah, totally forgot about Scarlet Witch. Old forum was filled with debates about her.
    I am just glad that no matter what she did or didn't do that the character has been freed up for other writers to use. It was as if Bendis locked her in a box somewhere.

Scarlet Witch's debate over whether she should be held accountable for decimating the mutant population while having a mental breakdown really divided the forums.

Cap vs. Iron Man really divided the fans as well, much more passionately I'd say than any other debate. And it will be sure to re-emerge once the movie comes out.

Then came AvX, which pitted Avengers fans against X-Men fans, many of which thought the X-Men were being jobbed and made out to look like the bad guys.

Then comes Fox Studios properties vs. Marvel executives, and how Marvel is downplaying the characters owned by Fox in their comics, most specifically the FF and X-Men, in favour of their own properties, The Inhumans, Agents of SHIELD and Avengers.

More recently came the Namor debate, specifically during New Avengers and if his actions regarding Black Panther and the incursions were justifiable.

Then there's the Deadpool fans, similarly to Batman's prep time, ensuring everyone Deadpool can beat anyone, more of a twitter thing tbh

And then the Spider-Gwen debate and whether it's a tired gimmick or not.

One More Day, a Spider-man story that ended his marriage, also rubs people the wrong way.

More on Spider-man, Superior Spider-man, which was Doc Ock taking over Spider-man's body, was incredibly divisive.

Also recently there's been spurring debate for and against an Asian Iron Fist in the Netflix series.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 12-23-2015 at 07:49 AM.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

The Batman prep time arguments don't get nearly as ugly as Odinson Thor Vs. Jane Foster Thor debates, or Steve Rogers Captain America Vs. Sam Wilson Captain America debates at least in my experience.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    The Batman prep time arguments don't get nearly as ugly as Odinson Thor Vs. Jane Foster Thor debates, or Steve Rogers Captain America Vs. Sam Wilson Captain America debates at least in my experience.
    The Batman prep time is not even something that I have noticed. Now, people complaining that Batman is overused, particularly fans of legacy characters, also fans of different Green Lanterns or Flashes, those can get heated, but Batman prep time?

As for Marvel, pitting fandoms against each other has been their strategy since Civil War (possibly House of M).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    The Batman prep time is not even something that I have noticed. Now, people complaining that Batman is overused, particularly fans of legacy characters, also fans of different Green Lanterns or Flashes, those can get heated, but Batman prep time?

As for Marvel, pitting fandoms against each other has been their strategy since Civil War (possibly House of M).
    You have no idea how fortunate you are. If you value your sanity, don't delve into it.

Thor/Hulk Vs Juggernaut usually brings out the worst in people.

I wonder if you have checked the X-men's forum or threads about the Inhumans ?.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    I wonder if you have checked the X-men's forum or threads about the Inhumans ?.
    Literally what I was about to say
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough

Frankly, you will never find a fandom where everyone agrees and never argues. Every single fandom out there has things that will spark arguments, because people have different tastes and opinions, just the way it is. Fan opinion will also vary frm site to site, so if you don't like the prevailing opinion on one site, you can try the next one over.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

That is a Good Question AquaLantern and Thanks for Stopping by the Marvel Thread, Always Glad to have DC Fans stopping by and asking about Marvel in most Any Form.

Honestly Yea, their have been MASSIVE Debates on the Marvel and X-Books Forums over Various Topics. It does divided Fandoms too sadly at times, many do try and succeed at times to play it down the middle to help benefit both sides, but indeed we still have our showdowns at times, mostly when it is an out of nowhere event in a story.

Honestly However IMO it is not even CLOSE to as Hotly Dividing as it use to be on the Original Forums. I remember that is it was like 20x's More Divided and Debated back then. It was pretty much near War on Various Topics and Sides, it got Very Heated for Long Stretches of times for many pages in just one thread alone. We still have them, but not as big as the Old Forums.

But Yea, we have our debates, most of them the ones that have been mostly already said by other posters on this thread, some I know personally for years now. So indeed as a DC Fan that you are, you Fandom is not alone in Hotly Debated Topics.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!