Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default If you could make a MCU video game.....??

Havent seen anything like this on the board. Sorry if its been proposed before though, I must have missed it.

So here's the hypothetical.

Disney comes to you and says "So after the current slate of films are done (Infinity Wars, Inhumans, ect) the next chapter of the MCU is going to be told in a video game (cross platform, X-Box, PS, Wii, PC) and we want to know what you'd like to see!"

Of course, there are some restrictions and conditions.

You have to abide by MCU canon. Quicksilver is dead. The Mandarin really was a druggie actor paid for by AIM. No time travel shenanigans to fix perceived mistakes. Time travel itself is not off limits, but you can't use it to change MCU history in any way, including things like "you thought Peggy Carter was an old woman, but that's really a LMD and the real Carter has secretly been brought to the present!"

We will assume that everyone currently alive and active right now still will be after Infinity Wars, and no one will be replaced (no lady Thor, no Falcon-Cap, no one has retired, ect).

We will assume that no new characters have been introduced beyond the ones we know about (Strange, Panther, Punisher, Captain Marvel, Wasp, Iron Fist, ect). The Inhumans will only have introduced the Royal family (Bolt, Crystal, Medusa, ect, no Nuhumans or Ms. Marvel).

You can bring in any character/s without limit from the MCU; the films, television, or Netflix (we'll assume the game bypasses contractual restrictions on who can appear where), but franchises controlled by other studios are still off limits. No FF, No X-Men. You can use Spider-Man but only Parker; no supporting characters, spin-offs, or villains. No Venom, Spider-Gwen, or Aunt May.

We will pretend that everyone's contract included game appearances, so every character will be modeled from and voiced by the actor. We'll assume that this does not impact the game's budget because its already included in their contract.

This can be any kind of game; first person shooter, RPG, real time strategy, fighter, MMO, whatever floats your boat.

Now, this is what Disney wants from you.

You must introduce one new hero, whose origin will be a focus of the game (doesnt have to be the main focus). This character is going to spin into his/her own solo film after the game launches, and the origin will be referenced there, but will not re-tell that origin (think Incredible Hulk's intro). The actor/actress who will play the role in live action will also perform for the game.

You must implement one semi-major change. You can do stuff like have someone die and/or be replaced, debut a Celestial, or introduce a new setting/concept into the MCU like the Cancerverse. You cannot however, do something super huge like bring in a new Infinity Stone or reboot the entire MCU. I'll leave it up to you to decide where the line between semi-major and super huge actually is. Bottom line is; this game wont have the reach the movies do, so whatever you do cant impact the MCU so heavily that the change cant quickly and easily be consumed by the general audience the next time they walk into a theater.

You must introduce a new villain, who will be the big bad behind the game. This villain can recruit established villains, but s/he has to be the ones pulling the strings. This villain does not have to be tied to the hero you introduce, but can be if you want.

Try to keep it relatively restricted to what current gen game systems can actually do. No "My game is an open world explorer and covers every square inch of New York, Wakanda, and the Kree homeworld of Hala!" or "My game is a virtual reality simulator where you get to wear the Iron Man suit!"
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'd do an RPG MMO similar to DC Online.

You're a brand new Inhuman with super powers. You're found by Daisy and SHIELD, and you begin training to use your powers and battle the forces of evil, meeting the various super heroes in the MCU along the way and inevitably joinging the Avengers and battling Thanos.

When you say we have to introduce a new hero, do you mean completely new hero with our imagination or someone from the comics?

Because I really prefer the latter.
    Last edited by Captain M; 12-13-2015 at 04:01 PM.

Amazing Member

Honestly, this may come off as a bit lazy, but a Shang-Chi game done in the same style as "Sleeping Dogs." With Shang working to bring down his father's criminal organization from the inside.

I'm actually a little annoyed that we don't have more games, due to the success of the MCU. I would do:

A third-person-view Captain America game. It'd be in the veins of Saints Row 3, where you get to wonder the city and run into interesting characters, trying to thwart Hydra's plans. I would borrow quite a few game-mechanics from other games. Mainly, there would be a power-meter that would be used for various effects, just like Saints Row 3.

The power meter could be used to time how long Cap could run really fast. He'd be faster than all the other characters and would be able to out-run or catch up to vehicles like cars and motorcycles. This meter would be self-refreshing and could also be used to enter a bullet-time like mode, where Cap takes out bad guys with punches, kicks, aerial moves and shield tosses and ricochets. I would add special moves like being able to use the meter to charge up a battering ram type run and then bowl opponents over with his shield, like the Marvel vs. Capcom games. He would also be able to use the slowed time to put together a massive amounts of combos, as well as dodge projectiles or even deflect them back.

I would also give Cap his motorcycle, for traversing the city. He would have a vast New York City to protect and he would need a vehicle to get around, so it has to be his motorcycle.

I think all of this is very doable, but I don't know there seems to be this lack of cool Marvel character games.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I think given my love for the character, the new hero would be Captain Britain, aka Brian Braddock. One can argue that he might belong rights wise to both companies but for the sake of argument assume Marvel Studios can and decides to use him. He'd be played by Dan Stevens and the intention is actually to further develop the character into a Thor/Captain Britain movie in Phase 4, which will end up being a series of team up movies leading up to the next big event, Secret Wars. But I think the game would be a story based Ultimate Alliance style game with all the core MCU characters. For a new villain, maybe the Grandmaster, brother of the Collector and played by David Warner, who is behind the manipulation of several super villains and criminals across time and space. In reality the Grandmaster himself is being influenced by the Beyonder who will basically be the Thanos of Phase 4.

That's as much as I can think of, anyway.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 !!

A Black Widow game starring all the movie actors and their likenesses that you need to explore her backstory and adventures in the present. A cross between Jame s Bond, Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell with some fighting elements from the Arkham games. Hell, get Rocksteady to do it.

Also, I have a theory that the 2017 Telltale Marvel game will be in the MCU. It would explain the long gap from announcement to release. They'd need to position it in the canon.

BANNED

I'd just hand over the entire shebang to Bioware or Obsidian Entertainment and tell them to go nuts, just as long as at no point will there be any kind of multi-player component involved.

I'd rather someone find a way to revive the concept of that Avengers FPS that almost got made.

Keeping with that gameplay idea, you'd have a cast of MCU heroes. I'd go primarily for those with some sort of physicality to them: Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk, Black Widow, Hawkeye, War Machine, Winter Soldier, the Vision, Black Panther, Spider-Man and Captain Marvel.

I'd implement some sort of support hero system where you could call in additional characters for an assist, like in the first Marvel vs. Capcom or the the Marvel Heroes RPG. Ant-Man, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Sif, Sharon Carter, Agent Coulson, Maria Hill, and whoever else like that.

Obligatory DLC down the line allowing you to play as the Netflix heroes.

It's lazy I guess but I'd love to see a Daredevil game in the vein of the Arkham series. Imagine running around the rooftops of the MU Hell's Kitchen, using your super-hearing to pick out distressed shouts and then dropping down on top of muggers etc. The combat could work very similarly to the Arkham games but you'd incorporate the billy clubs instead of the gadgets. Rebounding clubs bouncing off enemies or using them as a bo-staff. You could also 'enter the void,' where your screen swaps to DD's way of 'seeing,' everything. You would enter a building and take all the lights out and then drop in on top of Kingpin goons or whatever. You could come into contact with other more street level heroes at different junctures- Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist. Enemies would include the various mobsters of the Kingpin, the Owl and any other crime lords and the Hand.

The above could work really well for a Spider-Man game too. A long and involved story punctuated with side missions and just swinging around NYC having fun busting up bank robberies and catching stolen cars etc.
    Last edited by GallowGlass; 12-13-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'd do an RPG MMO similar to DC Online.

You're a brand new Inhuman with super powers. You're found by Daisy and SHIELD, and you begin training to use your powers and battle the forces of evil, meeting the various super heroes in the MCU along the way and inevitably joinging the Avengers and battling Thanos.
    Definitely would want this. Hopefully with better Devs though than dcuo though and more open world stuff.

A. An Action adventure game in the same reign as a Telltale game or Life is Strange but you're playing as a member of Damage Control. You stumble on the SHIELD is HYDRA conspiracy and try to warn Avengers and others.

b. A remake of Captain America and the Avengers.

something like age of empires with the many kingdoms marvel has
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

I would love to have a game like unto the MMO City of Heroes, but within the Marvel Universe. The Diablo style Marvel game we have now... is ok... but I would rather design a hero, again like COH. I miss that game
    Endeavor to persevere.