Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Torment

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Read an article way back with McFarlane explaining his writing process. It basically boiled down to: draw some cool pages, then lay the pages on the floor and start shuffling them around until they look like a story.

Seriously.
    I believe it and, by the way, this approach was certainly not limited to Todd McFarlane. This was the just the dawn of the 1990's where art dominated and writing was secondary; I, for one, am glad that era is over.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

To this day, I have never read Torment. It fell during a short stretch when I wasn't reading comics, if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    To this day, I have never read Torment. It fell during a short stretch when I wasn't reading comics, if memory serves.
    Oh, it's definitely worth seeking out although, as I mentioned earlier, it is the art that really drives this story rather than the writing---just my opinion but it is a worthwhile story to experience for yourself to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Oh, it's definitely worth seeking out although, as I mentioned earlier, it is the art that really drives this story rather than the writing---just my opinion but it is a worthwhile story to experience for yourself to be sure.
    I hope to get around to it eventually. My reading has really fallen off with the holiday season, as it seems like there's an event every day now. Not that I think that's a bad thing, mind you, it's just been hectic!

I do find it interesting that McFarlane's solo work is incredibly dark, and yet the thing I loved most about his ASM run with Michelinie is the energy and humor he injected into the series.

I think he had a real talent for doing tongue-in-cheek stuff without sacrificing the dramatic elements. You took threats like Venom seriously, but Peter and MJ were a lot of fun.

Here is the story for Torment:

Raaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrwwwwwrwrw!

There ya go.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Here is the story for Torment:

Raaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrwwwwwrwrw!

There ya go.
    I find the seventh 'r' to be an intriguing plot choice, so yeah, I'll definitely check that out.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I believe it and, by the way, this approach was certainly not limited to Todd McFarlane. This was the just the dawn of the 1990's where art dominated and writing was secondary; I, for one, am glad that era is over.
    And now Artists are "struggling" to get credit when a book is talked about or announced, if you read their tweets...times are A changin'

Quote Originally Posted by HAVOK78 View Post
    And now Artists are "struggling" to get credit when a book is talked about or announced, if you read their tweets...times are A changin'
    It does depend on the artist.

If John Cassady draws a comic, it's going to be well known that he's the one drawing it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I hope to get around to it eventually. My reading has really fallen off with the holiday season, as it seems like there's an event every day now. Not that I think that's a bad thing, mind you, it's just been hectic!

I do find it interesting that McFarlane's solo work is incredibly dark, and yet the thing I loved most about his ASM run with Michelinie is the energy and humor he injected into the series.

I think he had a real talent for doing tongue-in-cheek stuff without sacrificing the dramatic elements. You took threats like Venom seriously, but Peter and MJ were a lot of fun.

That is an interesting observation about McFarlane's work and the change in it once he had control---and it was also reflected in "Spawn". I suppose that was the direction his creative juices were pointed at and his earlier work on ASM was more or less controlled by David Michelenie's scripts and likely even editorial (though he did portray---for the first time in Spidey history---a truly terrifying and monstrous Lizard in ASM #313).

In all fairness, I might make fun of Mets. but I'm in no position to. I'm a fan of "The Name Of The Rose" and anyone who's read that story knows that's as bad as it gets.