Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Netflix would be great. Fantastic Four could be like Marvel's version of Lost in Space.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    One thing I think we don't need is another origin story. Marvel are learning that lesson slowly, the way to do origin stories is bring them up naturally as the story you are telling unfolds. (Unless the origin story itself is compelling, which I really don't think F4's is.) You could do a ten minute pre-credit sequence for the origin without really skipping much. To be honest I quite liked the 2005 version, and I felt the exploration of the changes was dealt with well. Doom not so much. It didn't dwell on the origin to much but possibly didn't have a vary compelling story either.

One of the main reasons I decided to give the latest movie a skip was because I am bored of long origin stories for their own sake.
    Fox would be crazy to do yet another origin movie and the latest news on that front is Fox quietly pulled the sequel from their release schedule. As a long time Fantastic Four fan, I fear that the window of opportunity to make a truly worthy Fantastic Four film is rapidly closing. Stark and other characters have already taken Reed's spot in the MCU. He'd probably have to get in line behind Banner who lacks his own Hulk franchise to boost his importance.

They could be retrofitted into the MCU by saying that they had just returned after being gone for several years. They could have been marooned in the Negative Zone or using some new means to explore the galaxy. I almost hesitate to use that because Marvel's movies have been heavy on interdimensional travel as with the two Thor movies. Annihilus would make a great almost Alien like menace to face. Or you could have them be captured by a scarier version of the Skrulls who would impersonate them on Earth much like the first time they appeared in FF. I think there would be a better chance of them guesting in one of the other franchise movies like the Avengers than there is getting a solo. If the fates were kind, Fantastic Four should have been the gateway movie to the MCU much like the FF was were the MU was born in comics but that can never happen now

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The big question IMO should be: "What makes FF different from X-Men or Avengers or GOTG?" Unless you can find the reason to bring a plot and adventure to a different franchise, why not just do it with what you have? The FF is family, far more than any other comic book franchise (at least in American superhero stuff). Doom has the professional rivalry with Reed going for him. Namor has the romantic rivalry. Puppet Master has Ben dating Alicia. A witch babysat Franklin.

I'd want to go back with an extended origin story showing off the four actually teaming up and stealing a rocket to do something heroic that only Reed sees. This is where we'd see Reed and Sue's relationship. Johnny and Sue's sibling nature. Ben and Reed's offbeat friendship and Ben and Johnny's frenemy teasing. Our characters are set before they get the powers which separate them from other people. Start the movie with a focus on Manhattan, looking at the island and how human it appears. Pan out until you see the Baxter Building and the flare shooting up eventually making a giant number 4.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the latest few FF movies. The idea of a younger Reed seems really off to me. I like the idea of Reed and Ben older than Sue by a few years and Sue a few years older than Johnny. That's the difference between the FF and the Teen Titans, or any of the 943 young people group franchises currently out there. The FF is family, they're as much breakfast scenes as they are cosmic extravaganzas. I want to see Ben complaining about out of Lucky Charms and Johnny whining about Reed not having improved on a Keurig. There's a firehouse feel when the team has to leave in the middle of something to deal with Galactus on their roof.

Stick with the Lee/Kirby or Byrne or Hickman stylings. Go crazy with the Hickman or Simonson science fiction, but without the home feel, it's not the FF for me.

A heavily resounding AMEN(!!) to all of the above. As much as I still feel that the GOTG have been and still are practically being groomed to 'replace' the FF* (which makes me feel slightly guilty of coming to terms with actually remotely liking the film GOTG after being rather outspoken about Marvel obviously playing them up to eventually replace the FF as the main cosmic/science-fiction outfit) they can and will never, EVER lay claim to every last 'different'/'something for everyone' aspect that the FF had going for them back in the day. Speaking of that and Agatha Harkness and Franklin, if there truly was something I do and will forever wish the FF had a little bit more of, it is most definitely supernatural fare. The supernatural side of things made for some surprisingly not bad stories from the Doug Moench run (FF #222-223) and later half of Byrne's (FF #276-277), among others...heck, it even kicked off the Byrne run (FF #232). It's a shame the supernatural was not utilized more than it was in FF.

But going back to how much I wholeheartedly agree and some with the above quoted post...it's thoroughly nice to know I am not the only one who does not care at all for the push for the FF, or at least Reed, Ben, and Sue to be younger. I don't have a problem with Reed and Ben being in their early forties/around the beginnings of middle age, nor Sue being in her thirties, and NEVER had a problem with it since falling in love with the FF as a ten year old girl. Heck, Reed and Ben being the oldest and the ages they originally were never stopped them from becoming my favorite members from pretty much the get-go. The age thing is among the many, MANY reasons I am actually glad the latest FF movie bombed like it did...if it makes me a 'bad fan' to say that, then so be it. But honestly, the recent film FF were not only NOT at all like the original FF, but were also a poor man's version of the Ultimate FF upon which they were advertised to be based.

In addition to Lee/Kirby, Byrne, Simonson, and maybe Hickman (a definitely if sans overexposure and use of the kids), I would also throw in Wolfman for someone whose FF influences could make a bonafide FF movie (if such a thing will ever remotely exist) rock that much harder.

* - Think about it...a 'motley crew' of characters with personalities that tend to clash time and again? Check. Said characters somehow, someway always pull together and use teamwork to varying degrees to best their opposition? Check. Really, the grandest differences between the FF and the Guardians are that the movie/core Guardians have one more member, the Guardians are all varying alien versus the FF's 100% human (altered human, but human none-the-less), and the FF have the added 'melting pot of social classes' factor (Reed equals upper class, the Storms are middle class, and Ben is lower class). You couple the very latter with the uber-science fiction the FF title has overall displayed more often than not, and you got not only something that was/is a lot more intellectual than many upon many realize, but also something so much more unique that try as hard as they might, the Guardians and Marvel can never, ever replace the FF. Makes Marvel's 'tude and the Fox fracas all that much more a lowdown dirty shame, to say the very least.
    "Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

I would prefer they remain in comics and animated form. No more live action attempts, it's just too complex for some studios. Well minus the 2005 version, which was actually enjoyable and captured the spirit.

All Marvel needs for the cinematic universe are the various characters that are connected to the Fantastic Four.
    Last edited by Bunai; 12-15-2015 at 02:10 PM.
    aka(s). o-bunⓐi-o // ⓓcembⓘrth

Sorry for any misspellings or grammar mistakes

Last edited by Crazed T'Challa x Emma x Namor shipper; Yesterday at 00:00 UM.

Better casting would be a good start. Especially for the roles of Reed and Doom. Johnny and Ben always seemed to be cast with charismatic actors, so gotta do that for every role.

Make Doom a bad ass. No torn feelings about Reed and the rest. Just hate and spite. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing the Mole Man and his creatures attacking the Baxter Building.

Less origin story, and more conflict with villains. Start the movie with them already in the ship and minutes later being hit by cosmic rays.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

So any decision of whether there will be a sequel in the works?

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I am less worried about tv/movies...my burning desire is to see the Silver Age Icons of Marvel with their own SUCCESSFUL comic again...

I agree that them returning to their comic glory, is more important to me also.

Mantis Girl, Crimz, I'm with you both on that. With all my heart! Let's cross fingers and make a wish...

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Netflix would be great. Fantastic Four could be like Marvel's version of Lost in Space.
    Ironic to say since Netflix has just gotten a rebooted version of Lost in Space planned, apparently.

One idea I've had about FF on Netflix is that when you do it, you release two things at once - a 13 episode run for the Fantastic Four, LEADING to their first encounter with Doom but making him a significant background player, AND a 8 episode mini series run for Doom himself, going parallel to the other series and showing his origins in a similar way to Brubaker's Books of Doom series - trying to secure his mother, taking over Latveria etc. The objective is to make Victor someone you can kind of sympathize with, but also show what an imposing badass he happens to be.

Something else I want to see regardless - the kids. We know that younger Reed and Sue doesn't work so go the opposite spectrum and let them be a family, complete with Franklin and Valeria in the long run.

As someone who has been dying for the F4 to return to Marvel so they can be integrated into the MCU..I have been thinking heavily about the use of Doom and the F4....No new F4 film anytime soon...not yet....introduce them in other Marvel films...also, Mads Mikkelsen is playing a mysterious villain in Dr. Strange...I say make him Doom...besides he was born to play that character anyway.

The F4 make their first appearance in Infinity War...they close the movie out with Thanos defeat...the heroes are celebrating, amidst the rubble in Times Square, a portal opens up and the F4 step out...Richards and the family look around...Reed says,"Family we are home!"

Post credit sequence...much like Avengers 1 set up our main villain over 3 phases, Thanos, now our next mega villain comes...

Latveria...a look around the village before camera zooms in on the castle....an armored figure sits on his throne, watching the footage of the F4 coming out of the portal...he zooms in on Mr. Fantastic's face...stands up with his drink in his hand and we see the armored visage of Dr. Doom...Doom crushes the drink and says with such contempt, RICHARDS! End movie....

Phase 4---setting up Doom as the ultimate threat

Phase 5---Each film sets up the arrival of Galactus

Phase 6---Doom's ultimate triumph as he becomes supreme...SECRET WARS

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

That's nearly half a decade of many movies centering around a property that has, repeatedly, not done amazingly.

I love the FF. Even I wouldn't greenlight that.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

I love how this is talked about, as if Marvel/Disney has the rights to the F4 now.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd set them up as Cold War astronauts who get lost in space and suddenly return to the present. They get stuck in some wormhole (maybe due to Silver Surfer inadvertently passing by) and return pretty much as if only a year or so has passed.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    That's nearly half a decade of many movies centering around a property that has, repeatedly, not done amazingly.

I love the FF. Even I wouldn't greenlight that.
    I like his idea about a Netflix series. I'd wish for Books of Doom being done that way.

Quote Originally Posted by HeWhoSlapsAll View Post
    I love how this is talked about, as if Marvel/Disney has the rights to the F4 now.
    It's Christmas time....maybe Santa Doom will work his magic

I do wonder if there are some quiet negotiations going on between the two studios. But they removed the sequel from their schedule and replaced it with another film in productions. Something's going on in Fox's decision making

Fox released the Fantastic Four DVD with very little fanfare. I saw it was in the Best Buy advert this week. Maybe I will watch it on ppv.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-16-2015 at 10:05 AM.