Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default DC President Diane Nelson Says Female Representation a Priority

At Time Warner's annual shareholder meeting, DC Entertainment president Diane Nelson spoke of the importance of female characters and creators.

Full article here.

All-New Member

What great timing this is, considering DC's current bombshell covers.

Yet, whilst the chattering classes blabber on, paying lip-service to 'proper' conduct, them covers are flying off them shelves.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drumanespic View Post

Yet, whilst the chattering classes blabber on, paying lip-service to 'proper' conduct, them covers are flying off them shelves.
    Whilst at the same time the current centrepiece of the Bat Titles is pushing Stephanie Brown, Harper Row, Vicki Vale, Julia Pennyworth whilst repurposing Catwoman into a stronger position. Supergirl is in three titles, we have Helena Bertinelli back, Wonder Woman is in three non-League titles if you include "Sensation Comics" and Stargirl is being given a strong push to prominence.

Take cheap shots if you will - God knows I do, some of those Bombshell covers were a baaa-aaad idea - but DC are pushing a number of female characters a great deal.

Where I live, there's a pretty active "burlesque" scene and a general subculture of girls/women who view all that kind of retro "sexy" stuff as harmless fun. So the female staff at my LCS generally love the covers, actively point them out to buyers and want some of them as posters. I pointed out the rather harsh CBR article decrying the covers and it prompted much eye-rolling and "whatever, it's the internet"-type comments. I stayed out of it because I don't have an opinion either way as retro anything just isn't my scene.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Where I live, there's a pretty active "burlesque" scene and a general subculture of girls/women who view all that kind of retro "sexy" stuff as harmless fun. So the female staff at my LCS generally love the covers, actively point them out to buyers and want some of them as posters. I pointed out the rather harsh CBR article decrying the covers and it prompted much eye-rolling and "whatever, it's the internet"-type comments. I stayed out of it because I don't have an opinion either way as retro anything just isn't my scene.
    I see girls liking them, I liked it. But the problem that the article pointed is that comics continue to pander to male demographic. If Marvel did Bombshells , no doubt they would include male superheroes.

Invincible Member

I'm assuming they're talking about the lack of females in DC's film and TV projects. I think the unnamed shareholder has a point. However, I think there's more to it than just lack of female execs. There's resistance from some producers and advertisers to female led shows and movies that aren't part a safe genre. There's the idea that it's easier to get women to watch male led project than the other way around...There's people who pull cartoons if too many girls watch them because they think they won't be able to advertise boys toys on them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I see girls liking them, I liked it. But the problem that the article pointed is that comics continue to pander to male demographic. If Marvel did Bombshells , no doubt they would include male superheroes.
    Have Marvel done anything like that?

This is meant to be the "Selfie" variant for Grayson #2, btw.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/583ff30c0...qzeco1_500.jpg

Re member

The bombshell covers are mild, less prurient than what you'll see on any street corner most warm spring days, and significantly less sexual than most of those character's regular outfits. And of course they're flying off the shelves, specialty gimmick covers always sell well.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I think a lot of people look at that type of sexuality as more tongue and cheek and fun and something that women can participate in as opposed to other depictions that are at lot more reductive.

I'm aware that in the 90's that Marvel did a swimsuit issue and included male characters, but I'm not 100% sure that if they do the same now with a bombshell event. Maybe they would, but only if they saw DC get negative reaction first.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Claude;19175

Take cheap shots if you will - God knows I do, some of those Bombshell covers were a [I
    baaa-aaad[/I] idea - but DC are pushing a number of female characters a great deal.
    I don't think I was taking a cheap shot, although they do make it easy sometimes. I was simply amused by the timing and the pertinence in this undeniable coincidence.

I agree with you regarding female characters being pushed at DC. I for one have often gone along with Gail Simone's wise words regarding DC's overall intentions, especially as it was often not her responsibility to be their only effective spokesperson.

And I remain quietly confident that behind closed doors, DC anticipated and enjoyed this controversy's 'coverage' along with the
    resultant healthy bump in sales.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Have Marvel done anything like that?

This is meant to be the "Selfie" variant for Grayson #2, btw.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/583ff30c0...qzeco1_500.jpg
    this is true? what is your source?

Marvel done swimsuits specials in 90s

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think a lot of people look at that type of sexuality as more tongue and cheek and fun and something that women can participate in as opposed to other depictions that are at lot more reductive.
    Yeah, pretty much. Very much nostalgia based, but with the woman more in control. Not to mention that a lot of them show a lot less skin than many more recent costumes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

I'm aware that in the 90's that Marvel did a swimsuit issue and included male characters, but I'm not 100% sure that if they do the same now with a bombshell event. Maybe they would, but only if they saw DC get negative reaction first.
    Yeah, Bomshells are in very good taste for me.

they made Loki into a very attractive young men, don't understimate Marvel, they really keep a eye on the women. DC should do the same.

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Whilst at the same time the current centrepiece of the Bat Titles is pushing Stephanie Brown, Harper Row, Vicki Vale, Julia Pennyworth whilst repurposing Catwoman into a stronger position. Supergirl is in three titles, we have Helena Bertinelli back, Wonder Woman is in three non-League titles if you include "Sensation Comics" and Stargirl is being given a strong push to prominence.

Take cheap shots if you will - God knows I do, some of those Bombshell covers were a baaa-aaad idea - but DC are pushing a number of female characters a great deal.
    Don't forget Harley Quinn. She's probably the most popular female in comics right now. She has best-selling comic, appears in a best-selling video game series (Rocksteady's Arkham), is showing up in the forthcoming animated movie based on the aforementioned game, had a brief tease in Arrow (a show with high fanfare) and is the subject of statues, prints, posters, gimmicks, etc.

All that's left for Harley is a cinematic debut.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

I know a number of fangirls who love the Bomb Shell covers.