Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Return to the norm: Well "meat and potatoes" it is. It was really fun and genuinely innovative for a time. Those first few issues of Truth were some of the best Superman comics since Pak's in between event books. I know without a doubt Pak and his team had something really amazing to say about the character. But editorial or whoever pulled back and had them change it. The last few issues were not up to Pak's quality at all and devoid of Kuder's art, and I must assume clunky rewrites are the reason. You dreamed too big Pak. I'll be fine with some good ol "meat and potatoes".

SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN: Mr. Landis, every single cover and solicit entices me more and more. Like are you seeing that pulp-ish cover?! I mean like are you REALLY SEEING IT!!!! And I literally just got done looking at the new AMAZING JL #46 art by FRANCIS MANAPUL and they I find out that he's doing the art for this issue too! I can't actually be happier.

So many possibilities, questions, and notions all rush through my head when I read that solicit and look at that cover. This "training wheel" look that Landis has come up with is so evocative and eye catching. I can't love it more than I already do!

I was thinking this should be added too. The original title was "Batman/Superman vs the Master Race", if I remember correctly.

DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE #4
    Written by FRANK MILLER and BRIAN AZZARELLO
    Art by ANDY KUBERT and KLAUS JANSON
    Minicomic art by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS
    Cover by ANDY KUBERT

On sale MARCH 16
    32-pg comic: 6.375” x 10.1875”
    16-page minicomic: 5.5” x 8.5”
    FC, 4 of 8, $5.99 US
    Retailers: This issue will ship with six covers. Please see the order form for more information.
    The Master Race will rise. Cities will fall. Bruce Wayne is dead. What will the heroes of the world do to save it?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Return to the norm: Well "meat and potatoes" it is. It was really fun and genuinely innovative for a time. Those first few issues of Truth were some of the best Superman comics since Pak's in between event books. I know without a doubt Pak and his team had something really amazing to say about the character. But editorial or whoever pulled back and had them change it. The last few issues were not up to Pak's quality at all and devoid of Kuder's art, and I must assume clunky rewrites are the reason. You dreamed too big Pak. I'll be fine with some good ol "meat and potatoes".
    Not sure I agree about it being a return to "meat and potatoes" as opposed to a return to actual Superman.

The idea was sound but gods Pak's book was horrible and Yang's wasn't too good either (though Yang's was kinda awesome at first, it was Pak that kinda ruined it by going forward and spoiling things and not being as good a writer to do that).
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-14-2015 at 08:51 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Intrigued by Yang's new arc but don't like the cover. Seems like that version of the costume just isn't taking with the rest of the line.

Love what Adams is doing, on the other hand. AA should also be sweet.

Yeah, JRJR doing the #50 cover is a let down. Since its a return to the costume Porter should have done it. I mean, its not that big a deal as we'll see his rendition inside, but still.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Not sure I agree about it being a return to "meat and potatoes" as opposed to a return to actual Superman.

The idea was sound but gods Pak's book was horrible and Yang's wasn't too good either (though Yang's was kinda awesome at first, it was Pak that kinda ruined it by going forward and spoiling things and not being as good a writer to do that).

I disagree completely. I thought Pak's first few issues before the obvious rewrites and redraws were some of the best Superman comics around. For me it was a truly inspired retelling of the socially conscious neighborhood strongman of the depression ear. That guy that gave all of our civil unrest a and passion form and power, but this time the people were still their to stand by their strongman. It seemed like the story was going somewhere really interesting and then, well, obvious rewrites are obvious.

Pak's not for everyone, I truly get that, but sometimes I it seems like you're talking about another writer, man lol. But oh well, live and let live.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN: Mr. Landis, every single cover and solicit entices me more and more. Like are you seeing that pulp-ish cover?! I mean like are you REALLY SEEING IT!!!! And I literally just got done looking at the new AMAZING JL #46 art by FRANCIS MANAPUL and they I find out that he's doing the art for this issue too! I can't actually be happier.

So many possibilities, questions, and notions all rush through my head when I read that solicit and look at that cover. This "training wheel" look that Landis has come up with is so evocative and eye catching. I can't love it more than I already do!
    Suit's pretty nice, does what the Smallville proto-costume was aiming for a lot better. Good call on the pulp vibe.

Couple things about the last two issues: the last issue will be by Jock, I believe show Superman's fight with Doomsday (and given that Landis has said his take on the Death of Superman is canon to American Alien, it'll presumably be pretty similar, especially since his version takes place pretty early in Superman's career the same way this does), and will definitely have what Landis describes as "the most violent fight you’ve ever seen featuring Clark Kent".

Issue six has art by Jonathan Case (of Batman '66) and is "just about Clark having an awkward discussion with his friends from back home", and here, in fact, is a panel from that:

And here's something he posted awhile back that seems to be at least a preliminary script for that scene (possible spoilers, obviously):

Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Suit's pretty nice, does what the Smallville proto-costume was aiming for a lot better. Good call on the pulp vibe.

Couple things about the last two issues: the last issue will be by Jock, I believe show Superman's fight with Doomsday (and given that Landis has said his take on the Death of Superman is canon to American Alien, it'll presumably be pretty similar, especially since his version takes place pretty early in Superman's career the same way this does), and will definitely have what Landis describes as "the most violent fight you’ve ever seen featuring Clark Kent".

Issue six has art by Jonathan Case (of Batman '66) and is "just about Clark having an awkward discussion with his friends from back home", and here, in fact, is a panel from that:

And here's something he posted awhile back that seems to be at least a preliminary script for that scene (possible spoilers, obviously):

I think I'm in love. I really can't wait to see how Landis plays this out and develops Clark! Where'd you find this btw? Oh and I hear that the fight (idk if it's Lobo or Doomsday he's said both at different times I think) is inter cut with Clark and Lois having an argument.

Oh and I thought you might be interested to hear that Max Tweeted this "As you'll soon see, my Jimmy Olsen is black, and very probably gay, but it's part of a completely new take on the character."

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I think I'm in love. I really can't wait to see how Landis plays this out and develops Clark! Where'd you find this btw? Oh and I hear that the fight (idk if it's Lobo or Doomsday he's said both at different times I think) is inter cut with Clark and Lois having an argument.

Oh and I thought you might be interested to hear that Max Tweeted this "As you'll soon see, my Jimmy Olsen is black, and very probably gay, but it's part of a completely new take on the character."
    He posted both of those on his twitter feed. Didn't see that last bit though, so thanks; I'd heard about Lobo, but not that Doomsday was a replacement for that, and not about Jimmy at all. Despite my reservations about the guy, his take on Superman really is growing on me. While you're into it and the fire's hot, here's two other things he posted on Superman (I don't have the tweets in front of me at the moment, but I saved the dialogue at the same time I was finding that other stuff), the first on what about him as a concept that he finds interesting, the second on his personality:

"Thomas Ligotti (who’s a great writer but VERY depressing) said this in his seminal The Conspiracy Against The Human Race, 'This is the tragedy: Consciousness has forced us into the paradoxical position of striving to be unself-conscious of what we are – hunks of spoiling meat on disintegrating bones.' What he means is basically that, as conscious animals who will die in an uncaring universe, we have to try and forget that fact and embrace what’s happening, despite feeling shortchanged of 'greater meaning.' Clark is actually important in the universe, as much as something can be, and yet he wanders along that road with the rest of us, unable to embrace that aspect of himself without a costume."

"He’s not by nature an alpha guy, and even his style of Superheroing should reflect that. He lets experts call shots, he helps people help themselves, even criminals. He’s fascinated by criminals, and people in power in general, and is more interested in talking than fighting, almost always, unless you really tee him off. In his mind, whether he realizes it or not, he’s always trying to save you, or learn from you, or let you make the call. And it’s not just a power thing, it’s a facet of his personality, and in some ways a big handicap. I think he’s attracted to people he thinks are smarter than him; I think a big turn on socially and mentally and sexually for him is feeling like the person he’s interacting with is smarter than him or can teach him something. And I think this makes him more of a listener; he’s a clever guy, but he’s got little bits of confidence intertwined with insecurity that also kind of make him a quiet guy. He’s a little sneaky too, in partnership with this. He’s not a NICE guy, although he is very sweet. He’s cool. But it’s all effortless. He’s also very uncertain of the extent of his powers, and lives in quiet fear that they’ll either turn off completely at random or he’ll turn into something frightening and worse. But these feelings exist on a level that’s so subconscious you’d never see them unless something hit that nerve."
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 12-14-2015 at 10:17 PM.
    Buh-bye

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I don't know why but I already like the "flying man"'s look more than jeans and t-shirt Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    He posted both of those on his twitter feed. Didn't see that last bit though, so thanks; I'd heard about Lobo, but not that Doomsday was a replacement for that, and not about Jimmy at all. Despite my reservations about the guy, his take on Superman really is growing on me. While you're into it and the fire's hot, here's two other things he posted on Superman (I don't have the tweets in front of me at the moment, but I saved the dialogue at the same time I was finding that other stuff), the first on what about him as a concept that he finds interesting, the second on his personality:
    I'm telling you man, his take on Superman is infectious in how enthusiastic and honest he's being about the character (and also at the same time being very true to it). I actually heard that Lobo was the replacement for Doomsday but I may have misheard.

"Thomas Ligotti (who’s a great writer but VERY depressing) said this in his seminal The Conspiracy Against The Human Race, 'This is the tragedy: Consciousness has forced us into the paradoxical position of striving to be unself-conscious of what we are – hunks of spoiling meat on disintegrating bones.' What he means is basically that, as conscious animals who will die in an uncaring universe, we have to try and forget that fact and embrace what’s happening, despite feeling shortchanged of 'greater meaning.' Clark is actually important in the universe, as much as something can be, and yet he wanders along that road with the rest of us, unable to embrace that aspect of himself without a costume."
    Yeah this one was from his two part "regarding Clark" comments. A nice rule of thumb I've picked up with searching Landis' Superman stuff is that you should look for Clark and not Superman.

"He’s not by nature an alpha guy, and even his style of Superheroing should reflect that. He lets experts call shots, he helps people help themselves, even criminals. He’s fascinated by criminals, and people in power in general, and is more interested in talking than fighting, almost always, unless you really tee him off. In his mind, whether he realizes it or not, he’s always trying to save you, or learn from you, or let you make the call. And it’s not just a power thing, it’s a facet of his personality, and in some ways a big handicap. I think he’s attracted to people he thinks are smarter than him; I think a big turn on socially and mentally and sexually for him is feeling like the person he’s interacting with is smarter than him or can teach him something. And I think this makes him more of a listener; he’s a clever guy, but he’s got little bits of confidence intertwined with insecurity that also kind of make him a quiet guy. He’s a little sneaky too, in partnership with this. He’s not a NICE guy, although he is very sweet. He’s cool. But it’s all effortless. He’s also very uncertain of the extent of his powers, and lives in quiet fear that they’ll either turn off completely at random or he’ll turn into something frightening and worse. But these feelings exist on a level that’s so subconscious you’d never see them unless something hit that nerve."
    This is stone cold brilliant! Like seriously! He's tied together, in the most sly romantic and clever of ways possible, Lois, Lex, Batman and Jor-El to Superman. Even more than that it's a genuinely fresh way of going about Superman's heroics and personality. It seems (and I may be reaching) that his Superman doesn't even know he's got the instincts of a scientist in some ways. I'll have to see this in action more to really get a hold on it, so I REALLY hope he peppers this across American Alien's run (and hopefully his future Superman work).

Thank you so much for this find. Don't know how I could have missed it.

Astonishing Member

I'll never believe for one second that the meeting between the two Supermen was supposed to be part of the Truth storyline from the very beginning. And by the way, shouldn't bearded Superman's "S" belt reversed?
    This is embarassing. I mean, are they seriously trying to fix some of their problems with their Superman line with cheap ideas like this one?

Astonishing Member

For those of you who like American Alien, this is the first outline for the plot:
    He talked about his vision for a graphic novel called Seven Stories that "documents, in short-comic form, just six random moments in Clark Kent's life, from age 7 to 44: a haunted barn, a smart cop, a vacation gone wrong, first time being shot with a gun, a verbal fight with Lois intercut with a very physical fight with Lobo, a talk with Lex Luthor about the nature of humanity, and then the arrival of Doomsday.
    I think that the project evolved since he first announced it though, and the mention of a purple monster makes me think about the Parasite.

EDIT - By the way:http://brandonsneed.com/heres-max-la...tend-is-canon/
    He put it out there earlier today on Twitter, where he is @uptomyknees:

I will now offer you an invented Superman Kryptonian backstory that we can all pretend is canon.

Krypton was a planet engulfed in global civil war. A computer system called Brainiac was invented to keep the peace. This backfired. As the warring factions of Krypton united against Brainiac, Mon-Zod and Jor-El, a soldier and a scientist, worked frantically to fight back. They genetically engineered a superpowered Kryptonian warrior, called Doomsday.

The battle between Doomsday and Brainiac was cataclysmic.

In the aftermath on Krypton, a splinter group, “the Daxamites” caught Zod and condemned him to the Phantom Zone, before leaving the planet. As the Kryptonians died out in the planet’s now poison atmosphere, Jor-El blindly sent his infant son out into the universe. This final, desperate act of hope, would ultimately come to forever change the course of history on planet five solar systems away: Earth.
    Last edited by Myskin; 12-15-2015 at 02:02 AM.

Astonishing Member

I quote myself:

If they will really use bearded Superman to give to New52 Superman some lesson about life, heroism and love, it will be the lowest point ever reached by Superman writers since the beginning of New52. Even if it will have decent writing. Especially if bearded Superman will plant in New52 Superman's head some ideas about Lois.

It will be the definitive, absolute confirmation that nobody knows what the heck they should do with the character, and they aren't able to make him develop his own ethics and romantic life in any acceptable, relatable way. They need a cheap deus ex machina to push him in the direction they want. And the result won't be a Superman who behaves and has feeling because that's the result of his own growth. It will be a Superman who is what he is because it must be so.

By the way, why doesn't pre-FP Batman meet New52 Batman? Yeah, he didn't have a friggin' reboot.