Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I quote myself:

If they will really use bearded Superman to give to New52 Superman some lesson about life, heroism and love, it will be the lowest point ever reached by Superman writers since the beginning of New52. Even if it will have decent writing. Especially if bearded Superman will plant in New52 Superman's head some ideas about Lois.

It will be the definitive, absolute confirmation that nobody knows what the heck they should do with the character, and they aren't able to make him develop his own ethics and romantic life in any acceptable, relatable way. They need a cheap deus ex machina to push him in the direction they want. And the result won't be a Superman who behaves and has feeling because that's the result of his own growth. It will be a Superman who is what he is because it must be so.
    Rare case where I have to completely agree with you.

As for the solicits, mixed bag. On one hand American Alien sounds good, but that was given after amazing first issue. On the other hand Superman meets Superman story has potential to be a disaster. Furthermore, if I'm reading it right... Action Comics/SM-WW/Superman are in direct crossover? As in, read Action first, then read SM-WW and finish it off with Superman? Really, really not liking this since I'm not following SM-WW and have no intention to start doing it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Rare case where I have to completely agree with you.
    Gotcha :-)

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

One last piece of info from Landis: "Easily the strangest thing about my take on Superman is that it has a definitive beginning and end. Starts with destruction of Krypton, ends with Justice League saving the world from Darkseid. my Superman mythos is easy: Smallville -> Metropolis -> Luthor -> Parasite -> Lobo -> Batman -> Metallo -> Wonder Woman -> Bizarro -> Doomsday -> Brainiac -> Zod -> Mxyzptlk -> Luthor As President -> Metallo -> Versus Batman -> form JLA -> Ultra Humanite-> marry Lois -> Darkseid."

I guess he only fights each of them once, at least notably, given that it's noted when he confronts Metallo again. Presumably, along with American Alien and Death of Superman (the latter of which is clearly visible above), his personal DCU includes this truly astonishing script exercise he posted (as in, not going to be in American Alien) that serves to remind that, while he wrote Chronicle and the first issue of AA, he also still did that sillyass Superman/Joker story in AOS:

Buh-bye

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I like the look on the Superman/WW cover. No needless lines and over complicated crap....just essentially the classic look with a different belt and no trunks. For Rao's sake, DC, it's not THAT damned complicated!!!!! Just look at that...put yellow on the belt somewhere...and you got the look to use for the comics counterpart.
    Seconded.

Looking forward to American Alien the most.

Also, feel like the Supermen meeting should have been Jurgens' story to tell. Can't help but feel Yang is going to waste it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    One last piece of info from Landis: "Easily the strangest thing about my take on Superman is that it has a definitive beginning and end. Starts with destruction of Krypton, ends with Justice League saving the world from Darkseid. my Superman mythos is easy: Smallville -> Metropolis -> Luthor -> Parasite -> Lobo -> Batman -> Metallo -> Wonder Woman -> Bizarro -> Doomsday -> Brainiac -> Zod -> Mxyzptlk -> Luthor As President -> Metallo -> Versus Batman -> form JLA -> Ultra Humanite-> marry Lois -> Darkseid."

I guess he only fights each of them once, at least notably, given that it's noted when he confronts Metallo again. Presumably, along with American Alien and Death of Superman (the latter of which is clearly visible above), his personal DCU includes this truly astonishing script exercise he posted (as in, not going to be in American Alien) that serves to remind that, while he wrote Chronicle and the first issue of AA, he also still did that sillyass Superman/Joker story in AOS:

So I can't be the only one who thought this was hilarious. I was actually completely on board up to the point where Clark flips him off and tells him to suck his d***. Either way though, I thoroughly enjoyed that even if only for the ridiculousness of it.

Honestly, I'd like to see Clark take a stand like that with Bruce more often. Well, not exactly like that, for obvious reasons, but you get the idea. Someone needs to put the Batdouche in his place now and then and remind him that people are not just pieces on a chess board shaped like Gotham. And I do enjoy seeing Clark's temper show through, especially when its the righteous kind of anger brought out because someone is suffering who doesnt need to be.

As for the whole Superdad thing....it'll either be lots of fun or it'll be the worst moment in 52 Superman history. Im not sure which. But I fear Myskin is right and this will be used to point Superman in the "right" direction, rather than letting the character grow and evolve into his own shape.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Honestly, I'd like to see Clark take a stand like that with Bruce more often. Well, not exactly like that, for obvious reasons, but you get the idea. Someone needs to put the Batdouche in his place now and then and remind him that people are not just pieces on a chess board shaped like Gotham. And I do enjoy seeing Clark's temper show through, especially when its the righteous kind of anger brought out because someone is suffering who doesnt need to be.
    Personally speaking, I'd rather see Superman (and WW, and GL...) do his own thing. Not just because these days when he confronts Bats, he always appears as an ignorant dumbass (which is a bizarre reversal of the role he had in the 1980s, when he was the reasonable one and Bats was basically a psycho). I never understood why, but it is always as if Batman must be an integral part of Superman's life, even if Superman doesn't have the same weight for Batman. Bats appeared in Byrne's Man of Steel, Morrison's Action Comics... But in Year One, Zero Year, etc., there is no trace of Supes. It's always as if Superman must always play second fiddle to Bats. In modern times, the only Batman story which comes to my mind with Superman as a major player is HUSH.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Personally speaking, I'd rather see Superman (and WW, and GL...) do his own thing. Not just because these days when he confronts Bats, he always appears as an ignorant dumbass (which is a bizarre reversal of the role he had in the 1980s, when he was the reasonable one and Bats was basically a psycho). I never understood why, but it is always as if Batman must be an integral part of Superman's life, even if Superman doesn't have the same weight for Batman. Bats appeared in Byrne's Man of Steel, Morrison's Action Comics... But in Year One, Zero Year, etc., there is no trace of Supes. It's always as if Superman must always play second fiddle to Bats. In modern times, the only Batman story which comes to my mind with Superman as a major player is HUSH.
    I agree actually. In fact I've recently realized that even beyond the things you mentioned (Superman playing second fiddle, his decreased intelligence) there's a flaw in their interactions; that being that we feel the need to compare them too much. As far as I'm concerned Superman and Batman, when portrayed at what I consider to be their best, are not opposites. Yet it seems like every time they interact most writers can't resist the urge to polarize them as much as possible, and as a result we end up with disappointing Superman characterizations. For example while I'd consider optimism to be an important character trait for Superman I'd never say he's naive or blindly idealistic, yet in order to contrast him with Batman's cynicism he can often come off that way when they meet. Another example would be that Superman as I see him is to at least some degree a rebellious character (I know some will disagree), but he's often the one advocating cooperation with the authorities and working within the law whenever Batman's around. I actually think this goes a long way towards explaining Post-Crisis Superman's differences as a lot of the changes made to him there served to make him more of a foil to Bruce (their identities and their intelligence coming to mind). So yeah, even though I like both of the characters I've sort of gotten to a point where I'd rather they didn't interact much.

Spectacular Member Virile Agitur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Return to the norm: Well "meat and potatoes" it is. It was really fun and genuinely innovative for a time. Those first few issues of Truth were some of the best Superman comics since Pak's in between event books. I know without a doubt Pak and his team had something really amazing to say about the character. But editorial or whoever pulled back and had them change it. The last few issues were not up to Pak's quality at all and devoid of Kuder's art, and I must assume clunky rewrites are the reason. You dreamed too big Pak.
    this just reeks of....truth.

if Benes is just teasing us with that costume i'm going to be very upset. that's the costume Superman should be wearing all the time! no unnecessary lines and no stupid collar!

Amazing Member

Anyone know why isn't the DC site updated w/ the March books under the "Comics" section?