Default Paul Atreides vs Nightwing

Dune movie Paul takes on TV show Titans Nightwing in a weapons fight.

Dual swords vs Dual shock batons.

Who wins?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Paul Voices Nightwing at the bell. Nightwing goes to sleep or strangles himself or turns around and lets himself get stabbed. Late-movie, post Water of Life Paul Voiced the Reverend Mother and she could do F-all.

In pure HtH, sure, Nightwing could likely take this, but you didn't specify that...
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

I don't think Paul in the movie evinced any abilities in hand to hand combat that would allow him to really fight in h2h either tbh so it kind of feels like one sided in either direction
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

I sincerely doubt Dick is going to be able to relearn an entire fighting style on the fly to combat Paul’s shield and honestly bludgeoning weapons are utterly horrible options against them anyway since removing the speed removes practically all of their damage potential

Paul's a bit on the scrawny side, which was why in the books Feyd was able to have a close fight with him and had the advantage.

spoilers:
    That and Paul's stubbornness in using the Weirding Way in front of an audience that had Bene Gesserit sisters in it in order to spite them. He was sandbagging so he wouldn't have to use the Voice and owe them his victory while maintaining his integrity as an implanted messiah figure among the Freman so as not to spoil the honourable combat.
    end of spoilers

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Paul's a bit on the scrawny side, which was why in the books Feyd was able to have a close fight with him and had the advantage.

spoilers:
    That and Paul's stubbornness in using the Weirding Way in front of an audience that had Bene Gesserit sisters in it in order to spite them. He was sandbagging so he wouldn't have to use the Voice and owe them his victory while maintaining his integrity as an implanted messiah figure among the Freman so as not to spoil the honourable combat.
    end of spoilers
    This was even fairly obvious in the movie. Paul fought "on a level" with Feyd-Rautha when he had zero reason to do so. He could have simply said "cut your own throat" and the battle was over - and likely even MORE impressive. Herbert came up with some brilliant sci-fi but also was terrible with actual believable motives.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Eh, the reason Gen mentioned makes sense to me. Also just kind of makes sense in a sort of pride/to increasing his legend amongst warriors type thinking in the movie. "I don't need the Voice" and "I can see the future" makes sense to me.

And of course as someone mentioned elsewhere the best sci fi movies end with knife fights
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Was it at least a GOOD knife fight?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

It's about on the level of the other melee fights of Dune truthfully, which is to (at least for me) that the Dune movies aren't really (close combat) action movies and it's more about the impact of the things that happen in the fights (people getting shanked hard) than the things in the fights themselves. All the long range stuff though hits better and is pretty dope.

Still a great movie though for me
    Last edited by Postmania; 03-21-2024 at 12:27 PM.
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

was okay, it helped that Austin Butler was fantastic as Feyd despite his limited screen time