View Poll Results: Do you miss the old Jessica?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • I miss the old Jessica Jones.

12 57.14%
  • I like her better as Jessica Cage.

9 42.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Default Does anyone else miss the old Jessica Jones?

When Jessica Jones first appeared, she was a self loathing private eye detective who retired from being a super hero but still contributed to the community. Despite that it was still something that drove her to do right by people (for a reasonable price). Now she is an overprotective mom who back stabbed Luke twice (once during Secret Invasion and AXIS). I personally think having a family watered down the character. What do you think?
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

I think describing what she did in Axis as "bad stabbing" is a bit unfair given the circumstances.

But certainly there are downsides to characters "growing up" for lack of a better word. She had issues... and for the most part overtime she got over those issues (and people tend to do especially with the support of family). She went from a self loathing person to a mother and wife in a relatively good place. Unlike a lot of characters she was able to complete her character journey to a degree.

And on one hand it's to see characters not remain in the same place spinning their wheels indefinately. But on the other, it can sometimes means that characters grow out of certain character flaws which made them interesting. Characters growing and evoling is sort of a double edged sword.

I don't think having a family was a good move for her or Luke Cage tbh.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I don't think having a family was a good move for her or Luke Cage tbh.
    I'm sort of go back and forth as far as Jessica goes (because the Alias version probably still if my favorite) ... but I think Luke becoming a father and husband was definately good for the character. It really makes the character unique and allows writers to tell different kinds of stories you can't tell with other characters.

The only major character that's a husband and father apart from Cage is really Reed... but in a lot of ways he has such an unrelatable life to readers that you can't tell the same sort of stories and do the same sort of things with him.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think describing what she did in Axis as "bad stabbing" is a bit unfair given the circumstances.

But certainly there are downsides to characters "growing up" for lack of a better word. She had issues... and for the most part overtime she got over those issues (and people tend to do especially with the support of family). She went from a self loathing person to a mother and wife in a relatively good place. Unlike a lot of characters she was able to complete her character journey to a degree.

And on one hand it's to see characters not remain in the same place spinning their wheels indefinately. But on the other, it can sometimes means that characters grow out of certain character flaws which made them interesting. Characters growing and evoling is sort of a double edged sword.
    Wow, you my friend certainly have an interesting way with words. Well said.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Astonishing Member

I'm sort of go back and forth as far as Jessica goes (because the Alias version probably still if my favorite) ... but I think Luke becoming a father and husband was definately good for the character. It really makes the character unique and allows writers to tell different kinds of stories you can't tell with other characters.

The only major character that's a husband and father apart from Cage is really Reed... but in a lot of ways he has such an unrelatable life to readers that you can't tell the same sort of stories and do the same sort of things with him.
    I think the problem is Luke Cage is proactive in the hero community, while Jessica has become a rather passive house wife. I think Jessica can still be a wife and a mother and still be more proactive then she is now. She wouldn't be self destructive anymore, but I think it would be fun to see her as a PI.

The baby has definitely watered her down to a sort of one-note boring character. Yeah, characters evolve, and she shouldn't have stayed in a bad place like she was in Alias permanently. Her getting to a happy place is fine. But we see very little of it, and this doesn't seem like the sort of happy place she would have chosen. And as the Overlord said, Luke still goes out and does superhero stuff, but she get stuck doing the stay at home mom thing, we barely see her, just an occasional cameo. And thanks to the sliding timescale it will be many more years of her being stuck on the sidelines. It's a waste of a cool character, sends kind of a poor message, and seems against character. I mean, obviously, the baby needs looking after, but there are ways of handling that without neutering one of the parents. the Fantastic four seem to have managed without gutting Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I think Jessica can still be a wife and a mother and still be more proactive then she is now. She wouldn't be self destructive anymore, but I think it would be fun to see her as a PI.
    I don't think the baby would completely cure her of her PTSD and low self-esteem. It would be interesting to read a book about a superhero mom who is also trying to manage her PTSD along with her family and work. Needs the right team though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    The baby has definitely watered her down to a sort of one-note boring character. Yeah, characters evolve, and she shouldn't have stayed in a bad place like she was in Alias permanently. Her getting to a happy place is fine. But we see very little of it, and this doesn't seem like the sort of happy place she would have chosen. And as the Overlord said, Luke still goes out and does superhero stuff, but she get stuck doing the stay at home mom thing, we barely see her, just an occasional cameo. And thanks to the sliding timescale it will be many more years of her being stuck on the sidelines. It's a waste of a cool character, sends kind of a poor message, and seems against character. I mean, obviously, the baby needs looking after, but there are ways of handling that without neutering one of the parents. the Fantastic four seem to have managed without gutting Sue.
    Jessica did briefly return to being a super hero in New Avengers after Siege. But I think she quickly realized having a new born baby girl sort of effects ones priorities. Even with a baby sitter.

The in-story reason for Jessica just being a mom is that right how her child is a baby and she understandably wants to focus on that. The real reason of course is that she doesn't have her own solo book, which essentially leaves her a supporting person in whatever team book Cage happens to be on. All things considered Ewing and Bendis actually used her a fair amount. But certainly Jessica getting her own book doing PI stuff would be cool. Maybe down the road marvel will give it another shot. I think Jessica built a bit of momentum off the Net Flicks show.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I don't think she's particularly passive. And I haven't seen her backstab Luke at all. She's refused to put up with his BS, often with pretty good reason, but that's not backstabbing. She didn't sell him out, that I can recall.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Dont care about JJ but Bendis did screw up Cage when he got his hands on him outside of Alias.

Invincible Member

Having a baby wouldn't necessarily stop her from having adventures or solving mysteries. There's lots of moms in real life who are soldiers and cops. I imagine there might be a little of a "hands off" policy seeing that she's BMB's character and he maybe just doesn't have story for her at this point.
    Last edited by ed2962; 12-15-2015 at 05:11 AM.

I think you could bring back most of her more overt flaws by simply putting her back to work. Having a child doesn't magically remove those faults, and her continuing struggle with alcoholism, low self esteem and PTSD while being a working mother being a PI for a living would be fascinating to see unfold in depth.

Jess tends to feel overwhelmed and struggle through it without realizing how good she actually is as a person. She tends to not be on her own side and to bet against herself. But now she has a stable husband and family life, is respected and has overcome the darkest part of her life. But she must be feeling a tremendous pressure to not screw that up. And fear that it can't last, despite her happiness.

Adding the stresses of PI work to all that. And you've got someone just as flawed as she always was. But now with something to lose.

Man, Jessica Jones needs a new book...

Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    I think you could bring back most of her more overt flaws by simply putting her back to work. Having a child doesn't magically remove those faults, and her continuing struggle with alcoholism, low self esteem and PTSD while being a working mother being a PI for a living would be fascinating to see unfold in depth.

Jess tends to feel overwhelmed and struggle through it without realizing how good she actually is as a person. She tends to not be on her own side and to bet against herself. But now she has a stable husband and family life, is respected and has overcome the darkest part of her life. But she must be feeling a tremendous pressure to not screw that up. And fear that it can't last, despite her happiness.

Adding the stresses of PI work to all that. And you've got someone just as flawed as she always was. But now with something to lose.

Man, Jessica Jones needs a new book...
    Yeah, more than anything I think she just needs a solo book.

I was hoping she'd at least get a mini or something if she's got a Net Flicks show. They gave a lot of other characters a shot with the All New All Different line.

Yeah, more than anything I think she just needs a solo book.

I was hoping she'd at least get a mini or something if she's got a Net Flicks show. They gave a lot of other characters a shot with the All New All Different line.
    They've said they've talked to creators about it. I think they're waiting for someone with a really strong pitch. They want Jess to succeed.