View Poll Results: Do you miss the old Jessica?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • I miss the old Jessica Jones.

12 57.14%
  • I like her better as Jessica Cage.

9 42.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I don't think having a family was a good move for her or Luke Cage tbh.
    Been saying this for ages.

Felt like it tethered them both on a particular path that is difficult to stray from if you want to tell personal adventures with them.

Hasn't been a particularly memorable Jessica Jones story since 2004 with Alias.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Dont care about JJ but Bendis did screw up Cage when he got his hands on him outside of Alias.
    By making him more prominent than he'd been in years?

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Been saying this for ages.

Felt like it tethered them both on a particular path that is difficult to stray from if you want to tell personal adventures with them.

Hasn't been a particularly memorable Jessica Jones story since 2004 with Alias.
    Once she lost her own book, she essentially became a supporting character for Cage. And you can argue that's a step down, but really since she didn't have her own book being a supporting character of the leader of the Avengers when the book was the top selling on-going in the industry was probably the next best thing. There weren't any Jessica Jones stories per say... but she did play a moderately high profile role in some of the biggest stories at the time. That's about as much as you can ask for with a character that's doesn't have their own book.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Yeah. If where Cage is at now is the end result of being screwed up I hope Bendis screws up more of the characters I like.

Fingers crossed that Bendis screwing up Moon Knight awhile back will get a Net Flicks show. That would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Once she lost her own book, she essentially became a supporting character for Cage. And you can argue that's a step down, but really since she didn't have her own book being a supporting character of the leader of the Avengers when the book was the top selling on-going in the industry was probably the next best thing. There weren't any Jessica Jones stories per say... but she did play a moderately high profile role in some of the biggest stories at the time. That's about as much as you can ask for with a character that's doesn't have their own book.
    "Moderately high profile role" is selling her a bit high imo. She was mostly wallpaper for the majority of the scenes that happened to include her. She came off as extremely unlikable and angry half the time.

Fingers crossed that Bendis screwing up Moon Knight awhile back will get a Net Flicks show. That would be awesome.
    A Netflix show based on Bendis's Moon Knight run would be the worst thing ever! That run is beyond unsalvageable.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

"Moderately high profile role" is selling her a bit high imo. She was mostly wallpaper for the majority of the scenes that happened to include her. She came off as extremely unlikable and angry half the time.

A Netflix show based on Bendis's Moon Knight run would be the worst thing ever! That run is beyond unsalvageable.
    Whether or not she was unlikable is subjective. But more than anything I think the important thing is that she continued to be used rather than falling into limbo with the thousands of other characters in marvel.

Had Bendis not continued Jessica's relationship with Cage after Alias, I think it's entirely fair to speculate we might not have a Jessica Jones Net Flicks show as we speak.

BANNED

Which is half as unlikable and angry as she was in her own series.

That said, I enjoyed the Bendis series. Hooked me, made me care about the character, then moved on rather than pounding it into dust by having 20 Alias minis. If having a kid and a husband and choosing to prioritize that over dressing up in silly costumes and punching folks is the worst that can be said about her (especially coming to that place from where she was), I'd say that's a hell of a compliment. Good on her, and good on the Mouse for not forcing her into an Avengers line-up to promote their TV IP.

Whether or not she was unlikable is subjective. But more than anything I think the important thing is that she continued to be used rather than falling into limbo with the thousands of other characters in marvel.
    Fair enough. I personally found little redeeming qualities due to much of her dialogue being plagued with curse words and yelling. And maybe we just have a different opinion on the matter, but I'd take limbo over being used poorly. That said, she did have a purpose, it just didn't do much to glorify her character imo.

Had Bendis not continued Jessica's relationship with Cage after Alias, I think it's entirely fair to speculate we might not have a Jessica Jones Net Flicks show as we speak.
    That's entirely possible, though it's just as likely not. And the possibility exists that we could've gotten something better as well. It seemed as if Alias was the primary motivating factor in pursuing the Netflix show though.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Which is half as unlikable and angry as she was in her own series.

That said, I enjoyed the Bendis series. Hooked me, made me care about the character, then moved on rather than pounding it into dust by having 20 Alias minis. If having a kid and a husband and choosing to prioritize that over dressing up in silly costumes and punching folks is the worst that can be said about her (especially coming to that place from where she was), I'd say that's a hell of a compliment. Good on her, and good on the Mouse for not forcing her into an Avengers line-up to promote their TV IP.
    For all the growth and development people claim she had, she was still mostly the same jaded detective with a foul mouth, only not as interesting. Like I said, few redeeming qualities, unlike her Alias series.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 12-15-2015 at 07:49 AM.

Upcoming Reading:

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    lol seriously

HOW DARE HE!

Cage having a kid works IMO. Works really well.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

It'd be kind of weird if she lost her family to a car wreck, was raised by a manipulative jerk as a a showpiece, then spent several years being raped and humiliated as a mind-controlled slave, but she was all smiles and nice words about everything.

I'd have assumed, if that was the case, that she was seriously broken.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I wish that Luke was back dating Claire Temple and Jessica had maintained her original characterization. I think it was a disservice to both characters to have them becomes husband and wife. There was so much great story potential that could have been explored with these characters.

Fair enough. I personally found little redeeming qualities due to much of her dialogue being plagued with curse words and yelling. And maybe we just have a different opinion on the matter, but I'd take limbo over being used poorly. That said, she did have a purpose, it just didn't do much to glorify her character imo.

That's entirely possible, though it's just as likely not. And the possibility exists that we could've gotten something better as well. It seemed as if Alias was the primary motivating factor in pursuing the Netflix show though.

For all the growth and development people claim she had, she was still mostly the same jaded detective with a foul mouth, only not as interesting. Like I said, few redeeming qualities, unlike her Alias series.
    I personal view is if we're talking about a character that isn't say Spider-Man or Wolverine I'd rather a character be used poorly in a high profile situation than not at all (not that I agree Jessica was poorly used). Bendis usage of Cage for example directly spilled over into Thunderbolts and Mighty Avengers. So even if one didn't personally like Cages usage of the character, it increased the odds of other writers using them. The more opportunities a character has to be used, the more opportunities they have to be used well. Sitting in limbo being forgotten about is always worse case scenario IMO.

Obviously if we're talking about a Spider-Man they're going to be used no matter what so that sort of logic doesn't necessarily apply. Spidey is just fine if Bendis had decided not to use him. But a character like Cage or Jessica Jones is an entirely different story. It's obvious from just looking at where they were prior to Bendis using them and where they are now. Though in Jessica's case I guess it's redundent to say she wasn't anywhere prior to Bendis because he made her.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    It'd be kind of weird if she lost her family to a car wreck, was raised by a manipulative jerk as a a showpiece, then spent several years being raped and humiliated as a mind-controlled slave, but she was all smiles and nice words about everything.

I'd have assumed, if that was the case, that she was seriously broken.
    I wouldn't say it's weird exactly. She's a strong person who found support in a good supportive husband and got better.

Which isn't to say under the right circumstances those old wounds couldn't in theory open up again... Killgrave shows up at her door again and I'm sure Jessica's not going to be all smiles. But people get on with their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rey Leopard View Post
    I wish that Luke was back dating Claire Temple and Jessica had maintained her original characterization. I think it was a disservice to both characters to have them becomes husband and wife. There was so much great story potential that could have been explored with these characters.
    I look it as this adding more options than it takes away.

Because he's one of the few fathers/husbands in the MU it allows him to tell stories that 99% of the MU can't really tell. There's plenty of street level characters in the MU... there's like 2 husbands/fathers. Maybe 1 if Reed isn't around these days. And that makes Cage unique.

But it's JUST an option. As we saw in Cages tenure in Thunderbolts, Lukes family can be completely ignored if a writer choses. Or they can be included if a writer chooses, as we saw with Ewing.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I wouldn't say it's weird exactly. She's a strong person who found support in a good supportive husband and got better.

Which isn't to say under the right circumstances those old wounds couldn't in theory open up again... Killgrave shows up at her door again and I'm sure Jessica's not going to be all smiles. But people get on with their life.
    They do. But it's got to take her awhile. And, y'know, Killgrave in jail or dead would help.

It took comics her awhile. It could take tv her awhile, too.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)