Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    At the very least they could let Pak play with the Clark and Lee dynamic now. But I doubt even that much.
    You're not seriously suggesting that a narrative with a male protagonist must feature the hero dating many different women rather than just one woman or else both he and his story will be boring?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    You're not seriously suggesting that a narrative with a male protagonist must feature the hero dating many different women rather than just one woman or else both he and his story will be boring?
    Is that what Sacred Knight was suggesting? I personally read it differently

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

From what I remember since the beginning Truth was set to end with issue 50, as well as Superheavy in Batman. In one of his first interviews, Yang revealed that in the 50th issue there'll be the storyline's payoff and that he had signed for just 12 issues. So, I think Truth's end wasn't rushed as it seems and from April we'll see how a fully powered Superman works without his secret identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    From what I remember since the beginning Truth was set to end with issue 50, as well as Superheavy in Batman. In one of his first interviews, Yang revealed that in the 50th issue there'll be the storyline's payoff and that he had signed for just 12 issues. So, I think Truth's end wasn't rushed as it seems and from April we'll see how a fully powered Superman works without his secret identity.
    Maybe rushed isn't the word for it (it's a buzz word at this point) but taken off track would be more apt. It seems pretty clear in the dropped plot threads, changed art (resulting in lack of Kuder), contradictory statements in interviews and in comics, blatant contradictions to plot and upcoming plot via solicit and interviews, 180 character switches mid arc, and just an all around sense of clear missing elements that were plainly laid out.

I'm sure issue 50 would've had Clark looking somewhat familiar but I think it would've been earned like Batman's Superheavy arc that I'm really really liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Is that what Sacred Knight was suggesting? I personally read it differently
    You read it right.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Lee is good for friend role, I don't get why superman can't be only friends with women.

Maybe rushed isn't the word for it (it's a buzz word at this point) but taken off track would be more apt. It seems pretty clear in the dropped plot threads, changed art (resulting in lack of Kuder), contradictory statements in interviews and in comics, blatant contradictions to plot and upcoming plot via solicit and interviews, 180 character switches mid arc, and just an all around sense of clear missing elements that were plainly laid out.

I'm sure issue 50 would've had Clark looking somewhat familiar but I think it would've been earned like Batman's Superheavy arc that I'm really really liking.
    As always, the problem is the execution. The thing that I liked less was the way in which each series was sort of aligned thematically to the other, instead of leaving the single writers free to explore different themes and situations. I mean... the first arc ended with Superman "banned" from Metropolis (AC) and Gotham (B/S), and "betrayed" by Lois (SM) and Diana(SM/WW). In the second arc, in all four serie, he was in search of his powers and who stole them. Too repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    As always, the problem is the execution. The thing that I liked less was the way in which each series was sort of aligned thematically to the other, instead of leaving the single writers free to explore different themes and situations. I mean... the first arc ended with Superman "banned" from Metropolis (AC) and Gotham (B/S), and "betrayed" by Lois (SM) and Diana(SM/WW). In the second arc, in all four serie, he was in search of his powers and who stole them. Too repetitive.
    See that's the thing. I'm pretty confident that it would've stayed separated but linked if they'd been allowed to "batgirl" some more. You can clearly see that where we are in Action has very little to do with the set up of the plot before. In Action there are loads of unsatisfied plot threads that have been light switched or glossed over so that Superman get to his "meat and potatoes" with little trouble.

This is the contradictions I was talking about. We were told they'd only be linked by the setting and that was true for like 3 or 4 really good issue and then it fell.

See that's the thing. I'm pretty confident that it would've stayed separated but linked if they'd been allowed to "batgirl" some more. You can clearly see that where we are in Action has very little to do with the set up of the plot before. In Action there are loads of unsatisfied plot threads that have been light switched or glossed over so that Superman get to his "meat and potatoes" with little trouble.

This is the contradictions I was talking about. We were told they'd only be linked by the setting and that was true for like 3 or 4 really good issue and then it fell.
    Yeah, the "switches" in Action are perhaps the most obvious. A missed opportunity to show again Superman as the champion of the oppressed.

You read it right.
    Well, what were you trying to say? Because in one post you suggest that Clark/Lois would be "mundane" and in the next you suggest playing around with a Lee/Clark romance, as if Clark being with Diana and then Lois would be too boring, and his playing the field would be less boring. I apologize if I misunderstood, though. Can you expand on your original thoughts to make them clearer?

Going back to the mundane was just a cranky way of saying I'm getting the feeling they're going back to the "all roads lead to Lois" angle. That's what I feel is tired. Not that Superman has to date a bunch of women and can't be with just one. Hell I liked him with the one he was with for the past few years. The idea that he will always go back to one specific woman is what irks me. And maybe they don't do that, maybe I'm just being a scrooge right now. But that's what is mundane, should Yang pull that card.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

lois and clark has nothing mundane, much the contrary. they are legendary love story that make people want to see it told over and over again.

maybe i could cut some slack if Lois treatment was good

Going back to the mundane was just a cranky way of saying I'm getting the feeling they're going back to the "all roads lead to Lois" angle. That's what I feel is tired. Not that Superman has to date a bunch of women and can't be with just one. Hell I liked him with the one he was with for the past few years. The idea that he will always go back to one specific woman is what irks me. And maybe they don't do that, maybe I'm just being a scrooge right now. But that's what is mundane, should Yang pull that card.
    Will it be any different than getting back his powers or Luthor not being in jail?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    He was also alone with Diana for a thousand years and still wouldn't cheat on Lois.
    I hope you don't see this as a personal attack but do you believe that when someone remarries after the death of a partner that they are actually cheating on their dead spouse? Just curious as all because I'm pretty sure that even with all the Mary Sue (or Gary Stu to be gender balanced and I don't want a paper on the subject posted for me to read/ignore) powers that Lois possesses, even she cannot live over 1000 years.
    Last edited by ssupes; 12-16-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Astonishing Member

I find rather funny that every single time there is some exchange of opinions about Lois Lane and WW, someone uses Joe Kelly's single issue about Supes and Diana together for 1000 years as the definitive proof that Supes' real love is Lois and just Lois.

Kelly's story is just full of incredible exaggerations, and most of you are taking it too seriously IMHO. Nothing in that story is really credible. He used 1000 years just to suggest an incredibly long span of time, but I think that you are taking it too literally. If the story focused just a bit more on credible human reactions, nobody would know how a human-like mind who had lived for 1000 years would react. IMHO it would go completely crazy, because the weight of memories would simply be too hard to stand. But we simply don't know, because - thank God - nobody can live that long.

Anyway, I really can't stand that every time there is a simple chat about Lois, the positions must become incredibly dogmatic, as if having Lois Lane as Supes' ideal mate was strictly necessary to prevent the end of civilized world. Come on, it's just fiction. I like Lois Lane as anybody else, I like the love story with Supes, but this trait of the character shouldn't become an obsession (and honestly speaking, some discussion about this particular theme seem to be rather obsessive). I mean, if a good writer found another mate for Supes and was able to make it work, why not?