Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    I don't think it needs to be this literal. The origin works because of its simplicity. The more you add, the more convoluted it becomes. The bottom line is that kids tie a towel around their necks and play Superman because he looks like us. Even if you add this business about genetic modification, he's still not human. If he were, he wouldn't have superpowers.
    Well sure. That's why he's "half human". Doesn't stop the kid from putting the towel around his neck. It's actually not that convoluted, in my opinion. The simplicity of the character is still there. This is all just dressing. Landis' Clark is literally just a nice guy from Kansas that likes to help people. What's not simple about that?

We've already had endless stories about Superboy being half human. I just don't think it adds anything to Superman. He'd be no more relatable, and, at his best, he's already the most human character in the DCU.

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

I agree that regardless of his alien biology, Superman's heart is by far the most human in comics. In many ways, that's the most ironic thing about Superman. Kryptonite may be fatal to him, but his biggest weakness is his heart and how in touch with humanity he really is. I never bought the " Superman isn't relatable" bullcrap.

In fact, it's the most foul smelling BS of a myth in pop culture.

We've already had endless stories about Superboy being half human. I just don't think it adds anything to Superman. He'd be no more relatable, and, at his best, he's already the most human character in the DCU.
    Well it's always been a fixture in the Superman myth that he's "half human". This just makes it a bit more literal. This adds a new and understandable facet to the "son of two worlds" idea. It adds the very real shock of that second world in comparison to the first. It's less "oh so they were just really smart human looking dudes" and more "they were F#cking alien, man. They're whole aspects of biology and culture that I can't even wrap my head around because I'm not completely one of them". It makes the distinction far sharper and ripe for story and cultural and physical exploration. Landis' Clark is already relatable enough. This is just adding new story roads to travel down with the character.

This is also nothing like Superboy. Superboy's story was of the dichotomy of good, evil, and his place in the middle. Superman wasn't his "alien side" and Luthor his "human side". It was good and evil. Aspiration vs cautionary. The Kryptonian race isn't automatically good, and the human bad, thus the Superboy comparison is superficial at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well it's always been a fixture in the Superman myth that he's "half human". This just makes it a bit more literal. This adds a new and understandable facet to the "son of two worlds" idea. It adds the very real shock of that second world in comparison to the first. It's less "oh so they were just really smart human looking dudes" and more "they were F#cking alien, man. They're whole aspects of biology and culture that I can't even wrap my head around because I'm not completely one of them". It makes the distinction far sharper and ripe for story and cultural and physical exploration. Landis' Clark is already relatable enough. This is just adding new story roads to travel down with the character.

This is also nothing like Superboy. Superboy's story was of the dichotomy of good, evil, and his place in the middle. Superman wasn't his "alien side" and Luthor his "human side". It was good and evil. Aspiration vs cautionary. The Kryptonian race isn't automatically good, and the human bad, thus the Superboy comparison is superficial at best.
    You're welcome to like the idea, of course. But it seems like a needless complication to make him "more human" and "more alien" when he's already both human and alien. The only limitation on the exploration of that is the writer's ability.

Personally, I don't need a more alien Krypton. We've gotten almost nothing but that since Donner's Superman movie decades ago. It's a fine angle, but it's been done, and the further we push their culture from our understanding, the less relatable its loss becomes.

You're welcome to like the idea, of course. But it seems like a needless complication to make him "more human" and "more alien" when he's already both human and alien
    And you're welcome to disagree with it. I hope I haven't given the impression that I dismiss or think your views are less than mine, because that couldn't be more wrong. I enjoy the conversation and exploration of ideas is all.

Personally, I don't need a more alien Krypton. We've gotten almost nothing but that since Donner's Superman movie decades ago. It's a fine angle, but it's been done, and the further we push their culture from our understanding, the less relatable its loss becomes.
    I'm iffy on that. I don't think the more alien you make it the less relatable the loss becomes. I think if you activity associate the word "alien" with cold and distant then the less relatable the loss becomes. Superman as a character tells and shows us that we're all aliens (in a figurative and literal sense of the word). So their culture and ideals being so outside our personal comfort and comprehensions doesn't mean they have to become less relatable.

Landis' Clark even says it himself in issue 3, "we're all just tinny creatures, little aliens, holding onto each other out in the middle of nowhere." The just about sums it up. That ability to scale everything down, even the achievements of one of the most advanced races in the galaxy. You scale it down to the idea that none of us really know what we're doing in the vastness of it all. Landis Clark didn't have to travel the world or the universe to get that. He just had to grow up an American alien to "get it". It works on a micro and macro level, and somehow humanizes a Krypton we haven't even seen yet.

So Max Landis shared some pretty interesting info on what DC books he'd like to do after AA.

"dream jobs at DC
    Superman: Agent Of Batman
    Killer Moth
    Joker/Harley - The Truth Is
    Lois Lane/Victor Freeze - Light Through Glass
    Jimmy Olsen"

Any one who knows me on here knows I'm a big Jimmy fan, so it was particularly awesome from me when he outlined his story via Twitter

https://twitter.com/Uptomyknees/stat...24661188972544

https://twitter.com/Uptomyknees/stat...24756349366272

https://twitter.com/Uptomyknees/stat...25247699456000

https://twitter.com/Uptomyknees/stat...25310572077056

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Well, we know the title of the last issue too now: Valkyrie.

So as a whole, it goes Dove->Hawk->Parrot->Owl->Eagle->Angel->Valkyrie
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 03-24-2016 at 03:16 PM.
    Buh-bye

I recently learned that it's supposed to be things that fly.

So Dove for the pure and fragile 11 or 12 year old Clark's first flight. Hawk for the harsh decisiveness of 17 year old Clark. Parrot for Clark's masquerading adventure at 21. Owl for Clark's questioning and listening at 24(?) Eagle for the more traditional idea of a superhero.

Angel makes me think someone's gonna die or almost die. This is Landis' favorite issue and the one that makes him cry. Please god, don't let it be Pete (might be Kenny?) I'm REALLY into Pete Ross as Clark's best friend now.

Valkyrie brings up ideas of warriors and death. This is the big Lobo fight.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I think it's Angel because by now he's got the costume and is now known as the world's first superhero - it's reflecting the public perception of him that warps a story that's otherwise just about some old friends getting together, because everyone thinks one of them is a god.
    Buh-bye

Right, I do remember that conversation between Pete and Clark you posted a while back. The hype is going to be a BIG part of that issue (there's even a "believe the hype" poster in it). And the embers for the idea where in issue 5. I just wonder why an issue like that makes Landis "cry every time" though.

I might be wrong but I think it's in black and white. I the worded pics that I've seen are in black and white.

Sorry for ressurecting this old thread, but i read Superman: American Alien and didn't want to open a new thread to just comment for 5 lines or something.

Was Superman: American Alien mind blowing ? No... Because this was another origin story. The biggest deffirence was, it was made out of short stories. Some of them were ok and some of them were good, but there were so many other origin stories and it looks like there will be many other origins stories for Superman in the future... Because comic book writers are only passionet about writing origin stories about Superman. It would be alot better, if the writers focused on something other than Superman's origin with a passion.

Actually, another origin and i will puke at this point...

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by out of control View Post
    Sorry for ressurecting this old thread, but i read Superman: American Alien and didn't want to open a new thread to just comment for 5 lines or something.

Was Superman: American Alien mind blowing ? No... Because this was another origin story. The biggest deffirence was, it was made out of short stories. Some of them were ok and some of them were good, but there were so many other origin stories and it looks like there will be many other origins stories for Superman in the future... Because comic book writers are only passionet about writing origin stories about Superman. It would be alot better, if the writers focused on something other than Superman's origin with a passion.

While i agree this is just an origin story.What makes this work is people can actually get clark as person.He's not some naive hum drum savior that acts like metropolis's dad.There is an actual scene where clark eats ramen somewhere high.It's not even tied down to superman's past and baggage.Suoerman never had an origin like this one.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by out of control View Post

AA is a solid story but ultimately tarnished by the fact that Max Landis is a disgusting creep. Anything positive that could have been taken or adapted from the story is thus moot.

Seriously feels like the excellent My Adventures With Superman animated series took several cues from American Alien.