Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Lol we keep going around on this.
    Eh, for us its just a matter of labels.

I define them as "Metropolis Clark" (though I often shorthand that to just Clark, and thats my bad) "Smallville Clark" and "Superman."

Smallville Clark is the full person, no secrets, not hiding a part of who he is. Not playing up certain aspects of his personality to fit the expectations of the role he happens to be in. I think most people call this aspect of the character Kal. But Im difficult, so its Clark. He's the guy who listens to alien music while repairing a tractor (and maybe also building a time machine on the side, and not even really seeing much of a difference in the tasks).

Metropolis Clark is an act; the mild mannered reporter who acts shy and cowers in front of muggers. Yeah, there are parts of the real person in there, but this is the guy who has to hide who he is from his co-workers, and thus its largely a facade built on the foundation of his personality. He's the guy who trips over his own feet, and through the confusion that causes, saves someone from hurting themselves on the other side of the building.

And Superman is the best aspects of who he is with the volume cranked up to eleven, his shortcomings and flaws ignored as much as possible, and fully embracing the fantastical elements of who he is. He's the guy who never shows a break in his confidence and always seems to have the answers and a plan of action, regardless of how worried or shaken he might really be.

The older I get, the more I see a divide between aspects of who Superman is. I fear Im slowly becoming kurosawa (for those who remember him from the boards). If I ever start talking about Superman having a weird case of schizophrenia, stop me for my own good.
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-17-2015 at 07:28 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I've been enjoying American Alien quite a lot. It's a shame that no one is really talking about it. They rather bash Yang or complain about how he's too dark which is BS. I haven't gotten around to #2 yet, but from what I'm reading in this thread, it surpasses the first issue. Honestly, I never heard of Max Landis until this book came out. He's extremely talented, hopefully DC allows him to do more work. With things like American Alien, Legend of Wonder Woman and Earth One. I want dc to start doing more out of continuity books. And that is not a knock on the New 52, but elseworld stories has always been one of the best things about DC.

According to a tweet from Max Landis. Green Arrow, Deathstroke, Cheetah & that guy who likes to carve roman numerals on his body will be appearing in issue #3?
    Last edited by Starchild; 12-17-2015 at 11:31 PM.

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Eh, for us its just a matter of labels.

I define them as "Metropolis Clark" (though I often shorthand that to just Clark, and thats my bad) "Smallville Clark" and "Superman."

Smallville Clark is the full person, no secrets, not hiding a part of who he is. Not playing up certain aspects of his personality to fit the expectations of the role he happens to be in. I think most people call this aspect of the character Kal. But Im difficult, so its Clark. He's the guy who listens to alien music while repairing a tractor (and maybe also building a time machine on the side, and not even really seeing much of a difference in the tasks).

Metropolis Clark is an act; the mild mannered reporter who acts shy and cowers in front of muggers. Yeah, there are parts of the real person in there, but this is the guy who has to hide who he is from his co-workers, and thus its largely a facade built on the foundation of his personality. He's the guy who trips over his own feet, and through the confusion that causes, saves someone from hurting themselves on the other side of the building.

And Superman is the best aspects of who he is with the volume cranked up to eleven, his shortcomings and flaws ignored as much as possible, and fully embracing the fantastical elements of who he is. He's the guy who never shows a break in his confidence and always seems to have the answers and a plan of action, regardless of how worried or shaken he might really be.

The older I get, the more I see a divide between aspects of who Superman is. I fear Im slowly becoming kurosawa (for those who remember him from the boards). If I ever start talking about Superman having a weird case of schizophrenia, stop me for my own good.
    This is the exact way I've always broke it down as well and quite frankly, is the reason why Superman is still the greatest character of all time. These 3 aspects is as interesting as it gets so it drives me insane as to why people find Supes boring. These 3 use of identities make Superman the most intriguing, to me, out of them all....but I guess that's why I'm a Superman fan!

For real, though. Superman is the holy grail man. Writers and creators should be chomping at the damn bit to get their hands on Superman and bring the greatest of them all back to being great. Seriously, he should be a writers dream job for that reason. It looks like Landis is up for the challenge of not being afraid of anything and give us a Clark Kent/ Superman story that has no limits and takes as many risks as possible to the point of appreciating the balls needed to pull this off. It's what Supes needs IMO and so far, AA is living up to what all writers should do with Supes without editorial suicide with the character. Supes is the dream job. Landis is acting like he is so far.

so who are the rest of the artists?

this will make a nice trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    so who are the rest of the artists?

this will make a nice trade.
    I hate to jump the gun, but the vibes I'm getting from this series, I can't wait until this is all collected. I'm gushing 2 issues in and I hope to be doing the same in this thread when it ends. If the quality is as good as issues 1 and 2 moving forward, I'll buy any versions of trade with this book, hell, even a delux version if they decide to do that. I'm probably overreacting..we still need this to run its course, but I haven't been this excited for a Superman book in a long time.

As for the artists, here is who Landis has lined up:

Nick Dragotta, Joelle Jones, Jae Lee, Frances Manapul, Tommy Lee Edwards, Jonathan Case and Jock.

Link:
    http://www.newsarama.com/25132-max-l...can-alien.html
    Last edited by Tra-EL; 12-18-2015 at 10:31 AM.

I'm liking it so far ... it's still a bit early to say how great the final product will be but so far I'm liking what I'm seeing ... I especially like how it's going a bit further (in the mature themes sense) than most Superman stories have previously.

Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    I'm liking it so far ... it's still a bit early to say how great the final product will be but so far I'm liking what I'm seeing ... I especially like how it's going a bit further (in the mature themes sense) than most Superman stories have previously.
    I dont even know if I would call these mature themes....its more like the book is just being mature about how they present the themes they've picked.

I suppose that's just splitting hairs though.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Clark's attitude just got as messier just like the art inexpicably did. Yuck.

Not that he's still good at heart or not that those two bit killers didn't deserve payback. And the cover and rooftop ending was very evocative.

By the way, what is going on in this panel??
    GURGLE.jpg
    And why was the story titled "HAWK"?

Can somebody please provide online proof from authorized DC source whether this is or is not canon? (Pleasebeisnot. Pleasebeisnot. Pleasebeisnot.) The verification will determine how much I liked this or not.

Superman: American Alien #2
    Review.
    2015-12-16-supermanamericanalien.jpg
    Last edited by Bookem Danno; 12-18-2015 at 08:19 PM. Reason: add pic

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

It's really interesting, Superman is like the Sandman, he looks different depending on who's looking at him. The crime was so horrible, Smallville with Gotham City massacres. But now and days, every small town is capable of this kind of nightmare. I think Landis is totally making his All Star Superman comic but it's focused on Clark Kent rather than Superman, and it's a very human Clark Kent. I was thinking this is not how I see Clark, but he's still very sympathetic. You like him and feel for him. It reminded me of Action comics where Superman stops domestic violence, but now and days, that can mean a home invasion/execution. Superman must be coming in costume if that last page signals things to come. I wonder what costume. The parents have been great this series and rotating artists is genius. It was also a great scene with him and Lana, really sold the romance. The Langs ain't going to like this kind of talk from the neighbors.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Chill. It's very clearly not canon at all.
    Buh-bye

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I am in love with this book...I was not reading for a while when all-star came out.....this is MY all-star!

I loved the darkness of issue #2. I thought Robert Kirkman was writing it; it totally suprised the heck out of me.

I loved Smallville; but if the TV show was adopted after this comic it would of been the #1 show on TV

The cover blew me away; the story sucked my breath away, and the overall issue was fantastic....I cannot wait for the next one. This is DC's "Vision Comic"....strange, yet familiar and satisfying

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    Clark's attitude just got as messier just like the art inexpicably did. Yuck.

Not that he's still good at heart or not that those two bit killers didn't deserve payback. And the cover and rooftop ending was very evocative.

By the way, what is going on in this panel??
    GURGLE.jpg
    And why was the story titled "HAWK"?

Can somebody please provide online proof from authorized DC source whether this is or is not canon? (Pleasebeisnot. Pleasebeisnot. Pleasebeisnot.) The verification will determine how much I liked this or not.

Superman: American Alien #2
    Review.
    2015-12-16-supermanamericanalien.jpg
    Its not canon. I dont have a link or anything, but this was always meant to be an Elseworlds.

Of course, if it sells really well DC might try to force it into the main DCU, like they did with Waid's Birthright, but this is not supposed to be canon.

As for payback, if you mean what happened with that guy's arms, its clear that Clark didn't do it on purpose. He was scared, wounded, angry, and his heat vision just activated involuntarily. We saw in issue one that he doesnt have control of his heat vision yet (there was mention of holes burned in the ceiling above his bed or something) and it would appear that he still hasnt quite mastered it yet. Which fits; in many versions the heat vision is one of the powers Clark struggles the most with. Likely because its not just an extension of "natural" physical abilities like his strength or eyesight.

~ Black Panther.

Yeah, over the years, they've played with Clark's heat vision as being emotionally connected. He can control it, but heat vision is connected to the extension of his emotions rather than natural ability.

BANNED

It's clearly not canon. Clark was flying as a boy in issue #1, when he didn't know he could fly in Morrison's Action Comics until Brainiac showed up.

Honestly I ignore the Morrison Action run. Not his best work by a mile, just a silly rush through of old stories. Supermans new 52 launch is best forgotten as fun as the first couple issues of Action were, it fell apart rather quickly.

This reads much better for the tone of new 52 Superman's origin.