Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But Teen Titans is not just a Tim book, some of the other Titans have probably also some fans.

To me it looks like DC is trying to push Jason at the moment, he get guest appearances outside of the Batman and Superman books and RH/A will get for the first time variant covers in January and February (afaik even RHatO didn't got variants).
    I don't doubt there are fans of the characters in Teen Titans. But right now, it's probably more just the brand name; the Superboy fans who hung around for him even after everything else probably left when he got kicked out the book. Bart fans probably aren't forgiving it that much either considering the mess of Bar Torr. Wondergirl fans are probably still okay, though again, they don't really have any reason to be excited.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    . . . (afaik even RHatO didn't got variants).
    I know they had at least one: issue #32.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I don't doubt there are fans of the characters in Teen Titans. But right now, it's probably more just the brand name; the Superboy fans who hung around for him even after everything else probably left when he got kicked out the book. Bart fans probably aren't forgiving it that much either considering the mess of Bar Torr. Wondergirl fans are probably still okay, though again, they don't really have any reason to be excited.
    Raven and Beastboy have probably also some fans, and it's not like that Tim got a much better treatmet in this book than the other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I know they had at least one: issue #32.

But this seems to be the only one, other series get on every second month and RH/A will noe get at least the nest two (color book and Neil Adams).
    Last edited by Aahz; 12-18-2015 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    While that is true, I was more thinking in organization. Like if DC is still actually sticking with 52 books in print a month, you slice a bit off for your main books, like JL, TT, WW. Then you have your Superman books, the GL corner also wants a slice and then comes the Bat-corner and takes a big slice leaving only a handfull of book that dont really fit anywhere, if the Bat-corner grows, it's these experimental book 'slots' its going to be cut from. SO in essence you might be trading Midnighter, Prez or Martian Manhunter for a Tim or Blueberry book.
    DC hasn't sticked to 52 books for close to two years I think.

Spectacular Member

Right now with Eternal going on in would be tough to squeeze another book in. I don't read all the 'Bat characters solo titles as it is. I think it would be really cool if they were somehow able to bring in Rucka again. Maybe he could do a BOP reboot, like what was hinted at during the Convergence mini. We already know he writes Batwoman better than anybody else, plus they could bring in Montoya as well. The other suggestion would be to maybe open up Detective for more of a team-up book post Eternal and post GordonBats. Snyder and Capullo have essentially been writing a Batman solo book for months now. Detective could showcase a few of the minor characters. A third suggestion would be a BatFamily book, which was mentioned, but have a rotating cast of authors, artists and characters. Run 1 could focus on Bluebird, Run 2 on Spoiler, Run 3 on Cass, Run 4 on Batwoman...etc etc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtzberg View Post
    I think being deliberately vague with the timeline is best, the more you flashback or rewrite classic stories, the more detail you give, the more you realize it doesn't work. I mean sure that kind of stuff would be nice, but I think it would just invite massive retcons and create a mess. Just read the old stuff again if you really want those stories, I think they should focus on moving forward more and creating new good stuff than devoting a monthly to redoing the past.
    I strongly agree about the timeline. Keep it vague or you'll paint yourself into corners.

Extraordinary Member

I agree at least in so far as you should avoid specific time frame alike the plague; the math wasn't pretty in that #0 issue month for the Bat-books at all. And the general idea that you shouldn't just retell the same stories is one I can relate to.

But I feel that, with 4 separate main sidekicks in the past, a book given a flexible time line in the past has great potential. I'd love to see someone get a short 4 issue arc with Jason in his Robin suit, or a Tim and recovering Babs story, or Dick approaching his graduation into Nightwing story.

Some may complain that actually developing such stories would make his time as Batman seem crowded, but I'd argue that Batman is the epitome of the DC hero who gets nothing out of the "younger hero" theme they were going for. The character's had a paternalistic aspect since the 40's, and a seasoned Batman is generally preferred for the vast majority of stories. Heck, even the young Batman stories emphasize the idea he's a rookie so they can show him maturing into the veteran we all love. People see Batman as the older role model, and arguably find him more frustrating when he's played younger.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

Some may complain that actually developing such stories would make his time as Batman seem crowded, but I'd argue that Batman is the epitome of the DC hero who gets nothing out of the "younger hero" theme they were going for. The character's had a paternalistic aspect since the 40's, and a seasoned Batman is generally preferred for the vast majority of stories. Heck, even the young Batman stories emphasize the idea he's a rookie so they can show him maturing into the veteran we all love. People see Batman as the older role model, and arguably find him more frustrating when he's played younger.
    Give me a young/imperfect Batman to read about. Year One, Earth One and Zero Year. I don't like cold, perfect, humorless Bruce as he often is portrayed that way with Robins around him.

BANNED

I don't know about "should," but if they'll sell then I bet you'll see them.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Source for that "fact"?

Here's what was on the Top 300 Comic Books list for November 2015 based on info from Diamond Distributors:
    1 - Dark Knight III Master Race 1 - 440,234 copies
    13 - Batman 46 - 106,989 copies
    17 - Batman Europa 1 - 80,721 copies
    31 - Harley Quinn 22 - 58,344 copies
    43 - Detective Comics 46 - 47,256 copies
    45 - Batman and Robin Eternal 5 - 46,545 copies
    48 - Batman and Robin Eternal 6 - 45,081 copies
    51 - Batman and Robin Eternal 7 - 43,825 copies
    53 - Batman and Robin Eternal 8 - 42,763 copies
    64 - Batman Superman 26 - 38,056 copies
    68 - Robin Son of Batman 6 - 35,633 copies
    75 - Harley Quinn & Power Girl 5 - 34,127 copies
    86 - Grayson 14 - 31,831 copies
    94 - Batman Beyond 6 - 27,778 copies
    114 - Catwoman 46 - 21,661 copies
    121 - Red Hood Arsenal 6 - 19,857 copies
    124 - We Are Robin 6 - 19,210 copies
    125 - Batman Arkham Knight Genesis 4 - 18,843 copies
    130 - Batman Arkham Knight Robin Special 1 - 17,481 copies
    132 - Batman Arkham Knight 10 - 17,091 copies
    151 - Batman 66 29 - 13,860 copies
    161 - Midnighter 6 - 12,186 copies
    171 - Bat Mite 6 - 10,961 copies
    196 - Batman Endgame Directors Cut 1 - 8,884 copies
    http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...5/2015-11.html

NOTE: Batgirl, Gotham Academy, and Black Canary did not have issues released during November.

And don't forget, these numbers are primarily based on what comic book shops ordered from Diamond in the U.S., so they don't include digital sales, sales outside the U.S., etc.
    Note that i'm not talking about what books will be cancelled next month, i mean what books will survive the near future.
    "Batman the Master Race" and "Batman Europa" are mini-series, they won't stay for long, same for Batman and Robin Eternal which we know to be a weekly set to end by issue 26, so neither of these really count.
    Batman/Superman its as much of a bat-book as it is a superman book, i kinda don't count that one as well.
    So we are left with Batman's main title, derective comics, Robin son of Batman and Harley quin (nice catch! i forgot about this one) with good chances of staying "alive" for a considerable time, like i said on my other post...all of the others will have a very hard time surviving another year.

Incredible Member

Huh, those Eternal numbers are a lot lower than I thought they'd be. They aren't horrible or anything, but certainly not what what I expected. Wonder what they'll be like in another 10 issues?
    In another 10 issues the series will be over, this weekly is set to last until about issue 26...and its already on issue 12

Incredible Member

Some of those under-performing books you refer to won't get cancelled, regardless of numbers, they'll just get relaunched with new creative teams and new directions. Red Hood isn't losing a book, Catwoman isn't losing a book. Dick and Babs aren't losing their books (nor should they, their numbers are solid, if not spectacular and really not too different from Damian's solo). Teen Titans and Tim isn't going anywhere, they need a Robin on that book.
    We Are Robin seems to have the confidence of DC despite bad numbers, and they do need a place to help establish Duke. Gotham Academy despite poor sales seems to have vocal support and buzz, so it may well survive too. I don't think that there will be a swath of cancellations across the Bat books.
    Also, no one knows how things like digital or trade sales influence DC's thinking.
    I just don't see a great cull coming, certainly there could be space for a book or two, since Gotham by Midnight is going to go and maybe I'm wrong on We Are and Academy, maybe there isn't the will to keep them around, but the vast majority of the Bat books will continue on.
    Hum...somehow someway, i doubt that...sales are what determines everything, and even tho some higher ups in editorial may or may not be biased over some characters, they won't keep titles around that don't sell...and i don't see many of the current line up of bat-books surviving another year...sure, they can be relaunched, but that's more of a Marvel thing, DC normally just cancells it, and tries another thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bat_girl_cc View Post
    Note that i'm not talking about what books will be cancelled next month, i mean what books will survive the near future.
    "Batman the Master Race" and "Batman Europa" are mini-series, they won't stay for long, same for Batman and Robin Eternal which we know to be a weekly set to end by issue 26, so neither of these really count.
    Batman/Superman its as much of a bat-book as it is a superman book, i kinda don't count that one as well.
    So we are left with Batman's main title, derective comics, Robin son of Batman and Harley quin (nice catch! i forgot about this one) with good chances of staying "alive" for a considerable time, like i said on my other post...all of the others will have a very hard time surviving another year.
    Grayson, R:SOB, and Batgirls will survive till next year since 30K is right around where they have always sold and it competes with other titles with big names that hover around the same level in Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and GL. Any additional Bat title will have to be either true Team Book featuring the main players outside of Batman in Grayson, Red Hood, Batgirl, Cass, Robin, Red Robin, Spoiler etc. in some form or fashion or a Second Batman book.

Extraordinary Member

Hum...somehow someway, i doubt that...sales are what determines everything, and even tho some higher ups in editorial may or may not be biased over some characters, they won't keep titles around that don't sell...and i don't see many of the current line up of bat-books surviving another year...sure, they can be relaunched, but that's more of a Marvel thing, DC normally just cancells it, and tries another thing.
    There are some exceptions, and the most prominent Batbook example would be Batwing.

In another 10 issues the series will be over, this weekly is set to last until about issue 26...and its already on issue 12
    Yes, I know how many issues it runs, that has no bearing on my interest in what the numbers would look like.