Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mighty Thor #2 Spoilers

Mighty Thor #2 - The War of the Elves
    Jason Aaron / Russell Dauterman / Matthew Wilson

The return of Loki!
    But for Thor, will he be friend or foe?

Synopsis:
    spoilers:

Issue one finished Loki being introduced to the Dark Council by Malekith, while Bor and his Thunder Guard try to arrest Thor at Bifrost.

We open with a narration of Jane considering her great relationship with her father juxtaposed against a scene where Loki and Laufey are discussing their relationship. Laufey is asking Loki to walk Bloodcicle Canyon in the icy lands of Jotunheim. If Loki does this Laufey will support Loki’s application to the Dark Council. The Canyon turns out to be populated by club wielding Frost Giants.

Cut to Asgardia and the ensuing battle on Bifrost, where Bor and his Thunder Guard achieve the upper hand and Heimdall intervenes by sending Thor to the battle he considers is hers to fight. He then surrenders to Bor.

In Alfheim Roxxon tanks and Dark Elf troops are seen mopping up resistance on their march to the capital of Ljosalfgurad. Watching on is Malekith with three attending War Witches, he is asking them if there is any word on Laufey’s arrival when Amora the Enchantress turns up asking when she will get what she wants. As often is her want, she has designs on the Odinson, but wonders if Malekith might allow her to take the pretender’s head. But Malkith has other plans for Thor.

Back in Jotunheim Loki is celebrating his verbal victory over Laufey’s challenge (to Laufey’s disapproval), but Laufey is convinced by Loki’s plea to show him what he can do to a Thor.

Laufey arrives on the battlefield and is greeted by Malekith and Laufey reveals he intends for neither Loki nor Thor to leave Alfheim alive.

In the besieged Ljosalfgurad Thor is attempting to rally the defences when Loki arrives stating he only wants to talk.
    end of spoilers

Clearly a build-up issue Aaron takes some time to bring Loki’s relationship with his father into focus and allow us to compare and contrast with Thor and Odinson. The latter has always been a thematic comparison but Aaron wisely shifts the focus by making it clear Loki has changed since we last saw them in a scene together.

Aaron more fully explores Laufey and brings in Amora. Everyone is plotting with their own agendas and although we only get a glimpse of those here, the situation feels rife for conflict and drama.

As we are becoming used to, Dauterman does a sterling job here. His character designs and his sense of location shine through, with great work from Wilson helping the latter. Dauterman’s use of maps and establishment shots give us a good sense of the tactical situation and the Bifrost battle is both dynamic and efficient.

Discussion to follow.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 12-16-2015 at 08:32 AM.

BANNED

I have zero faith in Aaron's Loki, I love Ewing's Loki much better.

Questions raised here:

What is Loki planning? It seems very unlikely he would be seeking to kill Thor.

Is the dialogue at Bifrost a hint from Aaron that Odinson is hiding as a Thunder Guard?

How many key Asgardians will end up in cells!

We finally a clear shot of Thor's helm copying Thor's facial features as Dauterman has suggested it does. Does it work on the page?

We get a thought bubble for Jane for the first time this run. Is this going to be a feature as in the last volume? What do we think of that as a device?

I have been thinking about the Queen of Cinders referred to in the last issue, is this a reference to Laussa, Freyja's Daughter from Gillen's Angela run?
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 12-16-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    We don't have much to go on yet with the character under Aaron. I thought we got a more subtle and less duplicitous Loki in the scene with Laufey.

But personally I am pleased to see him out of Ewing's hands. The overall arc was OK in Agent of Asgard but I felt the execution of many of the issues was lacking. I didn't really care for the characterisation. I felt he was set-up as a potentially fascinating aspect of Loki but he never felt as well rounded as under Gillen. Over-all I didn't ever root for Ewing’s Loki.

I am biased however, I think Kid Loki is the best Marvel character so far this decade.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 12-16-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    We don't have much to go on yet with the character under Aaron. I thought we got a more subtle and less duplicitous Loki in the scene with Laufey.

But personally I am pleased to see him out of Ewing's hands. The overall arc was OK in Agent of Asgard but I felt the execution of many of the issues was lacking. I didn't really care for the characterisation. I felt he was set-up as a potentially fascinating aspect of Loki but he never felt as well rounded as under Gillen. Over-all I didn't ever root for Ewing’s Loki.

I am biased however, I think Kid Loki is the best Marvel character so far this decade.
    I want Kid Loki back.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    I want Kid Loki back.
    Where can I read more Kid Loki? He was hysterical in YA.

This was probably my favorite issue from Aaron so far, I'm really enjoying the setup for the war of the realms. Happy to see Enchantress being used and I was pleasantly surprised by his Loki.

Dauterman continues to impress with his work, although I am not convinced by Loki's facial hair. He would look perfect without it...

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    Based on what? its been one issue. And in this issue, Aaron demonstrated a good knowledge of his history and even kinda broke the fourth wall to praise Gillen and Ewing.

I really liked Aaron's Loki. He was alternating between hilarious snark and complete badassery, but some hints of the heart Gillen and Ewing had given him remained, he just had to keep it a bit low key to enable his plan of infiltrating the Dark Council. (and it is clear now for sure that's what he's up to even if we don't know the specific reasons yet)

Also loved Heimdall this issue. That was great.

Niffleheim

Maliketh the Accursed is my favorite thing in this story. I'm enjoying the carnage of "War of Realms" too much. I wanna join that Dark Council lol!
    Last edited by Tofali; 12-16-2015 at 12:35 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Journey into Mystery!

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    He is spun out of Fraction's Thor run (#617) and Gillen tells his story in his Journey into Mystery run. I can't praise it highly enough. But yes YA was great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I really liked Aaron's Loki. He was alternating between hilarious snark and complete badassery, but some hints of the heart Gillen and Ewing had given him remained, he just had to keep it a bit low key to enable his plan of infiltrating the Dark Council. (and it is clear now for sure that's what he's up to even if we don't know the specific reasons yet)

Also loved Heimdall this issue. That was great.
    Yes I thought what was here was very promising. I am not sure Aaron will have the wordplay or maybe the heart that we have seen with more recent Loki portrayals but he certainly has the manipulation and the covert agenda that we would expect. We will need more time with him to know if Aaron gets the voice fully.

I felt Heimdall was pretty much lifted from the movies, but that isn't a bad reference to play with. He also gives us the first character hint that Bor and Odin may not be singing from the same hymn sheet. It's a thin thread at the moment, but I will cling to it until it snaps.

An excellent read. I especially liked the way Laufey and Loki's relationship was described.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Dauterman continues to impress with his work, although I am not convinced by Loki's facial hair. He would look perfect without it...
    If he didn't have stubble how would we know he was bad! I do wonder if the stubble is an affectation, and it may play to the aspect we have here: young, rebellious, indignant and angry.

Fantastic Member

Loki literally talked the Frost Giants to death. Lmao. It does make his statement that he just wants to talk with Thor a lot more menacing, but I don't think he'll actually try to hurt her. In fact, though there may be a double-cross for him to continue playing his part for the dark council, it seems easier just to tell her that's what he's doing (he could have another angle, but honestly, if he were still after Asgard, all he'd really have to do right now would be to sit back and wait, especially if Malekith and co are busy causing trouble and keeping Thor busy elsewhere).

Odin and Cul are seriously undermining Asgard's security by removing Heimdall. We know Freya is already in prison and the warriors three are currently gone looking for the Odinson (also, without the Bifrost, how is Jane or anyone else going to get back to Asgard, anyways?). From the first issue, Sif supports Freya, and will likely be imprisoned for her loyalties before too long or end up being a leader in the upcoming rebellion. I agree that something is seriously fishy with Cul. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually after Asgard (and perhaps secretly working with/manipulating Malekith)? Like, I know Odin can be a real ass, but you'd typically expect him to be smart enough not to undermine his own power and country's security all in one.

Based on Thor's performance against the guards(can I call them hammerers? I'm gonna call them hammerers), it wouldn't seem like she had a chance against Odin. But if something's wrong with him, he might not be at full strength.

I don't think we're going to see the Odinson for a while, still. Even if I would like to see him. For one, his presence would present a possible solution to the conflict in Asgard as a viable heir to the throne--he's Odin's son, and although Freya isn't his biological mother, she would probably lend him her support. Granted, I've been thinking for a while now that this is how things might eventually shake out, since it lets him have a role in the story beyond being Thor. (Loki could be the royal Jester. Just assign him the job without telling him and he'll perform it perfectly). Even if that's wildly off-base, his support would definitely make it easier to soothe the tensions that Jane's existence as Thor has helped to kindle. Additionally, from a story standpoint, it's important for Jane to figure out who she is (as Thor) for herself. Lastly, Jason Aaron said he wouldn't show up for a while, sooo.....