All-New Member

Default what should i read after batman year one ?

hi i finished year one and i am can get some trades for xmas so was wanting the ones that come after year one, is this order correct.
    The man who laughs
    The long halloween
    Dark victory
    am i missing any in between those?
    Thank Alfie

Theres a bunch of stories that take place around Year One but its a bit murky as different stories have fallen in and out of the canon over the years to the point where theres no real seamless flow to the narrative.

That said, the order youve listed is fine.

See this list of Modern Batman and New 52 for a decent chronology. Though please dont feel you have to read everything, nor in order;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...#Modern_Batman

Id personally recommend reading the two Wagner books; MonsterMen and Mad Monk. Then Man Who Laughs, then Long Halloween and Dark Victory.
    That gives a nice rounded telling of the "Year One era" imo.
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 12-16-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

This thread has some great recs.

I was recently really struck by Lee Weeks and Canwell's The Gauntlet.

And, of course, depending on what about Year One enthused you most, you may want to continue on with other Frank Miller Batman comics. They're going to change tone every time, but they retain a central core of, well, one guy's vision of Batman.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

This is what I recommend (in that order):

Year One/Shaman/The Man Who Falls (Man Who Falls reprinted in Batman Begins:The Movie & Other Tales of the Dark Knight TPB)
    Monster Men
    Mad Monk
    The Man Who Laughs (here, b/c Mad Monk's ending refers to the MWL's beginning)
    Prey
    Four of a Kind
    Gothic/Venom/Going Sane/Blades....some uncertain order
    Long Halloween
    DarkVictory, etc
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

All-New Member

Thanks for the help but now i am really confused lol
    the problem is it looks like monster men and mad monk are out of print also i have never here'd half of the other comics.

Quote Originally Posted by AlJoRuB View Post
    the problem is it looks like monster men and mad monk are out of print also i have never here'd half of the other comics.
    Check your library to see if they carry Graphic Novels.

I don't remember the story being set during Year One but I feel that it stays in the same vein as Year One is a story called Blind Justice. In my mind, it parallels the beginning story of Batman in Year One and inexperienced Bruce Wayne in Blind Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by AlJoRuB View Post
    the problem is it looks like monster men and mad monk are out of print also i have never heard half of the other comics.
    All the ones I listed are very highly regarded among Batman diehards. Out of print doesn't matter, they're cheap enough on Amazon or ebay and can still be found in some stores.
    This is what I recommend (in that order):

Year One/Shaman/The Man Who Falls (Man Who Falls reprinted in Batman Begins:The Movie & Other Tales of the Dark Knight TPB)
    Monster Men
    Mad Monk
    The Man Who Laughs (here, b/c Mad Monk's ending refers to the MWL's beginning)
    Prey
    Four of a Kind
    Gothic/Venom/Going Sane/Blades....some uncertain order
    Long Halloween
    DarkVictory, etc
    Batman Prey....a must read that fits well with Monster Men & Mad Monk has its own trade paperback (tpb).
    Gothic and Venom and Going Sane and Four of a Kind have tpbs under those names.
    The great story "Blades" is in Tales Of The Batman: Tim Sale.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Didn`t Batman:Shaman get a new collected edition recently?

''I shall become a bat.'' masahikotahara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    Didn`t Batman:Shaman get a new collected edition recently?
    The new collected edition will be available in January (2016).

EDIT: The release of the new edition of ''Batman: Shaman'' has been delayed.
    Last edited by masahikotahara; 03-20-2016 at 04:35 PM.
    Visit my website: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com for a timeline of Batman comics from Batman: Year One to Flashpoint,
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

CANON! CHRONOLOGY! READING ORDER!

...AND MORE...

All-New Member

Hi hope its one to bump up a old thread but was just wondering wouldn't it be best to just read Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight i.e. shaman, Gothic, prey, venom together as they are the same series or split them up in the order JBatmanFan05 said ?

And to make things even more confusing, many (many) years ago there was a Year Two story.

It originally printed in Detective Comics #575-578.
    More recently it was collected as BATMAN: YEAR TWO: FEAR THE REAPER
    http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...ear-the-reaper

And there was a Year Three story:

It originally ran in Batman #436-439 and retold how Dick Grayson became Robin, but also brings in the kid who would become Batman's third Robin: Tim Drake.

''I shall become a bat.'' masahikotahara's Avatar

Hi hope its one to bump up a old thread but was just wondering wouldn't it be best to just read Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight i.e. shaman, Gothic, prey, venom together as they are the same series or split them up in the order JBatmanFan05 said ?
    If you're not bothered by (minor) inconsistencies between stories that take place early in Batman's career, you can read them pretty much at random, I think. If you have the trades, you can read them in order:

Batman: Shaman -> LDK #1-5;
    Batman: Gothic -> LDK #6-10;
    Batman: Prey -> LDK #11-15;
    Batman: Venom -> LDK #16-20.

However, if you (like me) like the continuity thing - how one story references/explains/clarifies certain events from a previous story, you should stick to the list that JBatmanFan05 posted.
    Visit my website: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com for a timeline of Batman comics from Batman: Year One to Flashpoint,
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

CANON! CHRONOLOGY! READING ORDER!

...AND MORE...

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Out of print doesn't matter, they're cheap enough on Amazon or ebay and can still be found in some stores.
    They're like $30 for the Out of Stock ones. In my book, that's well on the expensive side for 5 issues. I'm kind of stingy though.

Quote Originally Posted by jurassicbond View Post
    They're like $30 for the Out of Stock ones. In my book, that's well on the expensive side for 5 issues. I'm kind of stingy though.
    For liked enough OOP Batman tpbs, there's gonna be some markup. But that markup isn't so bad yet in my book. $40 is def is more understandably expensive IMHO.

I was hoping DC might rerelease Monster Men and Mad Monk together in one tpb like they did with Batgirl & Robin Year One, but...just hasn't quite happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    . . . I was hoping DC might rerelease Monster Men and Mad Monk together in one tpb like they did with Batgirl & Robin Year One, but...just hasn't quite happened yet.
    Maybe if enough of us ask DC for this, . . .