Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    Yep, there was a time recently when Marvel couldn't get passed Aquaman into the top 10.
    Honestly, if DC relaunched books like Batman, Superman, and Justice League every year and had annual massive company wide crossovers once or twice a year, they'd more than likely bypass Marvel's unit share. I'm glad they don't because I hate trying to keep up with constant relaunches.
    You and me both. I hate the constant events and relaunches Marvel does, which is why I've quit buying their books. Sure DC could do exactly what Marvel does to get more unit share like they do but I honestly don't think that it's a very good long term strategy to take and perhaps the suits at DC feel the same. All it really does is give Marvel's books an unsustainable boost for a few months after which the sales taper off again. It's merely a band aid and it does absolutely nothing to solve buyer attrition in any sort of meaningful way. What comic companies need to do is find out the cause behind that problem and do something about that but it seems to me the suits at Marvel are only interested in short term gains because it's easier then trying to find out what's causing the problem in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes
    People only seem to be looking at the numbers themselves without looking at the cause. How often does Marvel allow its monthly titles to get to issue 20 without a relaunch?
    I would guess that it does happen very often anymore. The last one I was reading was the recent all female X-men which got to #26 before Secret Wars started.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    That's just so ridiculous.
    Extremely ridiculous, especially for one like myself who bought the 500th issues of Action Comics, Detective Comics, and Adventure Comics when they originally came out and thought it was so cool they all made that milestone.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I think Marvel just takes more risks at a lower issue range (the whole "get past #10" issues thing) and so they don't have to cancel stuff that doesn't work because they ride it out until the end or they don't have time to cancel it due to the short issue count. Marvel operates after doing that and figuring out through those risks what works and what doesn't, and DC I think is too afraid to take those risks in the first place, or they just push a lesser known character TOO much like giving him his own series right off the bat or something of the like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Quite the opposite. Marvel has titles like Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat, Weirdworld, Howard the Duck, Black Knight, Starbrand & Nightmask, Howling Commandos, Silk, Red Wold etc.
    All of which have been announced and launched within the last 6 months, in what can only be described as a jolt in creativity from the House that ran out of Ideas several years ago when Morales met Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    The big difference is Marvel usually goes with fan-favorite characters instead of relaunching long dead concepts out of the blue. Even Red Wolf was a major part of a Secret Wars mini before getting his book.
    I think its a smarter strategy. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Prez, but it wouldn't have hurt to introduce her somewhere where people would take notice before giving her her own book.
    That however is all true, and in tune with what I said earlier about Marvel actually putting some effort into letting people know this character is getting an ongoing. Whereas DC tends to launch things and see if it floats before pushing it... meaning it's most likely sunk first.

Telos is cancelled? When did this happen? Couldn't they of just let it run it's full length of twelve issues.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Yea sadly DC can't even get out the 12 issues of Telos it advertised. I'm hoping he'll pop up somewhere else eventually though. Maybe future issues of Legends of Tommorow if that can last past six issues, or some other anthology or something.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

How many issues of Telos is there now? Are they going to leave it at three? This series is on my pull list and yes it is a little weak but it's just starting.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

It will get six issues released. The last issue is set for March 2016.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Yea sadly DC can't even get out the 12 issues of Telos it advertised.
    I'm still honestly annoyed by the whole thing. I was under the impression that all of the DC You titles were guaranteed 12 issue to tell a complete story so that people that picked them up would get a full story and the writers would have time to tell one without feeling rushed. I'm even relatively sure I actually saw it said somewhere official though I can't find it anywhere now and I know that writers like Tom King seemed to be planning for 12 issue runs as well. Now instead of the promised 12 issues to tell a complete story we get this nonsense about some of them having been planned as minis from the start (like Lost Army) and they get canned around issue 6 instead. DC should have never made that promise but they did and frankly they should have stuck by it. That's just my opinion though.

Also I have sent in my complaint to DC regarding Telos. Thanks for the link in your sig GreenLanternRanger.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 12-18-2015 at 03:54 PM.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Thanks for the support JT.

Anyway I'm just hoping something is done to let Telos complete his story and find his family. i mean Lost Army continues as Edge of Oblivion, doomed Is in Teen Titans so maybe Telos will pop up somewhere eventually as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Thanks for the support JT.

Anyway I'm just hoping something is done to let Telos complete his story and find his family. i mean Lost Army continues as Edge of Oblivion, doomed Is in Teen Titans so maybe Telos will pop up somewhere eventually as well.
    Yeah, I was really looking forward to seeing him find his family again and it would have been a really good way to end the series as well. Oh, well at least maybe he'll turn up somewhere else. They did put Doomed in Teen Titans after all.

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

In hindsight DC shouldn't have guaranteed 12 issues for all DCYou titles. The number should have been 6 issues for each with more issues for the ones that are the best received.

Otherwise DC comes out looking like damned fools for retroactively reducing the issue number for the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ferro View Post
    In hindsight DC shouldn't have guaranteed 12 issues for all DCYou titles. The number should have been 6 issues for each with more issues for the ones that are the best received.

Otherwise DC comes out looking like damned fools for retroactively reducing the issue number for the books.
    No, they really shouldn't have unless they really intended to follow through with it. If they had any doubts about things at all, even just the slightest one, they should have given all of those series a minimum of six issues as you said instead and then continued with those that worked out well sales wise and/or the ones that the critics seemed to like a lot. And then they should have promoted the heck out of those that remained after 6 issues. But they didn't so now they're looking like a bunch of morons.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Extremely ridiculous, especially for one like myself who bought the 500th issues of Action Comics, Detective Comics, and Adventure Comics when they originally came out and thought it was so cool they all made that milestone.
    Exactly.

Plus it's just so much easier to keep track of stories and creative teams. Why don't they just not put numbers on their books at all? Seems like that'd make more sense.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

You know, with the craziness for renumbering prevalent these days, it's sort of humorously ironic to remember that at the dawn of the Silver Age, when DC decided to give THE FLASH a second chance with the introduction of Barry Allen, they started the new FLASH series starring Barry by picking up the numbering from the Golden Age FLASH series starring Jay Garrick...at # 105 (the Golden Age title with Jay was cancelled after # 104), and the reason at the time was because the heads at DC figured that readers wouldn't want to pick up a book starring a character who had no lengthy track record.

Seems quaint from today's perspective, to be sure.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014