forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Default weekly collection reviews part 4

Previous reviews:
    part 1
    part 2
    Part 3

Hey folks, are you ready for a new review?
    For people who spent some time with on this forum will probably know I'm very fond of the Wildstorm universe. Why? Because it had the charms of Marvel amd Dc but great creators there were not bothered by editorial, they could just create good stories. Like the popular Planetary and the medium changing Stormwatch by Ellis. But today I'll be reviewing a whole other run, the Sleeper omnibus by Brubaker and Sean Phillips!

Brubaker is slowly becoming more popular and he has gotten quite some critical acclaim on his mainstream superhero stuff like Captain America and Catwoman. But his best works almost always has 2 factors in it: it always has noir/crime elements and it's drawn by Sean Phillips. Sleeper has got it all. Sleeper tells the story of a double agent, Holden Carver, who lost contact with the only man who knew he was undercover.
    Sleeper is a contained read but features a lot of Wildcats and Authority characters for the hardcore fans. The power behind Sleeper is that you never know for certain, you always have this sense of doubt in the back of your head as you watch the characters cheat, kill and lie through the book. 'That guy is double crossing that guy but maybe it's a triple cross?'. Sleeper is perhaps the best Noir superhero tale ever created. When Holden has hope, you get hope, when that hope is crushed, so does yours. This book contains quite a lot of nudity, swearing and brutal violence but it never feels out of place. I recommend this book to everyone who likes Brubaker and/or Phillips, someone wwho is interested in the Wildstorm universe, hell, I recommend this to anyone who loves noir stories.

Sleeper and it's prelude Point blank are available in 3 trades (one for Point blank, one for #1-12 and one for #13-24) but I highly recommend the omnibus which collects everything and I think is Dc's best omnibus up to date, quality, price and content wise.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

And for the Wildcats by Casey and Grifter fans Phillips draws him excellent again

"You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47