Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bumping this. Someone talk to me about this comic book!

I think the problem is that it's too good.

Some additional thoughts about last issue:

1) Looks like the Grand Mechanic has a screw loose. I wonder what her deal is. Morgan Le Fey and her terminal gf aren't fans; I wonder how Jennifer Kale feels about her.

She DOES have a pretty rad giant ghost robot.

2) The Grand Mechanic said that Becca doesn't belong - which I find odd considering Weirdworld is where lost things go to be found. What kind of thing doesn't belong in a place like that?

3) Earthfall = ?

4) I liked the frog guy in that one panel.

5) Extremely interested in next issue!

6) Random thought - it might be fun to have a volume of Weirdworld in which the Runaways are the protagonists.

-Pav, who hopes this volume lasts as long as it's supposed to...

PS: Even though Shumphries seems focused on establishing new characters, I'm still interested in what lost Marvel characters you'd like to see found in Weirdworld!
    Last edited by Pav; 02-14-2016 at 10:04 AM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Weird World is easily one of the best comics to come out of Secret Wars - and the best original title Marvel
    has done in years.

Sheer comic nirvana
    Last edited by Von; 02-14-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Weird World is easily one of the best comics to come out of Secret Wars - and the best original title Marvel
    has done in years.

Sheer comic nirvana
    QFT!

Favorite character in the new volume?

-Pav, who has a hard time choosing...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.

--------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    has done in years.

Sheer comic nirvana
    agreed completely

i havent read the newest issue yet but to answer pav's question, ogeode/catbeast is my favorite so far with becca in a close second. i was so utterly saddened when the weird creepy little wizard man ogeode got murdered by goleta in #1 so i have a grudge against her. but then i was ecstatic when i found out the fabled catbeast from the solicitations is just ogeode in one of his extra bodies. cant wait to read this new issue! (i cant remember what number we're up to lol)
    Last edited by rellum; 02-14-2016 at 01:51 PM.
    Current Pull List:
    DC (Rebirth): All-Star Batman, Aquaman, Batman, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Justice League
    Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Black Panther, Black Widow, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, Power Man and Iron Fist, Spider-Gwen
    Image: The Walking Dead
    Dark Horse: Dept-H

Titles that I wish I could afford to also follow
    All-New All-Different Avengers, Scooby Apocalypse

I just added this comic to my pull list. It's great fun...I love our 3 Amigos...Becca, Goleta and Catbeast. Love the design of the grand mechanic.

And I wonder if Morgan La Fey remembers Spider-Woman.

More people need to read this.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Y'know, I was thinking - one of the fun elements of this new volume is Shumphries utilizing a "band of merry travelers" rather than a single protagonist. As a huge fan of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale computer games - which follow D&D rules - it's fun to see this book playing around with the idea of "the mage" and "the wizardslayer" and now "the thief."

So here's a fun creative exercise: imagine you're in charge of putting together the next band of Weirdworld protagonists, and you're to build the group utilizing the standard fantasy character tropes while simultaneously pulling in OBSCURE characters from across Marvel's publication history.

WHO DO YOU CHOOSE?!

-Pav, who is already creating his...

Fighter: Nom the Giant
    Priest: St. Sinner
    Thief:
    Ranger: a member of the Silver Bullet Gang
    Mage:
    Last edited by Pav; 02-15-2016 at 11:18 AM.

--------------------

I love that Morgan is being humanized in a way that's never really been done with her. She's always been depicted as just an evil sorceress doing evil things. And she was always a lot of fun at that, of course. I've always liked her. But I've also always wanted a little more. Remember, in the old stories, she was one of the women who took Arthur's body to Avalon, and she was initially described as a healer. So she's more complicated than a lot of people think of her. So I'm glad that Humphries is actually making her a more complex character.

Also, Weirdworld is just goddamn amazing:
    hotfiyah (2).jpg

I want this as my new catchphrase.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I love that Morgan is being humanized in a way that's never really been done with her. She's always been depicted as just an evil sorceress doing evil things. And she was always a lot of fun at that, of course. I've always liked her. But I've also always wanted a little more. Remember, in the old stories, she was one of the women who took Arthur's body to Avalon, and she was initially described as a healer. So she's more complicated than a lot of people think of her. So I'm glad that Humphries is actually making her a more complex character.

Also, Weirdworld is just goddamn amazing:
    hotfiyah (2).jpg

I want this as my new catchphrase.
    I agree with all of is. And that I Spit Hot FIYAH! had me laughing pretty damn hard. I love this book.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Once again, this book is amazing and everyone should be reading it!
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

Default Weirdworld Discussion Thread

I used the advanced search option to see it their was a thread dedicated to the discussion of Marvel's current comic book "Weirdworld" and as I didn't see one I decided to create one myself as I'm a passionate fan of the comic and I would love to be able to discuss it with other readers.

As a child I grew up watching TV shows like Xena Warrior Princess, American Dragon Jake Long and Irwin Allen's 'Lost In Space' and I enjoyed (still do) reading books like C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl and playing RPG's like Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker and Final Fantasy Tactics; for me, there really hasn't been a great comic book that embodied all of that until Sam Humphfries and Mike Del Mundo released their beautiful and colorful comic "Weirdworld" following the adventures and misadventures of Goleta the Wizard Slayer, Becca and Catbeast. For me, this comic is BLOCKBUSTER. It's got two great female lead characters, gorgeous eye candy art and catchy, fast paced action backed by great writing. It's almost as if someone took elements from Harry Potter, Mad Max Fury Road, Adventure Time and Dungeons & Dragons and combined it all in a blender and out came Weirdworld. I've been tweeting to all creators of the comic along with Pixar, Disney Animation Studios and Marvel encouraging them to make either a animated TV show or a feature film based on the Weirdworld properties because it's ripe for the media arts be it in anime, movie or video game form.

The Weirdworld appreciation thread is here.

Thanks for pointing me there! I'm sorry I missed that thread.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by ZionAkeda View Post
    Thanks for pointing me there! I'm sorry I missed that thread.
    Duly merged into the first thread.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

@Pav, you're the BEST guy in this thread! It's so awesome to see another Dungeons and Dragons fan here! One of the greatest things about the comic Weirdworld for me was that it feels like a loving and tasty Cinnamon Toast Swirl mesh of Dungeons and Dragons, Chronicles of Narnia, Maleficent and Steven Universe but what's even cooler this comic has got elements of RPG things like The Legend of Zelda.

To put it into the simplest form; this Weirdworld title from S. Humphfries and M. Del Mundo has done for Marvel what Adventure Time has done for Cartoon Network. I don't know if you guys were fans of Gravity Falls on Disney XD but that show is the BEST animated TV Disney program to have aired since the days of Kim Possible and Dave The Barbarian. Anyway, I was heartbroken to tears when the show ended. I just wonder if the executes at Disney/Marvel/Netflix realize what a media arts goldmine Weirdworld is. Not only can it work on as a TV show or movie but it can also be made into a great RPG video game on Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo NX. Imagine playing a video game from the perspective of Catbeast and switching between his cat form and Ogeode wizard form; that would be so very cool! Especially, if some areas of the game can only be accessed in cat-form. Also, a RPG video game with local-splitscreen multiplayer and/or online could allow for drop-in/drop-out where players could play as Goleta, Becca and Catbeast/Ogeode. There are just so many possibilities offered by Weirdworld. My main concern is that if Marvel/Disney make a movie out of Weirdworld, I'd rather it be animated by the PIXAR guys although traditional animation would be more befitting something like Weirdworld but all the studios seem to be keen on 3D toons.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH I LOST ALL THE TEXT TO THE POST I HAD WRITTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay. Zipping through it more quickly this time around.

First: Zion! Glad to have you here! I agree with so much of what you said! I hadn't thought of it before, but there certainly is some "Adventure Time" in this comic. (I'm a big fan of that show and cartoons in general.)

Second: The balance of humor, action, and heartbreak was done so well this issue. I thought Shumphries really balanced the various tones and action expertly. Probably his best issue of WW yet, in my mind.

Third: I LOVED seeing who Goleta lost - ZIRKANA, a Crystal Warrior! (How funny is the choice of her name considering what's up with her this issue?!) I wonder if the piece Goleta still has of her is her heart, and I wonder if we'll get a quest in which our sad/rad warriors seek to put her back together again, a la Crystar in the first volume.

Fourth: Obviously the trope of the "Super Great Place That Is Actually Terrifying" is pretty common - it's as old as Hansel and Gretel, at least - but, reading this issue, I was reminded specifically of Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles.

Fifth: I loved seeing Goleta eating the monster's tentacles. So funny.

Sixth: I wonder if/when we'll meet other Wilder Men, and if they will be other obscure Marvel wizards.

Seventh: This issue had an interesting take on the phrase "Where the Lost Can Be Found". So far it's been used in a positive manner by those speaking the motto, but obviously this issue took the meaning in a different way.

OKAY, THEORY TIME: We know that Morgan le Fay wants to get her hands on Becca and the Wuxian Seed. We know that the Grand Mechanic doesn't believe Becca belongs in Weirdworld. We know that Becca might bring about Earthfall, though we don't really know what Earthfall is. I wonder if we got a clue in one of the panels showing Becca home, alone, dealing with her depression and grief - she covers herself with a Marvel-themed blanket. Now, I know superhero-themed goods and comics exist within the Marvel Universe, but I can't help but wonder if Becca is actually from OUR EARTH, not the Marvel Earth! And maybe that explains why Morgan le Fay wants her so badly - so she can take her sick/dying significant other to our Earth and get medical treatment, perhaps for cancer. What do you think of that theory?

Finally - man, I just love the art. I just love it.

Next issue: SKULL THE REDEEMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Pav, who feels like the book is swiftly reaching its first major climax and hopes the sales warrant another storyline after this first one wraps up...
    Last edited by Pav; 03-10-2016 at 09:08 AM.

--------------------