Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Captain Marvel #1

Strap in, suit up and take flight True Believer! The Captain is back and she is dialing it up a notch. Today Marvel is pleased to present your first look inside CAPTAIN MARVEL #1 - the high-flying new ongoing series! Calling all Carol Corps members! Marvel's Agent Carter Executive Producers and Showrunners Michele Fazekas & Tara Butters make the jump to Marvel Comics to pen the explosive adventures of Carol Danvers alongside fan-favorite artist Kris Anka (Uncanny X-Men)!

It's a bold new frontier for Earth's Mightiest Hero as she soars to new heights on her most daring mission yet - head of the all-new Alpha Flight space program. As Earth's first line of defense, Carol and Alpha Flight protect the planet from any and all threats the deep void of space can throw at them. With a space station and an entire fleet at her command, if you come here looking for trouble, you won't know what hit you! But is Carol ready to be a soldier and a diplomat at the same time? Especially when an unknown enemy emerges she can't quite punch.

Hero. Pilot. Avenger. Leader. The next evolution of Carol Danvers begins this fall as she blasts off once again in CAPTAIN MARVEL #1!

Full preview here.

Astonishing Member

Seeing Sasquatch makes me wonder if this book is a backdoor pilot for an Alpha Flight ongoing.

Can someone Meme that Deadpool panel with "Aliens" ?

Kris Anka's artwork is killing it. Can't wait to see Carol and Abigail butt heads!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Punch an asteroid till it explodes!

Yeah!

I can't wait to read issue 1 artwork is awesome and it's cool to see Sasquatch I hope to see Talisman too in this book ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Seeing Sasquatch makes me wonder if this book is a backdoor pilot for an Alpha Flight ongoing.
    They've tried that fairly recently (2011, I think), and it tanked. I think they're just trying to utilize the characters and maybe draw in a few curious readers. Which, hey, no complaints -- it's worked on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    I can't wait to read issue 1 artwork is awesome and it's cool to see Sasquatch I hope to see Talisman too in this book ^^
    The Alphans we've seen previews for so far have been Aurora, Puck, and Sasquatch. I think Shaman's been guest-starring over in Dr. Strange too, if that's of interest.

Art looks great! And Brand is back (I'm probably more excited about her than Carol lol).

Amazing Member

Art looks superb, but that cosplay cover -- ugh.

Alrightyroo y'all.

This. Looks. GREAT.

Exciting direction. Gorgeous colors. Fun cast.
    THRILLED to see Abigail. She looks GREAT! Also really lovely design element stuff going on here throughout the space station.
    Seeing Sasquatch is fun too. The body language is very expressive and clear -- you can easily see Carol's confusion about Sassy's presence/meditation/whatever.
    I dig it. I'm eager to see Carol interacting with Aurora and Puck as well. Love their redesigns (which you can find on Anka's tumblr in case anyone is interested)

One miniscule criticism would be in the punch-splash-page: Some anatomical accuracy may have been sacrificed in order to show more of Carol's face -- her mouth specifically. As such, the extension of her neck verges on giraffe-esque. Or... we'll say SWAN-like since Carol is a lovely lady. heh.

Astonishing Member

Cover looks nice, but the interior art is mediocre. Still not a fan of this new outfit -- it's not a design that stands out like all of her previous outfits did. I think they could have taken any of those and made them more unisex (i.e. -- lose the bare legs). Marvel has discarded two iconic super hero outfits (Ms. Marvel and Spider-Woman) and give us new run-of-the-mill designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    They've tried that fairly recently (2011, I think), and it tanked. I think they're just trying to utilize the characters and maybe draw in a few curious readers. Which, hey, no complaints -- it's worked on me!

The Alphans we've seen previews for so far have been Aurora, Puck, and Sasquatch. I think Shaman's been guest-starring over in Dr. Strange too, if that's of interest.
    aren't they all dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Seeing Sasquatch is fun too. The body language is very expressive and clear -- you can easily see Carol's confusion about Sassy's presence/meditation/whatever.
    I'm not a huge fan of Sasquatch, but just this little glimpse of him is very interesting. He's had rage issues tied to his transformation going all the way back to the Byrne era... and a super-strong bruiser who can't control his anger is one hell of a liability in a closed environment. Maybe he's finally taking steps to mitigate one of his many screw-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    aren't they all dead?
    Aurora and Sasquatch never died of Bendis-plot, and Puck got better.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Cover looks nice, but the interior art is mediocre. Still not a fan of this new outfit -- it's not a design that stands out like all of her previous outfits did. I think they could have taken any of those and made them more unisex (i.e. -- lose the bare legs). Marvel has discarded two iconic super hero outfits (Ms. Marvel and Spider-Woman) and give us new run-of-the-mill designs.
    Interior art looks ok to me, but Rocafort has spoiled me because Carol looks amazing in The Ultimates.

Man that Deadpool cover is just pure gold
    "This is me being reasonable"

Hah, is that Rocket pushing the radioactive boxes?