Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Deadpool & X-Force Omnibus - that was more entertaining than I had expected. Either the 90s aren't as bad as their reputation or I'm just not far enough into the 90s yet The omnibus name should have been X-Force 2, but Marvel decided to cash in on the popularity of Deadpool, whose two first miniseries are included here. They did the same with X-Force 3, which is called Cable & X-Force and profited from the second Deadpool movie. Have to say that there are a lot of twists and revelations and I enjoyed this. Did not expect to like the characters as much but they grew on me. Also, while I have been bitching about some of Liefeld's art in the first omnibus, he did help create a good "new" team that I actually enjoyed significantly more than New Mutants when Louise Simonson was writing them. Haven't read enough of Claremont's New Mutants to comment on that.

I discovered that actually I should have read X-Men Shattershot and Fatal Attractions first but I already knew that a certain villain was coming back so I wasn't spoiled. But I will read those two now before I dive into Cable & X-Force.

Astonishing Member

Seven to eternity 16

Penultimate issue, damn...what a fantasy book this is. I am loving it

Incredible Member

X-Men Shattershot OHC - interesting collection of stories in between events. Personally not a fan of Mojo world but the issues on Betsy Braddock / Psylocke were interesting

X-Men Fatal Attractions OHC - this has a couple of very memorable moments in it, which I was looking forward to. Wasn't let down. Thus far I am not too shocked by the 90s but people tell me from here it's all downhill. Not sure though as I have read Age of Apocalypse years back and really liked it. The only real 90s turn-off for me so far is the art. Everybody has way too many muscles, there's too much usage of lines with the simultaneous first attempts at gradient colours. Proportions (especially women's) are way off. Having an idealised (teenager's wet dream) body image of the female superheroes is one thing, but being at least somewhat anatomically correct would also be nice

Incredible Member

X-Men Wedding of Cyclops & Phoenix OHC
    Cable & X-Force Omnibus
    Phalanx Covenant OHC
    Legionquest OHC.

The Wedding OHC was enjoyable, especially the miniseries where Scott & Jean travel to the future. The Cable & X-Force Omnibus was good but it felt like it had lost a bit of steam. Once it focused on the Phalanx Covenant it got better again. The Phalanx Covenant was a nicely done cross-over but I thought it dragged on a bit long. What is interesting that the whole legacy virus issue is not resolved even at the moment when everything ends and we enter the Age of Apocalypse. Curious to see whether it gets picked up again afterwards.

The Legionquest OHC was a good continuation and while it double-dips with the AoA Omnibus, this reads much better as preparation for AoA.

This was a great lead-up to the Age of Apocalypse Omnibus, which I just started. I have read it before but then without all the prior history of the X-Men.
    Last edited by Foxy; 03-24-2021 at 02:43 AM.

Just finished re-reading Moore's The Courtyard followed by Neonomicon and finally Providence.

Sort of feels like I need my brain needs a good scrubbing out. 4 out of 5.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 03-24-2021 at 07:00 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Just finished re-reading Moore's The Courtyard followed by Neonomicon and finally Providence.

Sort of feels like I need my brain needs a good scrubbing out. 4 out of 5.
    I read the courtyard and Neonomicon a while back and I saw why it is controversial and at the same time I didn't find it compelling enough to continue to Providence. Which is a shame because I have the kickstarter boxset.

Is Providence better?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    I read the courtyard and Neonomicon a while back and I saw why it is controversial and at the same time I didn't find it compelling enough to continue to Providence. Which is a shame because I have the kickstarter boxset.

Is Providence better?
    Is it one storyline, or can you read one without the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    ading
    Is Providence better?
    It's the best of the three imo because it ties up the entire storyline. I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with most of Lovecraft's body of work beforehand as Providence is heavy with references and easter eggs. You may want to visit this site while reading each issue. I found it helpful in pointing out some references I'd missed.
    I should caution you that there are some very graphic and disturbing scenes and themes. This is absolutely not a series for kids or young adults.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Is it one storyline, or can you read one without the other?
    I'd recommend reading the entire storyline in order. I don't think any of them would make much sense without the rest.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 03-25-2021 at 05:17 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    It's the best of the three imo because it ties up the entire storyline. I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with most of Lovecraft's body of work beforehand as Providence is heavy with references and easter eggs. You may want to visit this site while reading each issue. I found it helpful in pointing out some references I'd missed.
    I should caution you that there are some very graphic and disturbing scenes and themes. This is absolutely not a series for kids or young adults.

I'd recommend reading the entire storyline in order. I don't think any of them would make much sense without the rest.
    Thanks for the tips!

Incredible Member

Age of Apocalypse Omnibus - This was a re-read for me. I bought it in 2016 after I saw the post-credit scene of one of the X-Men movies referencing Apocalypse. It was my second ever omnibus (after Infinity Gauntlet, which I also bought because I was curious about Thanos).

When I read it back then, all my X-Men knowledge came from the X-Men movies. SO I didn't know half of the characters (at least). I did know that some who were meant to be good were suddenly on the wrong side and vice versa. Enjoyed it a lot.

This time around, I enjoyed it much more since I knew basically all the characters and had a much better idea about the history of the X-Men. I had now read almost everything Uncanny X-Men and X-Men starting from Claremont, plus X-Force and the X-Factor and New Mutants stuff that is included in some of the event OHCs like Inferno.

So I can safely say it more than held up on a second reading and it's still one of my - if not the - favourite X stories.

Incredible Member

Finally my BPRD Devil You Know Omnibus came in, so I had to interrupt my X-Men readathon. And while I was at it, I immediately read all the "Mignolaverse" TPBs I had left.

BPRD Devil You Know Omnibus - a worthy if somewhat short conclusion to both the BPRD and Hellboy sagas. Insanely fast paced, this wraps up most arcs satisfyingly. However, I was kind of bummed that there was not a sort of epilogue remembering fallen main characters etc. EDIT: having a couple of days distance I think the series deserved a better send-off for the main characters. Overall I'm happy still with how the story wraps up (it's been hinted at for years), but the characters should have been given the time to reconnect. Missed opportunity.

Koshchei the Deathless TPB - this figure appeared before in the Hellboy universe and was a very interesting addition to the lore. Great further expansion on his story.

Witchfinder TPB 4 and Witchfinder TPB 5 - I really like Sir Edward Grey's adventures and how they tie in to the larger narrative. I'm still missing TPB 6 but I'm actually waiting for the second omnibus that comes out at the end of the year. This series is one of the best Hellboy universe additions.

Rise of the Black Flame TPB - as a stand-alone story it's ok, but given the later significance of this character I would have expected a bit more. Still enjoyable.

Rasputin Voice of the Dragon TPB - slightly better than Rise of the Black Flame and on par with other character miniseries. But here I really would have expected much more of a proper origin story. Good overall but a bit of wasted potential.

The Visitor TPB - finally some info about those aliens (whom I had forgotten about until they suddenly showed up again right before the end of the entire saga). Fun quick read, not essential.

While I have yet to read some other stories like Hellboy and the BPRD, the main narrative is done and it is definitely one of my favourite comic series / universes. Such an amazingly rich world but with a straightforward enough main story that you have the choice of reading it like an executive summary or a deep dive. What surprised me the most is how consistently high quality many of the other series were. The Abe Sapien Dark & Terrible Omnibus volume 1 really wasn't great but picked up a bit in the second volume. While not everything was triple A rated, the level of consistency was pretty high overall.
    Last edited by Foxy; 04-09-2021 at 01:02 AM.

Incredible Member

X-Men Road to Onslaught Custom Omnibus - some interesting stories, including a confrontation between "our" Beast and the one from the Age of Apocalypse timeline, some more digging into whatever suspicions Bishop has regarding Gambit etc. However, given the title, there was not a lot of actual setup for Onslaught. His name gets dropped a couple of times and then there's one confrontation with one of his henchmen and some weird interaction with Gateway and Professor X and that's it. Scott at some point tells Jean that with all they've fought against, Onslaught may be the one foe they cannot beat but somehow that feels unearned as there is not a lot so far to back that up.

On the custom omnibus: it contains the three Road to Onslaught TPBs, but it's oversized. Not sure how they did that, found it on ebay. The quality of the scans / prints is not always great (maybe the same issue applies to the TPBs but I haven't seen them). All in all it's very nicely made, good binding and a nice dust jacket.

Will start on the Onslaught Omnibus proper tonight after work. Let's see what all the fuss is about

Fire Power vol 2, by Robert Kirkman and Chris Samnee

Just as with the first volume, I devoured this in one sitting. Great stuff.

Ratings (ratings!) - Five fists of fire out of five

Superman : The Earth Stealers - One-shot space adventure featuring Supes, Lois, Jimmy, and Perry. Standard stuff if not for the wonderful work done by Curt Swan (pencils), Jerry Ordaway (inks), and Bill Wray (colours). Rating: 3.5/5

Incredible Member

X-Men/Avengers: Onslaught Omnibus - I went in with very low expectations given all the negative reviews I had seen. Based on these low expectations, I was actually positively surprised and I have to say I quite enjoyed it. There is a big detour in the middle part that takes a bit of the momentum out of the event and there is the abysmal "feral" Wolverine but overall I was very entertained.

I heard a lot of people were put off of comics after this but I do not immediately see why. I've actually read worse