Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334
    Standing Member

PETER PANDA 5 (April-May 1954) 9/10.
    celebrating 50 years of 4 beatles crossing a zebra

Marvel Feature Presents The Astonishing Ant-Man #4 (Jun 1972)

Written *cough* by Mike 'Oh God Make It Stop' Friedrich and drawn by Herb 'What Was All The Fuss About With This Guy Anyway The Only Time His Art Was Halfway Decent Was When He Was Inked By John Severin' Trimpe. No inker credited.

Oh wow you guys this comic was really bad. Hank Pym and Peter Parker are working on 'American Indian drugs' for some reason. They're using Doctor Curt Connors' lab for some reason. Some central casting gangster types kidnap Connors' son and demand the drugs in exchange for the kid's life. The comic can't make up it's mind if young Connors is named Timmy or Bobby. It's actually Billy. Hank Pym now has a dog who can understand commands so well it can drive a freakin' car (as long as permanently-shrunk Pym steers, of course - we wouldn't want to stretch the bounds of credibility here or anything). Peter Parker has to wait until Ant Man takes off somewhere so he can make the old switcheroo and beat up the bad guys as Spider-Man, because even though he knows Pym is Ant-Man, Peter can't return the courtesy and reveal himself to Pym as Spider-Man. Little bitch.

Ratings (ratings!): 1 "Mike Friedrich should never be allowed to write comics again"s out of 5.
    Last edited by Spike-X; 09-22-2019 at 03:54 AM.

Catch up from 22/8 till now...

Superman: Secret Origin 4/5 - Gary Frank is a very good artist, but if him drawing Superman as Christopher Reeve is a bit creepy, then him attempting teenage Christopher Reeve is worse. It's a good story though - and does look good.

MPH 4/5 - Probably one of the weaker Millarworld titles, but still enjoyable.

The Walking Dead v22-27 - 3.5/5-4.25/5 (depending on the volume) - Hats off to Kirkman and Adlard for this. They manage to keep the book consistently interesting and entertaining. Negan is just such an enjoyable character to read. It's a shame about the lack of swearing in the telly programme. Now I need to wait a few years to build up another batch of volumes so I can binge again like this. It's clearly the best way to read The Walking Dead

Summer Blonde 4/5 - More the same from Adrian Tomine. Slice of life snippets of flawed people, which always just kind of stop without any real resolution, but I think that works for these types of stories. Good stuff. It should appeal to anyone who likes Ghost World.

Ice Cream Man v1 3/5 - Nice art, and this could be good if it goes somewhere. Unfortunately this is a short 4 issue collection and only hints that it might go somewhere in the last couple of pages. The stories at the moment are very slight and seem to use the titular character as a bit of a deus ex machina device.

Superior Spider-Man (2018) #4 Written by Christos Gage, art by Mike Hawthorne

I reckon this might be my favourite Spidey title right now*, along with Friendly Neighbourhood... . We've got Otto Octavius in a cloned Peter Parker body (like those things are hard to find), complete with Spider-powers, trying his best to Do Good. However, he hasn't had a lot of practice at actually being a good person, so he has Anna Maria Marconi as his person in the chair, giving him patient, gentle guidance (screaming in his ear whenever he acts like an unfeeling, elitist douche, which is a lot). And he's gradually learning. We get a couple of really touching, human moments from him this issue.

Ratings (ratings!) - 4 Face Turns out of 5.

* 'right now' = six months ago, because Marvel Unlimited

Spectacular Member

I finished the Hickman read-a-thon with the Avengers Omnibus Vol 2 and Secret Wars. That was quite a journey and I think it is good enough to warrant a reread in the future. I learned that I can trust Hickman to tie it all together at the end, even if I occasionally got confused during the run and was wondering if plot threads would be picked up again.

Now I'm finishing up on everything related to the run, i.e. Infinity Companion, which contains some enjoyable but also some forgettable material. After that, I may read teh Avengers World complete collection but then I'll be reading some non superhero book.

Standouts from this run were Secret Warriors and Fantastic Four.

Millenium #2. About 3/5, its the second part of a two-part setup issue completely and has flaws - mainly that we don't know what this all means yet - but the art was nice. The idea of an immortal debriefing the Legion on the past, present and future is kind of interesting though.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.