Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Low Book One HC by Rick Remender - very good although it took me about 8-10 issues before I got really hooked. Remender's other titles I have read (Black Science, Fear Agent, Deadly Class) all grabbed me more or less immediately. He's one of my favourite writers and it's great to see him tackle optimisim for a change (not that there aren't any depressing things happening here). Looking forward to the continuation but I guess it will be a while until the next HC is out.

Incredible Member

Darth Vader Dark Lord of the Sith OHC 1 - so much fun! This series explores what Vader was up to after he was "rescued" by the Emperor. Very cool series so far. Unfortunately it only went for 25 issues and a couple of Annuals. Currently on the last 5 or so issues of the second OHC and curious whether it will also finish as strongly as the run is so far.

Incredible Member

Darth Vader Dark Lord of the Sith OHC 2 - still a lot of fun. Actually sad that the series ended, would have loved to read more about that era. Overall, I think I prefer Gillen's run a bit more, just because that's when Vader is in his prime and even more badass.

Anyway if you even remotely like Star Wars, then I'd recommend also reading Sat Wars by Jason Aaron, the aforementioned Darth Vader by Kieron Gillen and this run by Charles Soule. The Gillen run introduced the Dr Aphra character and she's great too - already pre-ordered her omnibus coming out later this year.

For years I have said that Superman/Batman Generations Vol 1 was not only my favorite Dc Story but my favorite comic story of all time. Well after today that story has been dethroned.

I just read the six issue Mini Spider-Man Life Story. This was with out a doubt the best time I have had reading a comic in as long as I can remember. I wouldnt even know where to start about how much I enjoyed this story. For those who have not read it go get it! I give it 4.5/5

Has the writer of this series Chip Z written any other Spiderman stuff I can read?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

X of Sword: Creation

I cannot enjoy that stuff because I miss the fun in the story. Not that I dislike Hickman overall, and not that I dislike heavy storys, but this one feels more like a drag to get through from the prelude to this.

And I will not remember any of the names of the 12 swords.

Incredible Member

X-Men: Bishop's Crossing OHC - interesting story and good to learn about Bishop's origins but the art was a bit tiresome at the beginning. There was a bit too much going on. Also the panel layout wasn't always logical so it was not an effortless read. Got better later on and the X-Men issues included at the end were better (different writer, i.e. Nicieza instead of Lobdell).

The Next on the X-Men reading list is the X-Force omnibus and after that way too busy art in the book I just read, I'm not sure that I'm ready for that

Therefore I took a break and read Paradiso TPB 1 Essential Singularity, written by Ram V of "These Savage Shores" fame. Very cool art and interesting writing although it starts out confusing. Just like Warren Ellis often does, Ram V here just throws you into the story and explains stuff later as you go along.

So far, so good - will read the second TPB tonight to see where the story goes.
    Last edited by Foxy; 09-30-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Hyperion, Dan Simmons.

It has to be the best sci-fi novel i have ever read.

Yes, i even rank it higher than my beloved God Emperor of Dune. Never thought i would say that one day.

Incredible Member

Paradiso TPB 2 Dark Dwellers - still intriguing but ended too soon. Sadly I discovered that there have been no new issues published since 2018. Not sure whether there will be a continuation.

Anyway good mystery, writing and art very good. Not on the same level as These Savage Shores, which was a 10/10 for me.

Mighty Member

September pull list - No Ghost Rider again

The Flash 4/5 stars (A well written last issue to the series)
    Hawkman 4/5 stars (I enjoyed the JSA)
    Thor 4/5 ( A nice quiet build up to a new story arch that foreshadows Thanos)

Hellblazer Rise & Fall 3.5/5 Good start to the mini series
    Dr. Strange 3.5/5 I remember quite liking it
    Wolverine 3.5
    John Constantine Hellblazer 3.5

Daredevil 3/5 - This is usually a 5 star read, but not the best issue from Zdarsky.
    Batman 3/5

Justice League Dark 2.5/5

Incredible Member

East of West Apocalypse Year One / Year Two Deluxe Editions - Hickman how I like him. Throws you into a story and you have to trust him to get up to speed along the ride. Fantastic world-building and concept of an alternative future of North America, plus a cool take on the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

Can't wait to read the rest when the final Deluxe Edition comes out in November.

Highly recommended!

I Am Legion. I had bought this trade a long, long time back and had a lot of trouble getting into it. Finally, I decided to power through and read it. Interesting premise and it had promise due to art by John Cassaday. However, it was an awful bore to get through.

I'd give it a 5 out of 10.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Incredible Member

New Teen Titans Omnibus 1 by Wolfman and Perez. Too me 3 weeks to read but I had very intense weeks at work and often was too tired to even read. That is by no means a reflection on the quality of the book. This gets compared to Claremont's Uncanny X-Men run a lot and I can definitely see some similar qualities besides the duration of the writer on one title (in both cases quite remarkable).

Like UXM, the series starts out a bit unsure of itself but once Wolfman/Perez hit their stride, it becomes very good very fast. Another similarity is that the characters are very distinct and have their own voices. In some team books, you could swap dialogue lines between characters and nobody would notice but here every team member is clearly outlined. As with Perez' excellent Wonder Woman run, I was positively surprised at the almost complete absence of childishness in these stories that started in 1980 (!).

Last but certainly not least, this is an entire omnibus full of Perez' art, which is a treat in itself. He's one of my all-time favourites so I'm very happy that I have more omnis of this series lined up.

Overall, I would highly recommend this book. I hear that omnibus 2 and 3 are the best material so given the strength of the first book, I guess I'm in for a ride.

Incredible Member

Irredeemable Omnibus - this was a fun read. Starts out really very strongly and overall comes to a satisfying conclusion. However, I think it could have benefited from some trimming here and there as some sub-plots went on a little longer than needed, while at the same time I would have hoped for a little bit more backstory on some of the supporting characters.

Overall I'd definitely recommend reading it. The Omnibus is softcover but that was ok. The gutter loss was acceptable (bit more than sewn binding as expected) and the spine on my copy did not get any ugly creases. So it's not a bad format.

Incredible Member

Nailbiter Murder Editions 1-3. October went by so quickly due to crazy work hours that I almost missed picking a read for Spooktober

So I picked Nailbiter, which had been on my shelf for nearly a year. I bought these at the big Amazon DE comics sale about a year ago. Read all three Deluxes within a couple of days, which is always a good sign as on modern runs I tend to read faster when I enjoy it (for older, wordy runs, it may still take long even though I enjoy it).

Thought it was a fresh kind of story, with the big mystery being not as big or outlandish as it could have been and I think that kind of worked. Some of the elements of the mystery were red herrings, both for the reader and the protagonists. I hear that there's more Nailbiter coming but for me, the story / ending is satisfying as it is.

Thor by Jason Aaron OHC 4. Some good Thor stories, picking up threads from what came before but there's one overarching theme which is the lead-up to the War of the Realms event. While I liked the stories in this volume ok, they were not as coherent or exciting as those contained in the previous volume. Also the art, while certainly fresh and different, did not match the fantasy-like setting as well as Ribic's or even more so Dauterman's. Luckily Dauterman is back on the War of the Realms miniseries.

This OHC is a bit strange in that it looks as if it doesn't know what it wants to be. It's not simply the last Aaron Thor series because that ran for 16 issues while the OHC has 1-11. At the same time, it's also not simply a bridge for the gap between the end of the Lady Thor run and the beginning of the big event as the War of the Realms Omnibus starts with Thor #8 and collects all the way to #16. On the other hand, I understand why issues #8-11 were also included in the event omnibus as these issues lead up to the event proper.

Anyway happy to be able to finish the Arron Thor run which was really great.

Batman Vol. 5: Zero Year - Dark City

I like the art. Capullo's young, angry Batman looks great. It felt fresh and creative, and seeing Gotham by daylight this much is also rare. Zero Year as a whole was a bit too long imo. Giving Gordon's coat a backstory was a bit too much for me, too.
    All in all, I had a good time with it.