Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Conan: Book of Thoth and other stories, which really should be "Book of Thoth and one other story". The main part, the Book of Thoth, is a really well-done origin story of Conan's arch-nemesis, with Kurt Busiek and Len Wein giving a compelling backstory with believable motivations for the characters, while Kelley Jones presents appropriately haunting art. The second story, "The Mask of Acheron", was really a comic adaptation of the Jason Momoa movie, but from the villain's perspective, and with more standart-issue art. 4/5

Incredible Member

Sir Edward Grey Witchfinder Omnibus 1. Very entertaining and a great addition to the Hellboy universe. The main character was mentioned / appeared already in some Hellboy stories and one of the arcs in this book also has ties to the greater universe. Mignola et al expertly weave this material together.

The stories were all good but a highlight worth mentioning is the Mysteries of Unland arc, which has fantastic art from Tyler Crook (of Harrow County fame) and is really creepy.

next up in my reading order are the 6 TPBs of Lobster Johnson and I already liked the character when he appeared in the pages of Hellboy and BPRD.

Incredible Member

Lobster Johnson TPB 1 - The Iron Prometheus. Very entertaining and very nicely tying in to some Hellboy / BPRD events I read recently. The fake "true history of Lobster Johnson" pages that are inserted in this collection are really funny too. Looking forward to reading volume 2 tonight.

Incredible Member

Lobster Johnson TPB 2 - The Burning Hand / Lobster Johnson TPB 3 - Satan smells a rat. Very entertaining series. Volume 3 is actually a collection of short stories. Liking the series a lot but wondering how it would stand on its own if there was no Hellboy universe for it to tie into. I think the occasional tie in and trying to spot hints at the larger universe are part of the fun of this series.

Incredible Member

Lobster Johnson TPB 4 - Get the Lobster. Still great, although I really hope that we will learn more about his identity in volumes 5 and 6 as until now he remains quite mysterious. Luckily there is a reporter in the story who investigates him and takes the reader along

As I am going on holidays, I will take a break from my Hellboy universe read-through as the next books are a mix of different formats and I don't feel like lugging them around. Therefore, I am taking 2 omnis with me: Swamp Thing Bronze Age and Sandman III.

Legion of Superheroes #285 (as part of The Great Darkness Saga TB, although nothing to do with that storyline). It was ok. 3/5.

Mighty Member

My comics for July:

1.Daredevil 5/5 For me, Zdarsky is the best writer out there at the moment. His Daredevil has been awesome!

2. Ghostrider 5/5 Really under rated comic book, Brisson is doing a really good job

3. John Constantine Hellblazer 4/5 A really good heart felt two part story on a mermaid of all things.

4. Batman 3/5 Tynion has been red hot on Batman recently, but the first issue of Joker's War, felt like an issue designed to set things up

5. Hawkman 3/5 Was a great series, but hasn't been able to recapture it's magic since the sky tryant storyline came in

6. Flash 3/5 Been good lately, Williamson has had a great run, I look forward to his finale

7. Thor 3/5

8. Justice League Dark 2.5/5 - At one point it was my favourite series, but I think Tryion's focus on Batman is starting to make me think JLD is taking a back seat in his writing efforts

9. Wolverine - 1//5 - What happened to the whole Wolverine/Dracula battle commencing in issue 1, it's been 2 issues now, not a peep, the other storylines aren't too exciting

10. Green Lantern 1/5 - Personal taste, I love Hal but can't get into Grant Morrison's writing at all!!!

6.5 Dr Strange 3/5 I knew I forgot a title
    Last edited by The no face guy; 08-06-2020 at 11:30 PM.

Astonishing Member

Join the future 1-2

Good stuff. Frightening if you really think about it.

Astonishing Member

Immortal Hulk#34.5/5.Really cool story and art.Al Ewing run in the Hulk comic book have been quite cool.And this story focused in the Leader and recaps the previous stories with him was another cool issue of this series.One of my favorite scenes with the Leader is from What If (Vol.1)#34,that pannel is not here,all though that story i am mentioning was a joke What If story with the Leader.

Immortal Hulk#35.4/4. Major shift in the art style in this story even if it works well with the story,is why i rated this story less that the previous issue.

Black Cat#11. 4/4.Looking forward to read the next issue after a surprising clifhanger in this story arc.Either the story or art of this comic book have been quite cool.

Astonishing Member

Empyre 0-3

I admit it, I am a sucker for big events. But I just buy the main series. It reads pretty good without all the tie ins, and I didn't see the twist coming. Cool story.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Empyre 0-3

I admit it, I am a sucker for big events. But I just buy the main series. It reads pretty good without all the tie ins, and I didn't see the twist coming. Cool story.
    I'm in the same boat with the major event stories. I'm really enjoying this one. Hope it keeps up.

5/5 so far for me.

Incredible Member

So back from holidays. I read the Swamp Thing Bronze Age Omnibus, which was unexpectedly good! The art was great throughout, as would be expected from Bernie Wrightson and Stephen Bisette, but there were also a lot of issues drawn by Nestor Redondo, who was new to me. His art was also great. Story-wise, it was much better than I expected and I appreciated that the rebranded Saga of the Swamp Thing series had a continuous 13-issue arc in a total of 19 issues. Glad I read this before reading Alan Moore's run (which I hope to read soon).

Secondly, I read the Carthago Origins TPB, which despite its name is actually the second half of the story that began in the first Carthago book. Sadly no HC this time. Great story and great art, basically adventure with mystery thrown in. The sharks are not the main focus anymore though. Definitely recommended, but having read the first half seems mandatory a otherwise one would be lost.

Currently halfway through the Sandman Omnibus Volume 3, which is great so far. Often I feel like stories that are added after the conclusion of the main narrative feel tacked-on and do not add much but here I am very positively surprised. Once I finish this, I will return to the Hellboy universe read-a-thon.

Incredible Member

Ok after finishing it my initial assessment of the Sandman Omnibus 3 stands. The stories are all worthwhile, most of them great, some good and (to me) none bad. I think that the stories did a good job of filling in bits and pieces about the Endless and providing more background on Death. Also the story set at the party taking place in the mansion where the Sandman is held captive is a nice tie-in. Overture is a nice story that explains how come the Sandman was so weakened that mere mortals were able to trap him at the start of the main series. The art throughout the omnibus varies (as with the original series). Highlights are the Dreamhunters comic drawn by P Craig Russell and of course Overture by JH Williams III.

TL;DR: if you liked the main series, you are likely to appreciate the stories in this omnibus.

After that it was time to return to the Hellboy universe read-a-thon and boy is it good to be back.

Lobster Johnson TPB 5 (The Pirate's Ghost and Metal Monsters of Midtown) and Lobster Johnson TPB 6 (A chain forged in life) were great as usual, as was Sledgehammer 44 TPB. Before reading these books, I saw them as ancillary to Hellboy/B.P.R.D. at best but they are very enjoyable and add a lot to the overall world building.

And back to one of the two mainstays (Hellboy and B.P.R.D.) I finished B.P.R.D. 1946 #1-5 last night and it was another fantastic B.P.R.D. read. Can't wait to read 1947 and 1948 tonight.
    Last edited by Foxy; 08-27-2020 at 12:05 AM.

Incredible Member

B.P.R.D. 1947 #1-5. Another great chapter, this time with art from Gabriel Bá and Fabio Moon (of Daytripper fame). A story that shows the earliest BPRD agents in action who were just regular soldiers and not experienced in the supernatural.

Hopefully I will find some time to knock out 1948 tonight as I didn't have as much time yesterday as I would have liked.
    Last edited by Foxy; 08-27-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Mighty Member

Comics for August: No Daredevil or Ghost Rider this month.

1. Wolverine 4.5/5 (This is what I've been waiting for, classic Wolverine up in some crappy logger bar in the Canadian wilderness, but it's the ending that gets me excited on this issue

2. Detective Comics 4/5 (Not a monthly collector of the title, but I'm a fan of Killer Croc, so I thought I'd pick it up, and was pleasantly surprised by the warm hearted take on a the villain, good commentary at the end.

3. Hawkman 3.5/5 (Like Sky Tyrant wasn't so big on Lord of the Void, but the ending of this issue was really good, and I loved the surprise on the last page, can't wait for the next issue now)

4. Dr. Strange 3.5/5 (Again good ending)

5. Batman 3/5 (For both issues, the lead up to Joker's War was superb, the war itself has been ho hum.

6. Flash 3/5 (Williamson's run was the strongest the first two years in when he brought in Godspeed, Wally and the first tangle with the Rogues, been a good series looking forward to the end)

7. John Contantine/Hellblazer 3/5 (The series been touch and go, often a bit too wordy for my taste, but sad to hear that it is being cancelled.

8. Justice league Dark 3/5

9. Thor 3/5

10. Daredevil Annual 3/5

11. Many Death of Vic Sage 3/5

12. Green Lantern 1/5 Dropped!!! Oddly enough my first encounter with Grant Morrison on a monthly, and I find it unbearable.
    Last edited by The no face guy; 08-27-2020 at 02:57 PM.