Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Aspiring Comic Creator theBellrhino's Avatar

Finally got around to reading both Luthor and Faith vol. 1: Hollywood and Vine this morning. I thought both of them were just okay, despite the potential they had. I'd give both of them a 3 out of 5 star rating.
    If you want a more in-depth review of both, you can read my GoodReads reviews:
    Faith vol. 1 <https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1754076898?book_show_action=false>
    Luthor <https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1752370662?book_show_action=false>
    "Just because there's a crack in something doesn't mean you throw it away."

Collected Edition and Graphic Novel Collection Current Standing:
    452 Books
    Single Issue Collection Current Standing:
    903 Issues

Quote Originally Posted by theBellrhino View Post
    Finally got around to reading both Luthor and Faith vol. 1: Hollywood and Vine this morning. I thought both of them were just okay, despite the potential they had. I'd give both of them a 3 out of 5 star rating.
    <snip>
    Luthor <https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1752370662?book_show_action=false>
    Ouch - Harsh words about Lee Bermejo's art. I think his stuff is fantastic - and that Luthor was very good over all.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Ouch - Harsh words about Lee Bermejo's art. I think his stuff is fantastic - and that Luthor was very good over all.
    To each their own.

452 Books
    903 Issues

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Afterlife With Archie #10. 4 out of 5
    "Interlude With The Pussycats": Josie reveals her life story and that of her partners Valerie and Melody to a tabloid reporter. To say the least, it's long and bloodcurdling. This book continues to both impress, and dish out goosebumps.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Finished Reading Persepolis, and the first two volumes of Uncanny Avengers by Rick Rememnder yesterday. I hadn't posted anything here yet because it was late when I finished them. Anyway:

Persepolis: 4 out of 5 stars <https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1744322112?book_show_action=false>

Uncanny Avengers vol. 1: the Red Shadow: Another 4 out of 5 stars <https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1755497926?book_show_action=false>

Uncanny Avengers vol. 2: the Apocalypse Twins: 4.75 out of 5 stars (the GoodReads review says 5 out of 5 because there was no decimal delineation I could choose)<https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1755497926?book_show_action=false>
    Last edited by theBellrhino; 09-12-2016 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Spelling Errors

452 Books
    903 Issues

I read Night's Demon #1 which is from Ted Naifeh. It's basically superheroes if they were in a fantasy (swords and sorcery) type of world.

I picked up the book on a whim off the new release shelf. I wasn't expecting much but I have to say that I really did quite enjoy the book.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

The Savage She-Hulk 15
    The cover made me think She-Hulk has a Hypno Hustler styled female villain, but it was more of an indirect PSA.
    The issue feels like an episode of The Incredible Hulk 1978 series, with She-Hulk instead of her male cousin, and no anger transformation.

I wonder what happens to Zapper, and why her relationship to him ends.
    A

Superman: The Man of Steel 007
    Fun little issue.
    A

Superman 700
    This is my second time reading the issue, my first time was when the issue was newly released. I loved it more when it was new.
    First feature and second feature are awesome, the prologue to Grounded is stupid in Superman's reason for grounding himself is some lady slapped his face and told him he was needed to save her late husband from his brain tumor instead of being in space saving Earth from a peril of space aliens.
    A-
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Banzai Battalion 4/5 - Real classic old-school (though not actually that old) 2000ad stuff in a similar vein to Sam Slade: Robohunter. I really enjoyed it.

3 Story: The Secret History of the Giant Man 4/5 - Quite a sad Matt Kindt tale about a man who grew really (really!) big.

Lighter Than my Shadow 4.5/5 - Exellent autobiographical work about the author's battle with eating disorders. Highly reccommended.

The Gigantic Beard that was Evil 3.5/5 - Fun story. It felt a bit like an overgrown kids' picture book for adults.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Action Comics Volume 5 - What Lies Beneath (4/5)

Just had a great time re-reading this in trade. If anything it's even better when read that way. The inclusion of the 'Secret Origin' and 'Zero Year' tie-ins as well makes perfect sense here and deepens the story.

This is amongst the best of the New52 era Superman. Great creative partnership between Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder. An absolute delight.

Finally read the Private Eye: Cloudburst Edition by Brian K. Vaughn and Marcos Martin. Easily one of the best books I've read in recent months. Check out my GoodReads review for a more in-depth opinion of this book.
    https://www.goodreads.com/review/sho...w_action=false

452 Books
    903 Issues

Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

Thor #7,#8: 9/10 Both this and Mighty Thor has been awesome. The action was great, I thought the fight with the Destroyer was great and thought it was cool and funny how for the Original Thor's army was pretty much everyone on his list of who he thinks the current Thor is. I also thought how they reveal how Jane Foster was Thor was cool.

Mighty Thor #1: 8/10 Like above this issue was also good. I like how they used the same artist as the other series. Definitely a strong start, looking forward for more.

Rocket Raccoon#1-4: 10/10 This is one of the funniest comics series that I've read yet. I love Skottie Young art in this series, I think he also wrote these issues too.

Marvel 1602: Fantastick four #1-5: 6/10 This one was all right. I thought it was cool how they changed the setting and I also thought it was cool how Sue was mostly invisible, except when she uses her forcefields. It was a little odd how only her powers are different in this time era though. I thought the pacing was all over the place. I thought the beginning was fine but the middle part dragged on a little too long and the ending felt rushed and abrupt. Also some parts feels underdeveloped. But overall it was a fun read.

X-men: Phoenix Warsong; 7/10 This was pretty good. The art was pretty good for the most part, except some times some of the characters had blank expressions. This did made some of the dialog come off as funny and odd as the dialog didn't match the character's expression. That being said I did think the story was pretty cool, it had this creepy feeling to it. At the end of the story I do feel bad for both Emma and the Stepford Cuckoos.

X-men: Deadly Genesis; 7/10 This was also pretty good too. Like Warsong I like how the story had this creepy and eerie feeling to it. Vulcan's introduction was pretty good and the reveal that Professor X was also one of the Mutants who loss his powers during M-day was also a surprise. Overall I thought the pacing was good but I did think the ending was a little too abrupt. I also thought Banshee's death was a little unnecessary.

Fantastic Four: 1234; 6/10 I actually have no idea what to make of this story, its just weird. There are a lot interesting stuff that happens and I was entertained but at the same time I was just loss. I felt like I had no idea what was going on. One minute Alicia is at her home talking to Susan but then next issue she was apparently kidnapped by the Moleman off screen. I don't know this was an odd one I didn't dislike it but I just don't know what to make of it yet.

Fantastic Four (1963) #1 and 2: 5/10 Man comics sure changed a lot since the 60s. I wouldn't say they were good but they were fun to read. Comics back then were so wordy. I did get a kick how you see the characters use their powers for the first time. Invisible Woman just knocking and pushing people out of her way, the Thing punches a hole through a wall and then jumps to the sewers and then makes a hole in the road to get out of the sewers, and then the Human Torch just burns a hole in his car and then harassed some fighter jets. XD
    Last edited by hedgehogvampire; 09-15-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Well, I finally finished reading the last two books that I recently bought (and by recently, I mean a few weeks ago).

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vol. 1: Shell Unleashed: 4 / 5 stars
    Full review here: <https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1757901385?book_show_action=false>

Dragonball 3-in-1 vol. 1: 1.25 / 5 stars (I would like to clarify here that this review is solely about the QUALITY of this edition and not a review of the story proper, which is nearly perfect in my eyes)
    Full review here: <https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1759709022?book_show_action=false>

452 Books
    903 Issues

All-New Member

Uhh
    new super-man #3: 8/10
    I didnt like the first issue that much. I didnt really understand what kind of story gene yang was trying to tell, but i thought the third issue was pretty solid. It kinda combined comedy, teenagers, mythology and superheroes without being too goofy. The great 10 finally makes an appearance and i hope we get a chinese justice league vs great 10 arc

I finished Animosity #2. I liked the first issue but I found this one to be a rather mish mash. The repeated time jumps in the story made it hard to follow and one part made it seem like the reader had missed something because it ends up making no sense.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member

Doctor Strange, vol 1 - 7/10.