Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Aspiring Comic Creator theBellrhino's Avatar

Been reading a lot of digital books lately (I hadn't realized that Comixology offered so many free books, and went a little stir-crazy with the shopping cart), and I just finished three of them:

Lost Dogs by Jeff Lemire: 4 / 5 Stars. Really great story.
    Full review here: <https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1764289049?book_show_action=false>

Class War #1 by Rob Williams and Terry Hairsine: 1.5 / 5 Stars.
    This is a really tired story. The whole government-run superhero team fighting in our modern wars trope was played out when it was done in the Ultimates 2 and Stormwatch, not to mention the whole "protagonist sees the truth and gets pissed" trope. The art is nothing to write home about either. Truth be told, I'm not even sure this was worth the price of "Free," so just skip it/

Batman #1 by Tom King and David Finch (Rebirth): 3 / 5 Stars.
    This was an okay start to a story arc, but I've seen better in other Batman books. It certainly illustrates the heroism and self-sacrifice of the titular character, but that's all this issue really does effectively.
    "Just because there's a crack in something doesn't mean you throw it away."

Collected Edition and Graphic Novel Collection Current Standing:
    452 Books
    Single Issue Collection Current Standing:
    903 Issues

Daredevil: Born Again

Solid. I think its a bit "old" for me though comic wise. Felt really rushed. But solid.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Really liked it.

The Watchman

It was ALL BOUT IT... until hte last chapter or whatever when it went off the rails IMO. Felt really, really ridiculously rushed to me. I was 10/10, all the way in... and then it kinda BS ended.

Batman: Year One

Thought it was boring. Really didn't like it honestly. Maybe I went in with too high of expectations or something
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Amazing Member

Re-read Animal Man 1 to 4 by Morrison & Troug. Great start to a great series. Also dug out the original Rom 1 by Mantlo & Sal Buscema - nice art but the story is a bit meh.

Spectacular Member

Superman Vol 4 issue 6 - 4.3 stars out of 5.
    Great issue and it was good to see Supes taking on some low level thugs again rather than some ominous end of reality scenario

Amazing Member

Weird Western Tales 19 from way way back. The general idea is that someone pisses Jonah Hex off and then he tracks them down and kills them. Nice art though

Quote Originally Posted by theBellrhino View Post
    Lost Dogs by Jeff Lemire: 4 / 5 Stars. Really great story.
    Full review here: <https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1764289049?book_show_action=false>
    Heart wrenching stuff t

Quote Originally Posted by theBellrhino View Post
    Class War #1 by Rob Williams and Terry Hairsine: 1.5 / 5 Stars.
    This is a really tired story. The whole government-run superhero team fighting in our modern wars trope was played out when it was done in the Ultimates 2 and Stormwatch, not to mention the whole "protagonist sees the truth and gets pissed" trope. The art is nothing to write home about either. Truth be told, I'm not even sure this was worth the price of "Free," so just skip it/
    That's a shame to hear. There was a real buzz around this book when it originally came out (which IIRC was around the same time as The Ultimates). I've always like Trevor Hairsine's art. He seemed to be destined for superstardom at the time, but I think he had scheduling issues or something and faded away.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Daredevil: Born Again

Solid. I think its a bit "old" for me though comic wise. Felt really rushed. But solid.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Really liked it.

The Watchman

It was ALL BOUT IT... until hte last chapter or whatever when it went off the rails IMO. Felt really, really ridiculously rushed to me. I was 10/10, all the way in... and then it kinda BS ended.

Batman: Year One

Thought it was boring. Really didn't like it honestly. Maybe I went in with too high of expectations or something
    These are all solid 5/5 books for me. Really about as good as it gets. I'm not sure why you felt Born Again and Watchmen seemed rushed.

Extraordinary Member

Alias - Bendis, I only read issues #1-#4 due to time constraints so I give it 9/10.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    These are all solid 5/5 books for me. Really about as good as it gets. I'm not sure why you felt Born Again and Watchmen seemed rushed.
    Not an old timey comic fan. Used to decompession. Born again needed to breath a little IMO.

Watchmen... it just ended too... tidey for me. Super smart mans super smart plan ended perfectly. Boom so many dead boom it worked perfect yay! Just didn't like it, felt like a cop out personally.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Watchmen... it just ended too... tidey for me. Super smart mans super smart plan ended perfectly. Boom so many dead boom it worked perfect yay! Just didn't like it, felt like a cop out personally.
    That wasn't how it ended though. It ended with one character thinking "yay", the rest very much not - and a guy was possibly about to pick up Rorschach's journal which would have exposed (and therefore undone) the whole plot.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    That wasn't how it ended though. It ended with one character thinking "yay", the rest very much not - and a guy was possibly about to pick up Rorschach's journal which would have exposed (and therefore undone) the whole plot.
    I thought exactly the same thing. That last page put a huge smile on my face the first time I read Watchmen.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Invincible Member

Concerning the original ending to Watchmen, I think editor Len Wein called Moore on the fact that he used the ending to an old episode of The Outer Limits

Aspiring Comic Creator theBellrhino's Avatar

Not an old timey comic fan. Used to decompession. Born again needed to breath a little IMO.

Personally, I prefer the movie's ending over the comic's ending. I know that puts a black mark on my comic geek card, but it's the one thing about the movie that I liked aside from the visual style Snyder achieved.
    "Just because there's a crack in something doesn't mean you throw it away."

Collected Edition and Graphic Novel Collection Current Standing:
    452 Books
    Single Issue Collection Current Standing:
    903 Issues

Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

Mighty Thor #2-5, 10/10 This comic contenues to be very strong. I this is one of my favorite Marvel comics right now.

Guardians of the Galaxy #6, 7/10 I thought this was a fun issue, it only had Kitty and Star Lord in it but I thought they worked great together and I got a good laugh from their interaction. I think the pacing was a little slow in some places like I did think that the comic did spend a little to much time with the two of them bickering back and fourth but overall it was still good.

Groot #1, 8/10 A great first Issue and a good start. Declan Shalvey's art was great, I like the cartoony designs for the characters. I definitely want to read more from this series.

Uncanny Avengers (2015) #1-7, 8/10 I been hearing good stuff about the series and I wanted to check it out and I think its great so far. I think the team works great off of each other. I think this is the first comic that I ever read that had Deadpool in it, he seems like a cool character so far. I did think it was weird how they only had Spider-Man on the team for less then one issue, what was the point of that? Also when did Cable get a talking tattoo? That being said I do think its cool how Rogue is like a leader to this group.

Rocket Raccoon #5, 8/10 It was kind of a "filler" issue but a fun one. I like how the story is all told by Groot and the only words that are said is "I am Groot" even the words on the building.

Astonishing X-men #1-5, 9/10 Great series so far. I like the humor and I laugh many times in the series. I don't really have much to say except that I like it a lot.

Magneto Rex #1-3, 5/10 This was kind of just there. the comic overall had an interesting story to tell but told in a mediocre way. It was just so wordy, like seriously the narrator was really redundant or it just tells you every little action or emotion the character is suppose to feel or do. That is was the art is for, you don't need to tell us every little thing we can see it. I also thought this needed like an issue or two more since some of it felt rushed.

Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Unite Vol. 1, 8/10 I loved the first crossover between Sonic and Mega Man and the second one looks like its shaping up to be a good one too. Its nice to see that the Freedom Fighters are involve since they were not apart of the first one. When the robotized Sonic and Mega Man was fighting the other heroes I wish the fights weren't so one sided but other then that I thought it was a great start.

Extraordinary Member

Read some more Alias, reaching 10/10. Its as good as people say it is.