Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

Guardians of the Galaxy and the X-men: The Black Vortex - 9/10 I really loved this crossover, it was great to see the X-men and Guardians work together, they make a great team. This was just a fun read and I thought there was a ton of funny moments too. And even though there was a lot of different artist working on this book and they all had different styles there was no weak link they all were good.

Fantastic Four Ultimate Collection Vol#1 - 7/10 I liked this graphic novel. It was pretty much lighter-hearted fluff, and there's nothing wrong with that. I thought the writer did a good job showing that the Fantastic Four was not only super heroes and explorers but also celebrities. I thought the art was good too, it fit the tone of the book.

Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 8/10 This was also a great crossover too. I thought the heroes and villains of both series worked great off each other. The art was fantastic and the action scenes was great too. It did think there were some pacing issues and probably needed one or two more issues to fix that, but it was still a fun series. I also thought Raphael was a little bit of a kill-joy in this, it wasn't to bad but every once in a while I did wish that one of the characters would slap him and tell him to lighten up.
    My pull list: Sonic the Hedgehog, TMNT, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Marauders, X-men, Excalibur

Atomic Robo v1: Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne 3.5/5 - Lively enough. Didn't blow me away

Ignition City 3.5/5 - Typical cynical Ellis work. This (along with a lot of his works) seemed to have a pacing problem where the ending was just a little too abrupt. The art is passable - which puts it above most Avatar comics.

About 18 months ago I read through all of Strangers in Paradise. I quite enjoyed it, but found the ending really lacking.

Turns out I'd accidentally missed the last two books - Doh:

Strangers in Paradise v18: Love & Lies 4/5
    Strangers in Paradise v19: Ever After 4/5 - A much more satisfying end. I still get irritated a bit by the poetry and sudden switches to prose for a few pages here and there, but it's good overall.
    Descender v3: Singularities 4/5 - Beautiful art, but very very decompressed - and this volume stops the story dead to give us some back stories, which makes the decompression even worse. Still good though - and beautiful art.
    25/3 The Manhattan Projects v6 3.5/5 - Easily the weakest volume of the series. Still fun, but in the end it's inconsequential.

Immortal Iron Fist

First part before the Tournament I liked. Solid comic. 8/10

The next section with the tournament... the tournament was cool in theory and had a couple good fights but, maybe due to the fact I don't know the character histories intimately... kinda meh overall. Art was dope so... 6/10
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

The Omega Men - The End Is Here (5/5)

I re-read this over the past couple of days. This time in trade form.

The trade format suits this series perfectly and, if anything, the whole shebang is even better when presented this way. The individual issues themselves are, of course, no different but there's some great bonus content in the back providing commentary and analysis of the propaganda inspired covers, the way that the series portrayed the six main planets of the Vega system, character designs etc. This was easily the finest DC title of the DC You initiative and one of their best books of the past five years.

The whole package just oozes quality. This was a special book.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Still blown away from the weekends Superman American Alien. There's AllStarSuperman and now there's American Alien for me. Superman has finally catched up with Batman for me (two great OGNs). It's been a while since I enjoyed a comic that much.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 03-29-2017 at 06:43 AM.

I've got a late birthday present still to arrive which I'm hoping will have American Alien in it.

I just read another of my birthday presents:

The Vision v1: Little Worse Than a Man 4.5/5 - Loved it. Closer in tone to Meet the Applegates or Very Bad Things than any superhero film - and with a bit of AI thrown in. Really nice dark humour on display. The art has what I like about John Romita Jr's art, but not what I don't like about John Romita Jr's art. Recommended. This is my first exposure to Tom King, but he's firmly on my radar now.

All-New Member

Killing Moon # 2
    4 out of 5
    PigDog Press

Richard Vasseur
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1471479013084628/

Extraordinary Member

Anakin & Obi-Wan #5 - Just realised I didn't finish it. wish i didn't. 4/10

Amazing Member

Crossed Volume 1 by Garth Ennis & Jacen Burrows. 9/10

Surprisingly, the Crossed don't make much of an appearance but this doesn't detract from the story. Some very bleak and dark moments. Good Stuff. Better than the Walking Dead bore-fest.

The Wicked + The Divine v1: The Faust Act - 3.5/5 Decent start (and has a character from Exeter!) but I need to see where it goes to be fully enthusiastic about this.

Before the Incal 4/5 - Nearly scraped a 4.5/5, but the last volume was weaker than the others, and the artist often seemed like a lesser imitation of Moebius. Still very good though.

Faith v1: Hollywood and Vine 3.5/5 - Perfectly good, if unremarkable superhero stuff. The art is quite nice - and a bit reminiscent of Steve Dillon.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Metal Men - Full Metal Jacket (6/10)

This book compiles all 6 Metal Men chapters from DC's recent 'Legends Of Tomorrow' series.

This was a weird one as, although I did get a fair amount of enjoyment out of it, I'm not sure that I did so in the manner that was intended.

Although this series focuses on the New 52 versions of the Metal Men (with their slight differences such as Will Magnus being depicted as much younger) this just felt so old-school. It was written by Len Wein, a writer whose work I've not picked up in at least 15 years. Either his style is extremely dated now or he deliberately set out to capture the spirit of the earlier Metal Men runs. The plotting and dialogue across the board here are lifted straight out of a title from the 1970's or 80's. It feels so old fashioned but, hey, it worked for me. It took me back to the older Metal Men runs that I read as a kid and brought a little nostalgia for those old series to me.

As I said, I'm not sure if that was the writers intent. If all comic-books were scripted this way then I'd lose interest in the medium but in this particular case it worked for me. Nothing spectacular but pleasing in a retro way.

Extraordinary Member

The Amazing Spider-Man #6 - So fun! I love silver age webhead.

Sex Criminals v1: One Weird Trick 4/5 - I don't generally like Fraction, but this was funny. Good stuff - though I'm not fond of the art.

Kill or be Killed v1 4/5 - Ed Bubaker and Sean Phillips' take on The Shadow. Good stuff so far. Nice reveal right at the end.

Trees v1: In Shadow 4/5 - I didn't like the art much, but Ellis is on good form here. I'm interested to see where it goes.

Convergence 3/5 - I really wanted to like this more. I love stories with alternate versions of the same characters, but this was lacking anything to hold my interest. The art was pretty good though.

Squadron Supreme: Power to the People 3.5/5
    Squadron Supreme: Bright Shining Lies 2.5/5 - Chaykin's run on the universe which starts bring Marvel analogues into the mix starts off reasonably well. The ending is a complete deus ex machina though. It's a shame that the series dropped so much in quality because the JSM/Gary Frank Supreme Power run was great.
    Saga v7 4/5 - Almost 4/5/5, but I docked a little for being such a quick read.
    Black Magick v1: Awakening 3/5 - A bit of a weak insubstantial one for Rucka. He's usually better than this.
    The Strange Talent of Luther Strode 3.5/5 - This was fun and inconsequential. A little like Kick-Ass in tone.
    Nameless maybe 2.5/5 - Hard to say because I've no idea what happened. I know some people like Morrison's puzzle books that you've got to read over and over to understand, but I prefer to just have to read something once. Chris Burnham's art is good, but so Quitely-esque that it borders on plagiarism.