Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031
    Spectacular Member

So I read Lovecraft by Culbard and it's really a great book. I was not immediately as hooked as I had expected but during the first story it grew on me and from the second story it started to get really good. Mountains of Madness was probably my favourite. The book is very nicely made as well. Good binding and it comes with a bookmark ribbon. Highly recommended, well worth the money (currently 23 dollars at Amazon for the hardcover).

Started The Wicked and the Divine Deluxe Vol 1. Haven't read much so far but what I have read was intriguing.

Spectacular Member

Finished The Wicked and the Divine Deluxe Vol 1 yesterday. Had a lot of fun and am very curious to see where this goes. Immediately started to read Volume 2.

Savage Sword of Conan #4

Duggan continues to channel the 1970s feel in an unabashed way. The result is kind of a good story but there is just not enough story development packed into each issue to really be satisfying. Its weird to say, but I think this Conan comic could use a little less ... Conan. We need to have more time focused on the characters and settings around him and less on his own musings and actions every issue. There are two ways to handle Conan stories - one where he goes on a mental or physical journey and another where he acts as a kind of hammer of retribution. We haven't had enough of the latter in this series.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Spectacular Member

In the meantime, I have finished all three deluxe editions released so far of The Wicked and the Divine. The premise of the gods being reborn every 90 years is intriguing. The execution is far from perfect as it starts out quite confusing but as it goes on, it becomes clearer. Also, it would have been nice to learn more about the individual gods' prior incarnations to understand them better. As it is, the reader just has to accept everything at face value. Overall I liked the series and am very curious how it will all end but I'll probably have to wait quite a while for the last deluxe HC to come out.

After that, I read the Wonder Woman by George Perez Omnibus Volume 2, which was excellent as expected. Maybe not as strong as the first volume, possibly due to less focus on the Greek mythology. And of course the art, while generally good, could not live up to Perez' art in the first volume. This became especially apparent because Perez was still doing the covers. I really like how grown-up his stories feel. WW faces all kinds of prejudice and sexism and this is handled a bit heavy-handedly at the start but improves a lot later on. The stories with the Cheetah and the other Amazon race were great. Also, during the first volume I had apparently become quite attached to the most important support characters (Professor Kapatelis and her daughter) and found their stories to be very engaging also in the second volume.

Following that, I took a break with Harrow County Library Edition volume 2. I felt that this flowed much better and really left me wanting to continue. But I'll have to wait until August. Again the same creepy atmosphere is created as in the first book, but the world seems to get bigger.

Now it's time for Wonder Woman by George Perez Omnibus Volume 3. So far, I have only read the first story which deals with suicide. I thought that this story was told very well and was quite engaging and moving. There wasn't even any superhero stuff in there, which served the story in my opinion. The way that Perez deals with such issues seems very grown up for a comic book, especially one that's 30 years old. Without having finished this last omnibus, I would definitely recommend this run to anyone.