Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

In the meantime, I've finished Black Hammer Library Edition Volume 1 and it was great!. I thought it meandered a bit while reading but in the end it suddenly starts moving more quickly and comes together, which was great. Of course right at the moment when you feel that it's going to take off, I'm left hanging with no Library Edition volume 2 announced yet.

After that, I've read The Sandman Omnibus Volume 1. WOW! Why did I wait so long to start reading this? I guess I was a bit intimidated with all the praise for its literary and other references. While I'm educated I was afraid that I wouldn't "get" it.

To anyone who has the same concerns: don't worry and dive right in! The series is engaging and entertaining in its own right. Even though I know that I did not catch all the references (probably the majority), I really enjoyed the book. Now I'm already 300 pages into the second omnibus and immensely enjoying it.

Big catch-up:

Prez v1: Corndog-in-Chief 4/5 - I really enjoyed this. Really fast paced and jam packed full of well observed jokes.

Zenith Phase Four 4/5 - Steve Yeowell is a great artist, but the coloring (by someone else) is a bit pedestrian. The story is mostly good, though I find the ending skirts a bit too close to deus ex machina for my tastes - and renders most of the story pointless. Still it's good and wraps up the story nicely. Interestingly, thought the art in the story set years later is credited to Steve Yeowell, it really looks like Mark Buckingham's art. I'm not sure if Yeowell's art style changed, or Buckingham did the inking or what.

Five Ghosts: The Hauting of Fabien Gray 2.5/5 and v2: Lost Coastlines 2/5/5 - This is a fun idea, but it really didn't do anything for me. The art was nice though. Kind of like Klaus Janson, but with better anatomy.

The Shadow v1: The Fire of Creation 3/5 - Garth Ennis in full serious war comic mode for this one. It was okay, but I think I'd have preferred something more fun and hokey.

Superman Unchained 3/5 - I continue to be underwhelmed by Scott Snyder (with the exception of Black Mirror). It was okay, but not for me. I don't care for Jim Lee's art either.

Then I went on holiday for 3.5 weeks - and I always take some old classics for holidays, so these are all rereads:

JLA: Ultramarine Corps (just the main story) 3.5/5 - There are some good ideas in here, but the pacing seems all over the place.

Seven Soldiers of Victory v1-4 4/5 - This time round it all fitted together a lot better for me. Some of the stories were great, some, not so good. Frankenstein is probably the highlight. I still needed to Google to find out what happened in that final issue, and even with the explanations, I wonder how people managed to get all of that from the comic. It does make the whole rather unsatisfying. And I'm fairly convinced that The Manhattan Guardian did nothing to contribute to defeating the Sheeda, but is apparantly one of the 7, whereas Spyder was incredibly important, but wasn't one of the 7.

The Ultimates v1-2 and The Ultimates 2 v1-2 4/5 - I still love this. Millar just completely throws away the standard rules about Superhero comics and writes something that still feels way more modern than the superhero comics coming out now. Excellent stuff.

Watchmen 5/5 - Still a classic. I still think that the Black Freighter stuff distracts from the main storyline and adds nothing to it (despite being a decent story in its own right), but other than that, Moore and Gibbons are both at the height of their power here. It's great.

Amazing Spider-Man (current series) #15

Nick Spencer is doing great work on this title, and OMG that wonderful Chris Bachalo artwork! I love the new, improved, kick-ass Aunt May so much.

Ratings (ratings!): 4 Great Responsibilities out of 5

Incredible Member

Finished Sandman Omnibus 1 and 2. This is really in a class of its own. Cannot praise it enough. Just wow!

Incredible Member

Read through Harrow County Library Edition 3 in about an hour last night. It's getting better and better - so far my favourite of the series. Can't wait for volume 4.

Batman #77 - High point was seeing Gotham Girl get pwned by Damian with a magic wand. Low point, well ... "snap" should suffice for those who have read it.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Low point, well ... "snap" should suffice for those who have read it.
    Thanos managed to reach into the DC Universe?

Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #2

As soon as this was announced, with the creative team of Matt Fraction and Steve Lieber, I knew damn well DC Comics would be shutting up and taking my money if they knew what was good for them. Apparently they do, because this book so far is even more ridiculously wonderful fun than I expected.

Ratings (ratings!): 5 Supermans rescuing kitties from trees out of 5

Incredible Member

As part of my Hickman Marvel read-a-thon, I just finished the Secret Warriors Omnibus. That was really good, especially if you like stories featuring Hydra. You can also see where the Agents of Shield TV show took its cues from.

Hickman really knows how to write a long story broken down into several arcs. Tonight I will continue with the SHIELD Human Machine and SHIELD Architects of Forever OHCs before diving into his Fantastic Four run.

Superman #14 by Brian Michael Bendis and Ivan Reis

This one started out a bit rough, with a very hard to follow fight scene for several pages. It pulled itself together in the second half, though, culminating in something HUGE that I won't even hint at because the comic has only been out for a day and I want to give people time to read the damn thing. I will say, though, that there was one part where I had to put my tablet down and just take a minute to collect myself.

I'm really digging Ivan Reis' art on this book, for the most part. His action sequences can be a bit hard to follow at times, but he's about the best there is right now at drawing a double page spread of like fifty characters where each one looks completely different. His actual drawing ability is amazing, and the art is wonderful to look at. He just needs to focus on the storytelling a bit more in places.

Ratings (ratings!): I wanted to give it higher because of the sheer blew-me-away factor of the last few pages, but due to the aforementioned problems with the first half of the book, I'm going to make it 3.5 Last Kryptonians out of 5.

Incredible Member

So I read the SHIELD Human Machine and SHIELD Architects of Forever OHCs and I'm impressed. While the stories may not be as super-tightly structured and tying everything together as his Secret Warriors Omnibus, I find the concept of historical figures as (a kind of) superheroes and the world building fascinating. That series could have gone on forever (bad pun intended) as far as I'm concerned.

If I find some time tonight, I will start reading Hickman's Fantastic Four Omnibus Volume 1. About time that the whales on the shelf are being read

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Cave Carson Has An Interstellar Eye

I have no idea what's going on in this book half the time, but man it's pretty to look at.

Ratings (ratings!): 3 revamped obscure DC characters out of 5

All-New Member

Batman: Last Knight on Earth #1 #4/5

Incredible Member

Since my last post I read Hickman's Fantastic Four Omnibus 1 and 2 and they were great!

There are some long story-arcs in there that flow perfectly. There was also a series of shorter stories that were sometimes humorous and all served to establish the family themes in the book. The book has been praised for its focus on family and that praise is deserved.

I also read Hickman's Ultimate Thor, which provides some nice character background, as well as his Ultimates 1 and Ultimate Hawkeye. Will finish Ultimates 2 tonight and after that it's time for his Avengers run

Incredible Member

Hickman read-a-thon update:

I finished the second Ultimates HC and the first Avengers Omnibus. I liked the concepts in his Ultimates run and would have actually liked to continue in that Universe to see what would come next.

Starting the Avengers omnibus, while I enjoyed it quite a lot due to the epic scope and imaginative story-telling I was also a bit confused at first as it seems to jump around a lot. But as Hickman is good in long-form story-telling, I just trusted that he would connect the dots later on. A good chunk into the second omnibus at the moment and I can confirm that is indeed the case.

To be fair, I read more than half of the first omnibus on some weeknights when I was really tired. I sometimes need to go back a couple of pages the next day because I couldn't remember where I left off. When I started reading during the day on the weekend (i.e. when I was awake ), I enjoyed it a lot more. And from shortly before the start of Infinity, I couldn't put it down anymore.

Now into the second omnibus and there's really a sense of urgency for our heroes. Good stuff.