Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Ok, so the Injustice Omnibus was really great. I had not expected it to be so good to be honest. The story is great, the art is mostly very good and I would really recommend this if you have even a basic interest in DC.

After that, I continued my Claremont X-Men reading. It's been a while since I finished the UXM Omnibus 3 (2017 I think) and I had been hoping for another omnibus to come out. But since it hasn't even been announced, I used my backup: to bridge the gap until the Mutant Massacre omnibus, I have UXM Masterworks volume 10, The Gift Epic Collection and the Ghosts TPB. Finished UXM Masterworks 10 and it was really great to revisit my favourite team Will continue tonight with The Gift Epic Collection and thereafter I will probably start with that alternating plan I had.

I just read Batman The White Knight. My friend let me borrow the As well as the first six issues of Curse of The White Knight. I really love White Knight. It was a great read, the most fun I have had reading a Batman Comic in a long time. I couldnt out them down. I give them a 4.5 out of 5.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member

Finished X-Men The Gift Epic Collection. Really a drop from the material that came before in MMW 10. Especially the first half, in the second half it got somewhat back on track. The Nightcrawler story was a bit too silly for me though. Now continuing with X-Men Ghosts TPB and there's an immediate improvement again. The trial of Magneto was great.

Last Knight on Earth #3.

Bleh. 3 out of 10. WTH Snyder.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Big big catchup...

Martian Manhunter v1: The Epiphany 4/5 and v2: The Red Rising 3.5/5 - There's a lot to really like here, but it never quite hit it. Still decent. The art ranged from excellent to bad depending on the inker.

The Mighty 4/5 - Enjoyable bad superhero story. Tame compared with the likes of The Boys, but still enjoyable.

Sandcastle 2.5/5 - Interesting premise about a group of people on a beach who start ageing for no apparent reason and can't escape. A bit too arty farty for my tastes.

The Discipline v1: The Seduction - Not bad by any stretch, but it's been quite a few years since Peter Milligan has blown me away.

Charlatan Ball v1 2/5 - Joe Casey is always a writer who I look out for, but this really missed for me. It tries to be wacky and funny, but the writing is so dense that it ruins any comic timing. In the end I gave up halfway through.

99 Days 3/5 - Story about a cop who'd previously been a child soldier in Africa. This could be refined into something much better, but it all felt a bit amateurish.

The Flash v1: Lightning Strikes Twice 3/5 - Decent. Forgettable.

The Groo Adventurer 4/5 - Groo still stands up!

Batman: Noel 3/5 - Lovely Lee Bermejo art in this Batman meets A Christmas Carol story. The story was decent, but not special.

Asterix and the Chieftain's Daughter 3/5 - Decent enough, but nothing like as good as the Goscinny ones.

The Bojeffries Saga 3/5 - This is a mixed bag. There's some great stuff in here and some stuff which doesn't work at all for me. Steve Parkhouse's art is always a joy though.

Low v1: The Delerium of Hope 3.5/5 and v2: Before the Dawn Burns Us 3/5 - Decent enough sci-fi stuff. Lovely art, though the nudity is some of the most gratuitous and out of place I've seen in years.

Black Summer 4.5/5 - Warren Ellis in full "I hate superheroes" mode and Juan Jose Ryp in full bloody gory. This story is a great ride. I really enjoyed it.

Astonishing Member

Fear Agent 1-3

Quite good, but still not moving me in any way.

Alpha Flight vol. 1 issue 11

The series is all over the place, but its fun to read John Byrne in his prime

Thor #2

7.5/10

Incredible Member

Finished X-Men Ghosts TPB and it definitely picked up again. Have the Mutant Massacre omnibus lined up next. Actually from here on out, X-Men is collected almost entirely in oversized hardcovers until almost Onslaught, Looking forward to that.

Before taking Mutant Massacre out of the shrink wrap, I read Cullen Bunn's Dark Ark, in a really neat OHC from Aftershock comics. That was a really different story, very creative with great art. Maybe didn't manage to connect emotionally as well as his Harrow County, but I definitely want to read more of this world.

I rarely do this but I am going to give a bad review for a comic. Wanting to read up on Wolverine Black Cat teams ups to get ready for this months Black Cat I decided to read Claws. It was a struggle to make it through all three issues. I didnt like the art at all and the story was rushed and pointless. I give this a 2/5. And it only got the 2 because some of the humor was alright for me.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I just binged Rosenberg's Uncanny X-Men #'s 1-22 and was... pleasantly surprised? Prior to, I'd read his Multiple Man, New Mutants, and Phoenix: Resurrection mini series - all of which I found offensively bad. However this worked for me. Maybe because I knew it was a temporary place holder book until Hickman's big relaunch, and could roll with it as a fun (albeit long) fill-in arc. The 90's nostalgia is strong, but in a way that made sense in context. While not in my Top 10 X-Men runs by any means, I'll be holding on to it for a reread sometime in the future.

3/5
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

So I read the X-Men Mutant Massacre Omnibus and it was great. The story was well-told across several titles. Especially X-Men and X-Factor stories were tightly interlocking, which was great. Apparently the different creators spoke to each other about how the story should unfold.

In typical Claremont fashion, several plot threads were left hanging which I am sure he will pick up later. That guy really played the long game. I am now at issue 219 and I think Claremont's original run lasts until 280. Still some famous stories to go that I've never read (Fall of the Mutants, Inferno and the Jim Lee issues). But it is already obvious why his run is so famous and beloved. The characters all have their own voice and the stories are often structured like a soap opera so you want to come back for more.

Will definitely keep on pushing through with this alternating a Claremont X-Men book with other books.

Astonishing Member

Kill Lock 2 from IDW :

A fantastic new series. Sci-Fi with great moody art, a compelling story (a team of different characters are linked together and are on a quest to free themselves. If one dies, everyone dies). Every character has its own voice. Two issues in and you already know the characters, great writing.

TMNT 101: Never a weak issue with the Turtles, even this one after the big 100 wasn't a let down. Most consistent title on the stands.

Oblivion Song 23: Now it gets really interesting (not that it wasn't before). Kirkman at his best.

Incredible Member

Read the first Locke & Key Master Edition and am halfway through the second. Unfortunately I'll be traveling for work the rest of the week so I can only continue to read on Sunday.

So far, it is very entertaining

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Read the first Locke & Key Master Edition and am halfway through the second. Unfortunately I'll be traveling for work the rest of the week so I can only continue to read on Sunday.

So far, it is very entertaining
    Really, one of the best stories. And the shadowy figures are spooky as hell....

Incredible Member

Since my last post I finished the three master editions of Locke & Key and I really enjoyed them. The story was great, even moving at times. At the start of the second volume I had the feeling that the story slowed down but it picked up again quickly and then I couldn't put it down anymore.

After that, I read Geoff Johns' Absolute Justice League Origins with spectacular art by Jim Lee. Entertaining but not as great as Johns' Aquaman run from the same time. One of the volumes (Throne of Atlantis) is absolutely stellar but I see it more as part of the Aquaman run. Now on to the next HC (volume 4: the Grid). So far entertaining but nothing special. Apparently I have to wait until I get to Forever Evil before it gets great again. Going to finish the run and conclude with the Darkseid War Omnibus.