Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Ok so I read the rest of the New 52 Justice League run. It got better towards the end. Forever Evil was cool and then the Darkseid War Saga Omnibus was really awesome. It was as if Johns had been holding back the entire run to end with a bang. There was also a lot of great art in the omnibus, most notably by Francis Manapul whose art I had never seen before. Jason Fabok was great too, as well as the other artists who filled in on some issues. I have to say this omnibus took me completely by surprise.

I followed up on that with the two deluxe editions of Paper Girls and that was great too. Not as great as Saga but that's a tall order. Felt that the characters were a little more flat in Paper Girls when compared to Saga. Really enjoyed it but have to wait for the third deluxe to finish the run.

Now reading the Punisher Max by Garth Ennis Omnibus volume 1. I'm probably one of 5 persons on the planet who had not read that yet. It's very very good and I like that it is a mature run. Marvel should do more of these Max runs.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Batman Beyond Vol. 3 (Rebirth) - The Long Payback

There was a thread somewhere on this board recently about series that you collected but often neglected, leaving unread for long stretches of time. My contribution was Dan Jurgens' run on Batman Beyond so I've decided to at least partly catch up on some of it.

It's not bad. It won't win any awards but was entertaining enough. I did like seeing characters like Payback and Freon of the Terrific Trio make a bit of a comeback. I like Barnard Chang's artwork too, although he only penned one issue here.

6/10
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Incredible Member

Finished the Punisher Max run by Ennis with the second omnibus. Great great run. Really helps that there are no superheroes in this run, that's also why I prefer it to his Marvel Knights run.

Afterwards I read the Witcher Library Edition but it didn't do much for me. Like the start of the Netflix show, the stories were disjointed and jumped all over the timeline without any explanation to fill in the gaps. Art was ok but nothing special.

Continued my Claremont read-a-thon with the Fall of the Mutants OHC. The X-Factor and Uncanny X-Men issues were ok but the New Mutants issues were just a drag. Only skimmed through them. After X-Factor dealing with Apocalypse and UXM saving the world, the NM bird boy story really felt like several steps down both in drama and in quality.

Yesterday I started Jason Aaron's Scalped and I've just begun the second Deluxe Edition. So I'm about 14 or 14 issues in. This is really awesome, I hope it stays as good through the entire run.

Incredible Member

On Scalped Volume 3 now and I can't believe how good this series is. Think Sopranos but set on a Reservation.

This will be finished before the end of the week, going through about 12 issues each night.

Outlawed. 0/10. Very boring.

Incredible Member

Now on Scalped Volume 4. It just keeps going and going without any signs of slowing doen or diminishing quality. Amazing!

Secret Wars #4 (the Hickman series)

This is the one where Doom finally sees that Reed Richards and others survived the worlds ending, Dr. Strange helps them escape his wrath and gets killed as a result. Brilliant stuff, this was the issue that was the turning point in the series for me that made me stick it out.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Secret Wars #4 (the Hickman series)

This is the one where Doom finally sees that Reed Richards and others survived the worlds ending, Dr. Strange helps them escape his wrath and gets killed as a result. Brilliant stuff, this was the issue that was the turning point in the series for me that made me stick it out.
    Secret Wars was cool, I really enjoyed that. Read it as part of my Hickman read-a-thon.

Incredible Member

Ok I rarely ever rate comic book runs but I do make exceptions when a run is, well, exceptional

I finished Scalped yesterday and I have to say that this is the best thing I have read in quite a while. I would rate it 9.5/10, same as I believe I rated Preacher. While I personally gravitate a bit more towards Preacher because of the insane ideas and supernatural elements, I think Scalped may be even slightly more consistent in its quality. Everybody with at least a slight interest in crime / noir should read this and especially everybody who has it on their shelf unread should make this a priority.

As I always try to mix it up between genres, publishers and old/new material, I will now read some superhero stuff again Have now started reading Thor: God of Thunder OHC 1, also by Jason Aaron and it's also great. Guy sure can write (previously I had only read his Star Wars run.

Given the sad news we got today that Juan Gimenez (of Metabarons fame, absolutely fantastic artist) died of the Corona-virus, I may break up the Thor run and read Gimenez' Fourth Power GN from Humanoids in between.

Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

Moon Knight volume 2 issue 3 september 1985. It is a solid issue although how it does suffer from the same problem that a lot of superhero stories involving illusions that being that the people continue to get tricked even after realizing that the illusions are not real.

Also I am not a big fan of the volume 3 Moon Knight redesign.

Incredible Member

Thor God of Thunder OHC 1 + 2 (issues 1-25): very good I see why it is so praised.

Also read Original Sin OHC and that was quite a good murder mystery but not on par with Aaron's Thor work.

Will continue with the Thor run tonight.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Thor God of Thunder OHC 1 + 2 (issues 1-25): very good I see why it is so praised.

Also read Original Sin OHC and that was quite a good murder mystery but not on par with Aaron's Thor work.

Will continue with the Thor run tonight.
    Finally I might try Aaron's Thor because you also love PunisherMAX and Scalped. Have you read Ed Brubaker,yet?

Astonishing Member

The Kill Lock 4 from IDW

Damn, another great issue. It will be excruciating to wait for the final.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Finally I might try Aaron's Thor because you also love PunisherMAX and Scalped. Have you read Ed Brubaker,yet?
    Thanks for this vote of confidence Hope you'll not be disappointed then

I have indeed read some Brubaker: his complete Captain America run, Criminal Deluxes 1 and 2, some of his X-Men stories (those included in the War of Kings Omnis). I'm a big fan of his writing, I have all his other crime stories lined up on the shelf. He's one of those writers where I can just sit down and have faith that I will be entertained. Really looking forward to reading Gotham Central.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Thanks for this vote of confidence Hope you'll not be disappointed then

I have indeed read some Brubaker: his complete Captain America run, Criminal Deluxes 1 and 2, some of his X-Men stories (those included in the War of Kings Omnis). I'm a big fan of his writing, I have all his other crime stories lined up on the shelf. He's one of those writers where I can just sit down and have faith that I will be entertained. Really looking forward to reading Gotham Central.
    You will love it