Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

I've been reading DC's series L.E.G.I.O.N. '89.
    I saw it on the shelves way back then but only just now got around to it. After 30 years it holds up great. The story is paced well and the characters are fun without being goofy. So far, I give it a 4 out of 5.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member

The last comic book i read was Asterix and Cleopatra in a hardcover edition.I am slowly making a complete collection of all the Asterix books,have read several of the volumes when i was a kid and recently i started to make a collection.
    The main story is thrilling and is quite impressive the amount of funny moments the story have as well besides the main plot.
    And the art is sensational.
    I rate it 5/5.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Thor God of Thunder OHC 1 + 2 (issues 1-25): very good I see why it is so praised.

Also read Original Sin OHC and that was quite a good murder mystery but not on par with Aaron's Thor work.

Will continue with the Thor run tonight.
    Ok, I finished the Thor run up to the end of the third Aaron / Dauterman OHC. I also read the TPBs (Battleworld: Thors and Unworthy Thor). I think I like the Lady Thor series even better than the first 25 issues. Having someone else being Thor for a while was a stroke of genius. Her story was very engaging and had a lot of great elements, including the history of Mjolnir.

After that I finished The Wicked + The Divine with the last OHC that came out recently and while the ending was slightly underwhelming, I thought the series as a whole was very enjoyable.

Then I read Absolute V for Vendetta and while I expected it to be good, I had no idea how great it is. This is how comics should be written. Very tight plotting by Moore and the art was great too.

Now on to Fear Agent

Astonishing Member

WildC.A.T.S. (Vol.1)#0
    Now this issue is peculiar to rate because it´s a Zero issue.
    So the story seems more to be somethink akin to estabilishing the main plot and the main characters of the first Wildcats stories that a story that works in it´s own,
    Even so the art is interesting and does have good aspects like the characters design and in the action scenes but the storytelling is a tad choppy in parts in the art.
    I rate it 2.5/5.

Astonishing Member

WildC.A.T.S. (Vol.1)#1 3.5/5.
    WildC.A.T.S. (Vol.1)#2 3/5
    WildC.A.T.S. (Vol.1)#3 3.5/5
    WildC.A.T.S. (Vol.1)#4 3.5/5
    The art through those four stories is just great,Jim Lee art is outstanding.
    The story is confusing,i think there were just to many plots at the same time,and the characterisation could be way better.There are characters with almost no characterisation at all.

Asterix and the Big Fight. 5/5
    Another maximum rate for a Asterix story from me.
    A story that is just contained in the village of the characters but even so quite enjoyable and quite funny.
    The art is perfect for the story so that is another reason to give it 5/5.

All-New Member

Castle Waiting Vol. 2 - 4/5

Extraordinary Member

Meet the Skrulls, 4/5
    Silver Surfer Black, 2/5

Spectacular Member randomideaguy's Avatar

I've been reading through the OG Birds of Prey run (pre-Gail Simone, that's next on the docket). It's actually really good! My fav arc has probably been Black Canary and a few others being press-ganged into going to Ape City and obtaining a heart donor for Blockbuster.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Ok, I finished the Thor run up to the end of the third Aaron / Dauterman OHC. I also read the TPBs (Battleworld: Thors and Unworthy Thor). I think I like the Lady Thor series even better than the first 25 issues. Having someone else being Thor for a while was a stroke of genius. Her story was very engaging and had a lot of great elements, including the history of Mjolnir.

After that I finished The Wicked + The Divine with the last OHC that came out recently and while the ending was slightly underwhelming, I thought the series as a whole was very enjoyable.

Then I read Absolute V for Vendetta and while I expected it to be good, I had no idea how great it is. This is how comics should be written. Very tight plotting by Moore and the art was great too.

Now on to Fear Agent

Since my last post I have read the following:

Fear Agent Library Editions 1 and 2: excellent! At the beginning, I thought ok this is fun but why is this so very highly praised generally but by the end, it was amazing how Remender manages to connect all the threads in the end with an emotional pay-off.

Captain America by Mark Waid Omnibus: entertaining, but in my opinion nowhere near as good as Brubaker's run (which is the only other Cap run I have read). A lot of Cap's dialogue (or inner monologue) to me didn't sound right for how I picture Cap, i.e. too cocky and quippy, maybe even too jaded (modern?) especially given that he is supposed to be a man from a different time.

Absolute Daytripper: This was a very moving story with nice art. Not necessarily needing Absolute-size treatment but the story deserves it. This book made me stop to think about my life and what is important in it, which I do not usually expect from a comic book.

Inferno Prologue OHC: I assume that these issues can be considered "filler" between the Fall of the Mutants event and the Inferno event that's coming up next. Overall enjoyable, definite highlight for me were the Genosha issues of Uncanny X-Men. I had seen Genosha mentioned so often but never read the actual story so that was great. While I enjoyed UXM the most, I also enjoyed X-Factor. New Mutants was good whenever it focused on Ilyana, the rest of the characters do not really interest me much. The issues were not as bad as the New Mutants issues in the Fall of the Mutants collection, but again they were the weakest part. What I still find amazing is the long game that Claremont was playing with little seeds dropped years ago that suddenly become relevant to the story. Looking forward to continuing this run.

These Savage Shores TPB: In one word: perfect! This one has it all: great story, great art and tight plotting. Not a single panel is wasted and it's amazing what can be done within 5 issues.

Deadly Class Library Editions 1 and 2:I did not really know what to expect other than the story being set at a school for assassins in the 1980s. Did not have high expectations going in but ended up reading about 30 issues in two days. Great series and I cannot wait to see how it ends. I cannot exactly pinpoint what it is about Remender's writing that so appeals to me but I find his characters to be very relatable (if not likable, mind you). I find his writing to be very engaging and enjoyed everything I've read so far from him.

Astonishing Member

Amazing Spider-Man#11.(#812) 3.5/5.
    Amazing Spider-Man#12(#813) 3.5/5.
    Amazing Spider-Man#13(#814) 3/5.
    Avengers#8(#698) 4/5.
    Avengers#9(#699) 4/5.
    Last edited by comicscollector; 05-20-2020 at 02:59 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Creature of the Night- Kurt Busiek
    Secret Identity- Kurt Busiek

Astonishing Member

Conan Serpent War#0(This comic book reprints Supernatural Thrillers#3).4/5.
    I rate it 4 mostly because of the Gil Kane art,the story was subpar to what i read in other Conan comic books.

Incredible Member

In the last two weeks I've read the following:

Ex Machina Omnibus by Brian K Vaughan. This was great overall. However, I think that some of the plots towards the end could have been trimmed and the room used to explain what happened during the time jump at the end. The ending felt rushed, a bit unearned and out of character. Would still definitely recommend this.

The Fade Out Deluxe Edition by Brubaker/Philips. Perfect! You cannot really go wrong with this creative team but this was such a stand-out - I think I like it even more than Criminal. The plotting is tight, the artwork is great as usual and the colours by Elizabeth Breitweiser are fantastic and give it a real cinematic feel.

Sentient TPB by Jeff Lemire. Great 6-issue story that shows how much a good writer can make you care for characters in auch a short time. This is one of the TKO TPBs, which to my surprise are oversized!

X-Men Inferno OHC. Not bad as an event but I actually cared more about Mr Sinister and the repercussions of his actions for the Summers / Grey families than about the whole demons storyline. As before, X-Men was the best, followed by X-Factor and New Mutants was again the weakest. This means that I have reached the first Claremont / Lee omnibus now and am slowly going towards the end of the Claremont run.

Long John Silver by Xavier Dorison and Mathieu Lauffrey. The original is in French and available in beautiful album-sized hardcovers. Unfortunately in English there is only TPBs. I managed to find a German Hardcover that is absolute-sized and very nice quality. Great pirate adventure story with beautiful art.

Absolute Dark Victory. It's been 2 or 3 years since I've read Long Halloween, which I really enjoyed. I think I like Dark Victory even more but since the last read is so long ago, I'm not 100% sure Great story and art, but terrible binding on this Absolute.

Absolute Haunted Knight. Another good read from Loeb and Sale, but not as great as LH or DV. Still enjoyable enough.

Sara TPB by Garth Ennis, Steve Epting and Elizabeth Breitweiser. What could go wrong with such a team? Great story with amazing art and colours (same colourist as on The Fade Out mentioned above) in the TKO oversized TPB format. I really like this format and have bought additional TKO TPBs.
    Last edited by Foxy; 05-25-2020 at 07:44 AM.

Secret Six #7 and Anthro # 3. There is a thrift store near me selling a bunch of Silver Age stuff cheap and I am getting my comic fix each week there.

SS#7 - Pretty good, I liked it. These are characters I'm not really that familiar with, and I guess this was the very last issue of the run. They are kind of like a spy group who have a mysterious leader. The Frank Springer art is the real standout here, along with the super vibrant colors. That old newsprint really took color well.

Anthro #3 - Another character I'm not that familiar with. Howie Post writes, pencils and inks these comics. The writing is good, the art so-so I felt except for the cover which obviously was more carefully crafted. This was a wild issue with all kinds of things happening, way before story decompression was even a twinkle in Bendis' eye. Great stuff.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Spider-Man 700. I think that was the number. Regardless, it put me off comic books ever since