Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

In the last week, I have read the following:

X-Men by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee Omnibus 1. I enjoyed this quite a lot, more than I had expected. Maybe because I had quite low expectations going in after reading some reviews. Of the two X-Men omnis by Claremont & Lee, this one is the less beloved one apparently and I can see why people would think that. The team is scattered all over and the stories focus on their individual woes. It was quite interesting to see how the individual team members would deal with the multiple issues they were facing.

There are actually not many issues in here drawn by Jim Lee, but when you get to them, you instantly know. I understand now why he became such a star in the day. Marc Silvestri was the main artist at the time and his art was quite good but Jim Lee takes it to a different level. Now his style is of course well-known but it must have been super fresh at the time it first came out.

X-Men Extinction Agenda OHC. It was great to finally see some team action again and this was a very nice "event", I actually preferred it to Inferno. It was more tightly plotted and not meandering as much. Also the stakes seemed higher as this was about characters we care for instead of Manhattan turning into a demon world. The personal stories are often more interesting I find.

Injection by Warren Ellis Deluxe Edition. Typical Ellis, throwing you into a story with a ton of stuff goin on and you just have to trust him that everything will click into place eventually - which it started to do later in the book. Interesting characters, a mysterious story and Ellis'. quippy writing - count me in. Unfortunately, the moment it really kicks into high gear the book is over and as fas as I understand, there's currently no visibility whether more will be coming.

Started on the second Claremont & Lee omnibus last night. This book contains the final issues written by Claremont (at least for his most well-loved run, apparently his later runs weren't as good) and I am a bit sad as he really took the characters through so many amazing arcs. I think I am partial to X-Men mostly because of the team dynamics, which I always found more appealing than what I have read of the Avengers for example. Also, the X-Men movie in 2000 was the first modern super-hero movie I saw and it really made me interested in the X-Men more than other (Marvel) superheroes.

Incredible Member

Since my last post, I have read the following:

X-Men by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee Omnibus 2. This is where it's at. Finally team action again, twice as much Jim Lee art, Chris Claremont's last issues on the title, including the all-time best-selling comic book, X-Men #1. This is a great omnibus with the payoff for having to endure 20+ issues of X-Men without a proper team. Also the artwork changed so much - there is now so much more detail in each panel that the difference is quite striking. Even when compared to issues dran by others just a year before. It's more of a revolution than an evolution.

Really sad that the Claremont run is over. For me, his voice for the characters will always be the reference pint (like Simonson's Thor run). His long-term planning and story-telling is really a great accomplishment.

The last hardcover of Black Science finally came out last week, so before diving into that, I quickly re-read volumes 1 and 2 yesterday and what can I say, I found them to be as amazing as the first time that I've read them. Real page-turners. Can't wait to dive into volume 3 tonight. I hope Remender sticks the landing.
    Last edited by Foxy; 06-08-2020 at 02:58 AM.

Since the TV show has premiered, I have gone back and revisted Geoff Johns, Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E.

The series is a lot of fun and really captures what I love about comics. Even after all these years it still holds up well and I will give it an A.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Suicide Squad #50 (1991) is the perfect issue 50. Showcasing all the history so far, previous teams, bringing the threads together in a satisfying way. Accomplishes what 99% of other writers didn't after Ostrander left.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Since my last post, I have read the following:

X-Men by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee Omnibus 2. This is where it's at. Finally team action again, twice as much Jim Lee art, Chris Claremont's last issues on the title, including the all-time best-selling comic book, X-Men #1. This is a great omnibus with the payoff for having to endure 20+ issues of X-Men without a proper team. Also the artwork changed so much - there is now so much more detail in each panel that the difference is quite striking. Even when compared to issues dran by others just a year before. It's more of a revolution than an evolution.

Really sad that the Claremont run is over. For me, his voice for the characters will always be the reference pint (like Simonson's Thor run). His long-term planning and story-telling is really a great accomplishment.

The last hardcover of Black Science finally came out last week, so before diving into that, I quickly re-read volumes 1 and 2 yesterday and what can I say, I found them to be as amazing as the first time that I've read them. Real page-turners. Can't wait to dive into volume 3 tonight. I hope Remender sticks the landing.
    So I read Black Science HC 3 last night to finish off the series. What can I say, Remender manages to hit me in the feels every time. It's an amazing series and speaks to me on so many levels personally. but in general it's also just a great, trippy sci-fi series with absolutely amazing art throughout.

Definitely recommended.

Aquaman (2003) #12 - Ugh. The Thirst arc was such a drag and the way they treated Black Manta's autism was just awful. I did like the designs of the River Sisters so there's that...

Rating : 1.5/5
    Last edited by Amacent; 06-10-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Astonishing Member

Basketful of Heads (DC Black Label) #7 (final issue), written by Joe Hill, art by LEOMACS and Dan McDaid. Rating: 5 / 5. A really fun mystery / supernatural series. Keeps you guessing until the end. Great character portrayals, too.

Incredible Member

Alright, The Boys by Garth Ennis. Fnished the last 3 issues of the series last night. Read all 6 TPB omnis since Wednesday, with two evenings of no reading. So actually a quick read.

Immensely enjoyed the series and despite (or maybe because of) all the warnings about shocking content, I wasn’t turned off by that. There is more going on underneath the surface than just the shock value that Ennis seems to be so fond of.

Actually, just like in Preacher, I think Ennis tries to deal with the trauma his characters experience in a considerate kind of way.
    For instance when the Vought guys want to give a female character a new origin reboot with a rape background story that’s supposed to somehow turn her more sexual, she calls that out for the bullshit that it is. Not sure whether this is a direct jab at Alan Moore’s Neonomicon but that’s what I had to think of.

Great series, which made me really care for some of the characters and I think for such a long series, I felt that there wasn’t any unnecessary material or meandering. Plus Ennis managed to stick the landing in my opinion.

Definitely recommended but be prepared for all kinds of over the top violence, sex, profanity, infanticide, bodily liquids etc. You get the idea.

After this 72-issue behemoth of a series, I wanted something quick and fun. I read Thanos Rising by Jason Aaron and while it was quick (only 5 issues), it wasn't as much fun as I had expected. Not bad, not great, just fine.

Not yet decided what the next read will be. Either continuing my X-Men readathon or maybe the Bronze Age Swamp Thing omnibus as I may go through my DC books chronologically. On the other hand, I also have readthroughs planned for the (modern) Valiant universe, the Hellboy/BPRD universe and the Marvel Ultimate Universe (although I have mainly Ultimates, Spider-Man and event books).
    Last edited by Foxy; 06-16-2020 at 06:50 AM.

Incredible Member

Ok, I literally tossed a coin to decide whether to do the Valiant or the Hellboy universe read-through, and Hellboy it is.

Just started yesterday evening with the first Hellboy Library Edition. I actually read the first two Library Editions like 3 years ago but I forgot most of it so now I'm starting again from the top.

Using this reading order: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/an...ng-order-2019/

Will post my thoughts here as I go along. If it becomes too much of the same, I will just take breaks with other stuff in between.

After finishing Ostrander's 66 issues of Suicide Squad I've started reading its (unofficial) sequels. Greg Rucka's Checkmate for Waller and Vertigo. Ostrander's Suicide Squad Raise The Flag mini. Villains United and Secret Six by Gail Simone for Deadshot. I've skipped Keith Giffen's Suicide Squad only because I don't own it.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Archie vs. Predator
    When I first heard about this mini-series years ago, my first thought was: "You gotta be kidding me!" My second thought was this was going to be an unholy train wreck right up there with Archie Meets The Punisher, then, out of curiosity, I bought it, and, much to my surprise....I liked it! The story by Alex de Campi was taut and brilliant, what with a juvenile Predator landing on Earth and stalking the gang from Costa Rica (attracted by a Betty and Veronica catfight) to Riverdale to do what it does best...KILL! And boy, there sure was a boatload of death here! While the art by Fernando Ruiz was in the classic Archie house style, he pulled absolutely no punches when it came to illustrating all the gore, bloodshed and destruction (including spinal cords being ripped out) that comes with a Predator on the hunt as the beastie decimated the gang, leading to quite a climax in Lodge Manor against Betty and Veronica. All things considered, AvP was well worth reading as it was, in it's own warped way....FUN!

Grade: 4 out of 5 stars
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 06-22-2020 at 02:16 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member

Hellboy universe read-a-thon (continued)

Hellboy Library Edition 1. This was a re-read but I enjoyed it as much as the first time (maybe even a bit more). It is quite amazing that the voice for the characters and the art were spot-on from the very beginning. Good that I read this again as I had forgotten quite some details.

Hellboy Library Edition 2. Also a re-read. This volume contains mainly short stories and I enjoyed it much more during the second read. I think during my first read I was impatient that the main story was not continued here.

Hellboy Library Edition 3. Wow! The Conqueror Worm, Third Wish and The Island were absolutely fantastic. It seems as here the book fully comes into its own. This is also due to the fact that Mignola dumped a LOT of history / background on the readers regarding Hellboy's origin. According to the afterword by Mignola, this was because of teh film coming out and Mignola wanted to make sure that his own version of Hellboy's history got out there as soon as possible. Apparently this "data dump" was not planned originally (or at least not as substantial).

Will continue tonight with the graphic novel Hellboy Into the Silent Sea, before diving into Library Edition 4 (after which BPRD Plague of Frogs awaits!)

Incredible Member

Hellboy Into the Silent Sea HC. This is the first Hellboy story I have read that was not drawn by Mike Mignola. The art was by Gary Gianni, who has also worked on Prince Valiant and it is absolutely gorgeous. The story is mysterious and a bit dream-like and I enjoyed it a lot. It is set after the events of The Island in Library Edition 3.

What is interesting is that at the very start of Hellboy, I was worried that the less detailed art style of Mignola was not conducive to the horror atmosphere the books should convey, especially if monsters aren't drawn in a very detailed manner. But now that I read the first story without Mignola's art, I really missed it. I think i have gotten used to it to an extent that I didn't expect.

I understand that going forward, many Hellboy stories (maybe the majority) will be drawn by other artists, so I have to get used to the thought.

On to Library Edition 4 (The Crooked Man and The Troll Witch, but actually there's quite a number of stories in there).

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

Hellboy Into the Silent Sea HC. This is the first Hellboy story I have read that was not drawn by Mike Mignola. The art was by Gary Gianni, who has also worked on Prince Valiant and it is absolutely gorgeous. The story is mysterious and a bit dream-like and I enjoyed it a lot. It is set after the events of The Island in Library Edition 3.

What is interesting is that at the very start of Hellboy, I was worried that the less detailed art style of Mignola was not conducive to the horror atmosphere the books should convey, especially if monsters aren't drawn in a very detailed manner. But now that I read the first story without Mignola's art, I really missed it. I think i have gotten used to it to an extent that I didn't expect.

I understand that going forward, many Hellboy stories (maybe the majority) will be drawn by other artists, so I have to get used to the thought.

On to Library Edition 4 (The Crooked Man and The Troll Witch, but actually there's quite a number of stories in there).
    I love the Crooked Man, this type of Lore in Hellboy comics. Witches especially. Gary Gianni also illustrated GRRM's A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms... I prefer it to A Song of Ice and Fire

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I love the Crooked Man, this type of Lore in Hellboy comics. Witches especially. Gary Gianni also illustrated GRRM's A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms... I prefer it to A Song of Ice and Fire
    I did really enjoy The Crooked Man but I have to say that I had to get used to the way he draws faces. The Crooked Man himself looked delightfully twisted, but maybe the effect would have been better if the regular people's faces had been more realistic. It didn't bother me as much as in the other story drawn by the same artist in the book ("Makoma").