Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Legenderry #3.
    I haven't finished reading it. Just had to take a break because of the art.

Sergio Fernandez Davila has talent, that's for sure... the faces, the backgrounds, the art is just beautiful.

But then... there's things llike-
    1. The scene with Magna having dinner with Captain Victory.
    In the establishing panel, Oscar Goldman is seated on her left and Steve Austin is on her right.
    In the next two panels when they're all shown again, they've swapped... with Goldman on her right and Austin on her left.
    And then in the rest of the panels, they've swapped back to their original seats.
    Just something that pulled me out of the story for a minute.

2. There's a rather gruesome splash page where a man in being ripped in half and his intestines are flying everywhere. Davila seems rather proud of this page because he signed it. It's almost like he's auditioning for DC's New52. And I don't know anyone who would be framing that page to display on a wall.
    Meanwhile, there's a couple scenes with shirtless men... and they have no nipples.
    Really? They have intestines, though, that's for sure...

I'll return to my comic now, but I'm going to have to give it a 2/5 now before something else happens that will bring it even lower because I do somewhat like the story. What little there is of it.
    I'm mostly reading for the setting now.

Update: After going back and finishing...
    Solid 2/5.

I think I've already figured out the plot twist that's sure to come... as I suspect that Magna is really Sonja and doesn't know it.
    The story, itself, seems to suffer from being a vehicle for the steampunk versions of the other characters to pop in, make a scene and then exit.
    While it's a nice novelty, it's going to grow old by the seventh issue.
    Especially when they're much more exciting than Magna, the one protagonist that remains constant.
    And each time one of the characters make a grand entrance and then disappear into the background, it feels like I'm riding in a car cross-country with someone who won't stop at any of the interesting spots we glimpse passing by... knowing I'll never be there again.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-13-2016 at 04:50 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Birthright #13: 4/5

Hitman v7: Closing Time - 4.5/5

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Daredevil #15 (Mark Waid Vol. 2) - 8/10 compared to other Waid/Samnee comics. 10/10 compared to comics in general.

Amazing Spider-Man (current volume) #5. 3.5/5

Eagle 104. 8.5 out of 10. An anthology "for children" published in the UK in the early 1980s so it's pretty toothless compared to contemporaries such as 2000ad or Action, as it features only 9 grisly deaths - six of which happen at the claws of an alien space monster in the "twee, inoffensive and old-fashioned" Dan Dare strip when an alien warlord makes Dan Dare watch as he throws Dan's crew into a pit and laughs as they're torn to pieces and eaten. One-Eyed Jack, a strip that is in no way just Dirty Harry with an eyepatch drawn onto him has to make do with a couple of line-of-duty shootings and a character being thrown out of a widow onto some spikes.

The artwork is amazing, and though relatively condensed compared to modern comics, the average strip flies past in no time. These weekly UK comics usually had some sort of theme linking all the stories, like sport, sci-fi, horror, or historical warfare, but Eagle seems to be a broader church, with stories about warzone reporters, jet-age space adventurers, high school comedy, rogue robots, body horror, for-legal-reasons-not-Rocky, for-legal-reasons-not-Dirty Harry, and sting-in-the-tale short stories. It leads to an occasionally-disjointed overall reading experience, but it's rarely less than entertaining.

Stray Bullets v6: Killers - Excellent 4.5/5 (I know that makes three times in a row with that score - but it's my Christmas haul so the quality will be higher than usual right now)

I hope they get around to releasing volume 5 at some point.

Action Comics v1: Superman and the Men of Steel 3/5. I LOVE the cover. The story started well, but over all the pacing seemed off. I'm only a few pages into volume 2, but it seems better already.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Batman Volume 5: Zero Year - Dark City (actually compiling both Dark City and Savage City). 5/5

I've read these before in singles but not in collected form. Excellent.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 02-04-2016 at 07:24 AM.

Don't let this thread die!!!

Action Comics v2: Bulletproof - 4/5 - I much preferred it to volume 1 - but I didn't realise it was "to be continued".
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen v3: Century - 4/5 (volume 2 is still my favourite)

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Daredevil #229 (Born Again, Frank Miller)- am surprised how dark and realistic this tale feels to me and I remember enjoying it much more 5 years ago. Miller's first DD run (written and drawn by him) is more lighthearted and I need that in my escapism right now.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Currently halfway though the whole Green Lantern 'Uprising' crossover. Both GL and GLC Volume 5's. Again, I've read them before in single issues but not collected.

Not bad - 3/5.

Batman: Dark Knight, Dark City - 4/5. It's not blowing me away the way it did back in the day, but it's still good. I'm not mad on his characterisation of Alfred though.

Multiversity Deluxe Edition HC - 4.5/5 - I almost docked it half a point for the non-ending, but this book was all about the journey and that was great.
    Green Dog Trumpet and other stories - 1/5

Glory v1 and v2 - 4/5. Good story, great art.