Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

October pull list: Marvel cancelled some of my favourite titles so the list gets smaller.

Hellblazer 4/5 (A bit to political, I'm sure Farage wouldn't have appreciated it, but it was well done.)
    Justice League Dark 4/5 May have just bin the mood I was in, but I really liked it)

Thor 3.5/5 (Probably would have appreciated the humorous interaction between Thor & Iron Man more if I was a longtime die hard Marvel fan)
    Daredevil 3.5
    Hawkman 3.5

Batman titles 3/5 (Wrapping up the Joker's war)
    Wolverine 3/5 (Not a bad story, but I find the jumping around from story to story frustrating. Finish one plotline before starting another, by the time they get back to Dracula I will have forgotten half of it)
    Flash titles 2 to 2.5 /5

Astonishing Member

We only find them when they're dead 1-2: 2/5 (cannot stand the art, makes it hard to see what is going on)

Stargazer 2: 2.5/5: Run of the mill alien/thriller

Incredible Member

War of the Realms Omnibus - the actual event and the Thor tie-in issues were good and fun. Overall though I feel that WotR is weaker that the main Thor run. But after that, there were still about 1000+ pages of tie-ins left. Some of them were really good (Punisher for instance) and most were up until the point where I stopped, which was approximately 2/3s into the omnibus. It was just too much stuff to read after I already knew the ending and I wasn't particularly interested in what happened to any teams that I had no knowledge of.

King Thor TPB - the end / coda of the quite considerable achievement of Aaron's 7 years on the title.

I am really happy with the run overall. To me the weakest part was after he end of the Lady Thor run and before we got into the proper "road to" WotR issues, there were some issues where it felt as if Aaron was not moving forward (also did not like the art on much of that part, Dauterman's fantasy style fitted much better IMHO).

Mighty Member

November pull list

Hawkman 5 (Great run, good wrap up for the last issue)
    Thor 4.5 (The writer on Thor is doing some good stuff)
    Rise & Fall hellblazer 4 (Whimsical & funny)

Constantine 3.5 (Sad to see it go)
    JLD 3.5
    Flash 3

Wolverine 2.5 (Jumping around plot lines is getting annoying)
    Daredevil 2.5 (Was the best run out there for a while, but I'm not feeling the court room drama stuff)

Batman 1 (Absolutely abysmal, I guess there going for a younger audience, dropped)

Time Masters issues 1-8.
    I'd meant to read this 1990 series for a while and finally got around to it. I wish I could say it was worth the wait but honestly, it was pretty bad. 2/5
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

BANNED

X of Sword Destruction: 7/10
    Batman: 4/10 - Not really my style of Batman books
    Detective Comic: 5/10 - Not my cup of tea as well
    Thor: 9/10 - I like the idea, let's see where it goes.
    Fantastic Four: 9/10 - I like how Dan Slott write his character.
    Die: 9/10 - I read Isekai daily so I really, really love how different this series is.
    Warhammer 40K - Marneus Calger: 8/10 - Nice characters moment, I don't really know WarHammer 40K though.
    Ultraman: 10/10 - Best Ultraman story period. This is how Tsurubuya need to write it's Ultraman, a mix of mystery, sci-finess, and flashiness. This is Ultra series that I think better than Ultra Q and Seven.

Astonishing Member

Warhammer: Marneus Callagar 1

Good art, nice battles with much gore. Cool intro even for a non Warhammer player like me.

Incredible Member

As part of my "Road to Doomsday Clock" read-through I read the Before Watchmen Omnibus. It was better than I had expected after all the negativity that is expressed towards it. I wonder whether people would judge it differently if this entire thing wasn't symptomatic of DC's treatment of Alan Moore.

My favourite stories were Comedian, Ozymandias and Silk Spectre but I also appreciated Minute Men and Rorschach. I can see why some may consider it pointless, given that we know where the characters end up but I used to say the same about Better Call Saul and boy was I wrong.
    The art was great to fantastic throughout. Ozymandias is a standout for me because it manages to tell an engaging story without much going on in the panels. It’s super minimalist, there’s often not even anything in the background other than colour. That was quite intriguing.

The next chapter was Absolute Flashpoint. Fun story and very quick read. This was my first actual Flash story but I do know some of the basic character beats so I wasn't lost. I really like these elseworld / what if kind of tales and would have liked to know more about that world. Maybe the upcoming Flashpoint Omnibus will contain more of that.

The next chapters are DC: Rebirth Deluxe, Batman/Flash The Button Deluxe and then I may just re-read Watchmen before diving into Doomsday Clock.

Astonishing Member

Batman/Catwoman 1

Its jumping through different timelines the whole time, that's a bit annoying. And I can't see the Joker anymore, too overused. But great art.

Incredible Member

DC Universe Rebirth Deluxe Edition and Batman/Flash: The Button Deluxe Edition. These are both quick and fun reads that establish that something is rotten in the state of the DC universe. Basically they serve as a prelude to Doomsday Clock.

Now before I re-read Watchmen and dive into Doomsday Clock, my copy of East of West Year Three has arrived so I will read that first.

Incredible Member

East of West Year Three Deluxe Edition - satisfying ending to a great series. This is a very imaginative story with great world-building and interesting characters. Cannot recommend it enough.

Now to continue my Doomsday Clock pre-reading, I will read Absolute Watchmen. I first read it more than 10 years ago, around the time when the movie came out. While I enjoyed it, I did not understand back then what all the fuss was about. Now that I have more experience with comics from all eras save Golden Age, I can definitely see why it was special at the time. Let's see whether I will pick up anything new this time around.

Astonishing Member

Taskmaster 1

I think they made Taskmaster a bit too comedic, I don't remember him like that. But it was fun as hell and I liked it, it can stay that way.

Incredible Member

Absolute Watchmen - Ok so after 11+ years I re-read Watchmen. Now that I have hundreds of collected editions under my belt, I can really appreciate much more what an achievement it really is. There are a lot of things about the art and the storytelling, that I can appreciate now but did not notice when I read it first in 2009, such as the perfect symmetry issue. Back then, I had basically not read any American comics and did not understand how this must have hit like a bomb at the time. Still think that V for Vendetta is just a little better though as it's a more tightly plotted. Nevertheless Watchmen is a great achievement and stands the comparison with any great contemporary comic.

Doomsday Clock Complete Collection - Have to say I really enjoyed this. Glad I was patient and waited for a collected edition as I think it would read better this way. Was it necessary? No. Did it fulfill its purpose of serving as a harmoniser / continuity fixer? I don’t know enough about DC and its history be the judge of that.
    But I do think when judged “stand-alone”, it is a good story, making clever use of elements of the masterpiece that is Watchmen. I understand the controversy surrounding it but given the creators I was too curious to not try it. Johns is being Johns, reliable as usual. But the artwork is fantastic.

All in all glad I read it. The hope in this story is a nice counterpoint to Watchmen’s cynicism.

Archie Christmas Spectacular #1 (February 2021 cover-date)

It's done old-school style, so of course it could be a bit silly (and not at all edgy).
    But you know what? I didn't mind the simplicity of it at all. I haven't bought/read a regular Archie comic book in years (at least a decade maybe?), but I use to sometimes get the Christmas issues back in the last century, and this was very good "comfort-read" as far as I was concerned. It wouldn't necessarily cause me to start buying/reading Archie comics (either recent or older) on a regular basis, but I would probably pick up another Christmas issue like this when they put one out.

Incredible Member

Kill or be Killed Deluxe Edition - Fantastic story and art - expected nothing less from the dream team of Brubaker / Philips / Breitweiser. Breitweiser's colours make Philip's art even more amazing than it already is. I first noticed her work in another Brubaker/Philips book, The Fade Out (which so far is my favourite Brubaker).

Highly recommended!