Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Sabrina: The Teenage Witch

No, not the "Chilling Adventures" series. It came out before that series & it's set in more modern times. The monsters are nowhere as horrific or dangerous but it was still entertaining. The art is by Jill Thompson so that's a big plus. Story is keeping my attention & makes me curious for more.

Thankfully, they keep the SJW vomit to a minimum or I would have bailed super quick. If I see more "girl power" vomit, I'll bounce. So we'll see.

Mighty Member

Comics December

Thor 4/5

-Marvel has a really good writer on this series. I'm a DC guy, and Thor is probably my 7th or 8th favorite Marvel hero, but this is the one comic I look forward to each month.

Daredevil 3/5

- The courtroom drama has ended, and it looks like the storyline is off in a new direction with Elektra, in what has been the best written comic over the last few years...in my opinion.

Wolverine 3/5

- I'm disappointed in how this run is being written. I don't enjoy several stories and plotlines at once, particularly the jumping back and forth between stories. I am assuming the Dracula vs Wolverine storyline finished somewhere outside the book? Have no idea why they haven't come back to it.

Justice League Dark 3/5

Not into the whole Winds of Winter crisis plotline that has engulfed DC, but the new writer on here is good enough to keep my interest captivated.

Flash 1/5 (dropped)

It's obvious DC is using filler until they reboot everything in March, so I'll pick up the Flash then.

Incredible Member

Happy New Year to all! Hope you had a nice break over the holiday period.

Between all the cooking and eating, playing with the kids etc. I did get some reading done. Here are my reads since 18 December, when my Christmas break started, until yesterday.

Injustice Omnibus 2 - Still fun, but a step down from the first omnibus. It never reaches the heights of the first two years again but it is still a very enjoyable and fast read. The last year (called Ground Zero) is told from the perspective of Harley Quinn, which put me off at first because obviously the view of the larger world events is more limited. After I got used to it I enjoyed the story as well but I would have preferred the omniscient narrator viewpoint of the previous years.

Absolute Y The Last Man 1-3 - Great story - BKV knows how to write in a way that it keeps you reading. I think telling a 60 issue story with only a couple of issues that dragged is quite an achievement. Lots and lots of interesting characters, an engaging story and an adequate ending - definitely recommended in case you're still on the fence. Also: I think BKV stuck the landing here much better than in Ex Machina.

Paper Girls Deluxe Edition 1-3 - Another great BKV story. Volumes 1 and 2 were re-reads for me. I read them early on in 2020 and for some reason wasn't really feeling them. At least not as much as many others. When I received the third deluxe, I decided to re-read the first two and this time I liked them much better. Again an interesting story with great characters and a good ending.

Planet Hulk Omnibus - My first Hulk book and it was fun! This really puts the character through the wringer and makes him vulnerable too, so that there is an actual sense of danger. Like a good block-buster.

World War Hulk Omnibus - The follow-up to Planet Hulk and also fun. I followed the reading order and read all the tie-ins in between the issues and I have to say it made for a good experience. As the tie-ins really focused on Hulk-related stories, they did mostly not feel out of place or irrelevant, therefore not killing the momentum in between the issued of the main series. Also, because I did not know the conclusion of the main series when I read the tie-ins, they were much more interesting than reading them only afterwards. Overall I would rate the relevance of the tie-ins in this omnibus much higher than the average relevance of the War of the Realms tie-ins.

As an overall retrospective, I did get quite a lot of reading done in 2020 - I mentioned that before but now I have the definitive numbers (previously the omnibus numbers were higher as I included the The Boys paperback omnibus, which I now counted towards the TPBs). The below are all collected editions.

By publisher:
    Dark Horse 40
    DC 32
    Marvel 29
    Image 24
    Dynamite 6
    Humanoids 3
    IDW 3
    TKO 2
    Boom! 1
    Carlsen 1
    Vault 1

By format:
    Deluxes and other OHCs 47
    TPBs 31
    HCs 26
    Omnibus 16
    Library Editions 15
    Absolutes 10

Not a bad year - a big part of the extra reading time was time saved by not commuting - I was working remotely since March. This year will probably be less remote work, but let's see.
    Last edited by Foxy; 01-04-2021 at 06:37 AM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Batman #105 - 1.5/5: Wth was that? Such a lazy, rushed ending to what only a mediocre story to begin with. I expect so much more from Tynion... *smh*

Wonder Woman #768 - 3/5: Not Tamaki's worst issue. Wrapped up the (too long) Max arc mostly, but Sandoval's art was the real hero. I'd love to see him draw more Diana!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Been on a bit of a Batman read-a-thon lately, more specifically, Batman by Grant Morrison.

I'm currently well into the third omnibus and here's what I read so far:

Batman The Black Case Book TPB - Some whacky 1950s Batman stories involving Batman traveling to another planet, being infected and turning into some sort of man-bat, fighting for justice alongside some international heroes etc. Not written by Morrison but he draws very heavily from these obscure 1950s stories. These stories were actually quite entertaining and I had expected them to be really bad given their age. But they were nowhere near as bad as Silver Age Fantastic Four (esp. the first omnibus). This was recommended to me as pre-reading and I am very glad I followed the advice (that is a recurring theme in this read-through).

Absolute Arkham Asylum - not directly related to Morrison's Batman run but I thought that aspects of this story did echo into The Clown at Midnight, the prose story in the first omnibus which has impact on later stories. I really enjoyed this for it's dream-like (or rather nightmarish) quality, especially due to the artwork. It reminded me heavily of Sienkiewicz's artwork in Elektra: Assassin, but the story was more enjoyable to me.

Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus volume 1 and The Resurrection of Ra's Al-Ghul HC - I really enjoyed this! This omnibus especially draws heavily on the stories from the black casebook and I do believe that by having read it, some aspects were definitely less confusing and also more enjoyable.I took a break to read the entire Resurrection of Ra's Al-Ghul storyline but I did not stop to read Final Crisis as I did not want the interruption to last too long.

Dark Knight, Dark City TPB - Another recommendation as this is a storyline that is partly retconned but also often referred to in the second omnibus. Again glad that I read it plus it is a cool story in its own right.

Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus volume 2 - the omnibus was great fun, having the Batman & Robin run as well as the stories of Bruce Wayne following the events of Final Crisis. Sometimes a bit confusing but Morrison really brings it all together in the end. This is greatly helped by the mapping of the omnibus, which has the perfect reading order.

War of the Realm #1-6, Omega: I know I'm way late on this, but it honestly never excited me enough to read even though I bought all of these upon release. For me, this was a very disjointed read. I feel like the main series just hit bullet points while all the read development and character work happened in the tie-ins and satellite minis. And the Omega issue was just an extended advertisement for upcoming spin offs. 2.5/5

WotR: War Scrolls #1-3: This was more enjoyable than the main event. The Daredevil feature was interesting, and Jason Aaron really captured "Matt as a god's" voice well. The back ups were hit and miss, but none of them horrible (except the art on the She-Hulk story). 3/5

WotR: Journey into Mystery #1-5: I picked this up strictly for Wonder Man, and it ended up the most fun out of the bunch. I wasn't familiar with a couple of the characters, but this made me want to read more from them. By issue 2 I didn't really care about what was happening in the main series, but I wanted more from this rag-tag group of D-listers. 4/5
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Astonishing Member

Seven to Eternity 14-15

Best Fantasy published right now.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Seven to Eternity 14-15

Best Fantasy published right now.
    I saw the artwork - hoping for an oversized release!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    I saw the artwork - hoping for an oversized release!
    I believe there is one for the first issue.

Incredible Member

Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus volume 3 - out of the three omnis, this one is maybe the most accessible. No pre-reading or side-reading required, and relatively straight-forward. A more than worthy adversary, more interesting to me than the typical villain gallery of Batman (Joker, Riddler etc.). Overall I really enjoyed this run and would recommend it to any Batman fan. It does pay off to read the Black Casebook before as it is referenced a lot throughout the run. On the other hand, there's also a lot of explanation available in the run so it's not absolutely required. Some people scare off new readers by making it sound as if you need a doctorate in DC comics but I think that's not the case.

The Ring of the Nibelung by P. Craig Russel - fantastic adaptation of Wagner's opera cycle. The story is of course timeless in itself, and draws heavily on ancient German and Nordic legends that even influenced Tolkien. The artwork is absolutely stellar as was expected. Really great book (standard sized hardcover from Dark Horse).

X-Force Omnibus 1 - yeah, THAT one. I put off reading this for a long time due to all the negative comments about 90s comics I've read. I was surprised that the story was not too bad, maybe a bit superficial. Also, it could have been done in half the issues. But Cable is an intriguing character and I want to read more about him. The artwork by Liefeld though is simply breathtaking - and not in a good way. More in the "almost choking while puking" kind of way Rarely have I seen such ugly "art". I saw some of his work on New Mutants when Louise Simonson was writing it and it didn't seem as bad then. In the X-Force omnibus, it's terrible. Faces look completely off from one panel to the very next adjacent panel, he has no sense of proportion and the "more is more". approach to line-work is just not very good looking. I really do not understand how he got so popular and even went on to Image along with the likes of Jim Lee or Whilce Portacio.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus volume 3 - out of the three omnis, this one is maybe the most accessible. No pre-reading or side-reading required, and relatively straight-forward. A more than worthy adversary, more interesting to me than the typical villain gallery of Batman (Joker, Riddler etc.). Overall I really enjoyed this run and would recommend it to any Batman fan. It does pay off to read the Black Casebook before as it is referenced a lot throughout the run. On the other hand, there's also a lot of explanation available in the run so it's not absolutely required. Some people scare off new readers by making it sound as if you need a doctorate in DC comics but I think that's not the case.
    Is that Batman Inc? Then I did not like how Morrison ended his run. The artist felt like a step down after Frank Quitely for me. Inc as a new Concept sounded good enough but the execution just stopped being a Batman Story.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Is that Batman Inc? Then I did not like how Morrison ended his run. The artist felt like a step down after Frank Quitely for me. Inc as a new Concept sounded good enough but the execution just stopped being a Batman Story.
    Yes indeed, it's Inc. The art was ok to me, but then Quitely isn't my favourite either I liked the artists in the first volume the most if memory serves.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I liked the artists in the first volume the most if memory serves.
    Those issues made me a fan of Andy Kubert. Quitely isn't for everyone but I like him. Somehow his characters look so 3dimensional to me.

Batman/Catwoman #1-2: I know I should probably wait until this series is completed before passing judgement, but oh well. Based on just these two issues, I'm already asking why I even bothered. I wasn't a fan of the back 1/2 of King's Batman run, so I don't know why I thought this would be any different, as it's just more of the same. Clay Mann's art is the saving grace for me. 2.5/5
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Incredible Member

X-Men X-Cutioner's Song OHC - now that is how crossover events should be done. Limited number of titles each with a limited number of issues, no unnecessary tie-ins, to the point. Very good. Also nice (after a full X-Force omnibus) to read some X-Men / X-Factor proper again. Different from what I expected, the event does not fully confirm Cable's origins (I mean I have read about it on the internet etc. - 30 year old spoilers LOL). Let's see when that will happen.

Halfway through the Deadpool & X-Force omnibus now and it's still quite entertaining but I really do miss the X-Men. I have not read much of New Mutants and only the first X-Force omnibus versus the entire Claremont area plus some follow-up so I have a much deeper investment into the X-Men. Maybe I will switch back to X-Men (Shattershot and Fatal Attractions) befoe diving into the Cable & X-Force omnibus.