Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by belar View Post
    Batman Deathblow - After The Fire - 3/5. Meh. The story sort of meandered to a halt.
    I vaguely remember not having a clue what was going on in that one. Nice art though.

The Stuff of Legend v1: The Dark - 4/5 - Good start. Thanks for the recommendation Sharkerbob
    Saga v5 - 4/5 Still good. The dragon was juvenile, but hilarious. My biggest problem is waiting six months between volumes I always forget what's going on.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

The Flash Volume 5 - History Lessons: 3/5

Difficult one to rate actually. Unlike most graphic novels I was reading it for the first time. A bit more supernatural mystery than I'd normally expect from The Flash. Not bad though.

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

I just read The Humans Volume 2 and I'd give it 4.5 out of 5.

If you like the crime genre, Sons of Anarchy and/or Planet of the Apes then this series is for you. The art is beautiful and the book doesn't take itself too seriously, it's a fun read.

BANNED

Recently comic book I read was the old Spawn and Batman crossover which I got from Dollar General where they had a couple of 3 comics in one bag.

the Spawn and Batman crossover comic was terrible. They bickered like 2 year olds and Batman called Spawn a dumb punk because of the way he fought etc

I could have made a better story than what went on in that crossover. Good grief.

Darth Vader #6 (in trade) - 5/5.
    Doctor Strange #7 (most recent single issue) - 4/5.

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    Recently comic book I read was the old Spawn and Batman crossover which I got from Dollar General where they had a couple of 3 comics in one bag.

the Spawn and Batman crossover comic was terrible. They bickered like 2 year olds and Batman called Spawn a dumb punk because of the way he fought etc

I could have made a better story than what went on in that crossover. Good grief.
    I actually like that issue. It's lightweight pap, but it's fun.

The DC one, Batman/Spawn: War Devil on the other hand is absolutely terrible.

Default Hellboy in Mexico

Hellboy in Mexico
    This trade paperback collects a number of stories that all take place in Mexico, during a period of roughly half a year. Mignola once created this short and blurry episode in Hellboy’s life for no particular reason, but couldn’t resist expanding on it, creating some out of the ordinary Hellboy stories. I love Mignola’s short stories and even though these Mexican stories are not his best ones, there was still plenty to enjoy. Not least of all the art. Mignola , Mike McMahon, Gabriel Bá, Fabio Moon and one of my all time favorites: Richard Corben.

Default Terra Formars 1

Terra Formars 1
    This manga came recommended to me because I like insects and insects are its main theme. The idea is that moss and cockroaches were once dumped on the surface of Mars to create a biosphere. Now that it's time for further colonization, the cockroaches have evolved to 2 meter tall humanoid monsters. NASA is sending missions with genetically modified humans to wipe them out. Each person has been modified using insect genes. This series is all about monster bashing and weird mutations. It makes no further effort to be credible. I lost my interest well before the end.

Default Rat Queens 3: Demons

Rat Queens 3: Demons
    In this volume the Queens set out to release Hannah's father from a magical prison. We get to know a lot about Hannah's personal life and past, which turns out to be pretty dark. In the end, much to everyone's dislike, Hannah decides to break up with the Queens. It seems Wiebe is setting the stage for a storyline that requires the Queens to be seperated. Unfortunately it all feels very much forced upon them, Wiebe doesn't manage to make it feel natural. It was the least interesting volume so far and I sure hope that whatever Wiebe is setting up is going to be worth it.

Default Studio Ghibli Storyboards 1: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Studio Ghibli Storyboards 1: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
    Anyone who loves the work of Hayao Miyazaki and knows how to value good art, will adore this A5-sized gem of a book. (The original drawings are probably closer to A4-size, meaning this book has been slightly reduced in size.) Scripts of animations (especially when they're classic cell animations) are turned into carefuly scripted storyboards up front, to prevent any redundant work.

This book contains one complete storyboard. A little over 2500 miniature illustrations, spread out over 560 pages. Read it and you will read the entire story of Ghibli's anime Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. Since these pages served as a 'mere' storyboard, efficiency is everything. Camera movements are indicated using arrows and words, scenery too big to fit a single panel is simply drawn outside the frame and whenever possible, drawings are reduced to the bits that change, leaving out anything static after the first panel. It's only too bad I can't speak Japanese, for I'd love to read all the remarks in and next to the panels.

The drawings have been done in pencil, shaded with a color that's somewhere between orange and ochre and all done by Miyazaki hmself. Nowhere will you find traces of erasing. Sometimes, a few lightly penciled lines to help get the perspective right or to sketch out some complex shapes, have been used to assist in the drawing. Apart from that, everything is done in one pass, without any corrections. Knowing this when looking at these finely and accurately sculpted drawings, makes you realize how much of a master Hayao Miyazaki truly is. Heartbreakingly beautiful.

(More images can be found on my tumblr blog.)

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
    I just read The Humans Volume 2 and I'd give it 4.5 out of 5.

If you like the crime genre, Sons of Anarchy and/or Planet of the Apes then this series is for you. The art is beautiful and the book doesn't take itself too seriously, it's a fun read.
    Planet of the Apes is a crime book? Maybe I should give it a try then.

Love your avatar. Where's it from?

Uncanny X-Men v4 #7... 3.5/5
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Catwoman (Brubaker) v3: Under Pressure 3/5. 3.5 for the writing, 2 for the art. I've never seen why some people like Paul Gulacy's art.

Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe 1-4
    Taskmaster being killed by Man-Thing was weird, and not having She-Hulk 4th wall battle with Deadpool was a missed opportunity for a golden match, although it may have stretched the story unnecessarily.
    I really enjoyed the story beside those two points.
    8/10
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

The Walking Dead v19, 20 and 21: Match to War and All Out War part one and two - 4/5.
    Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files v11 - This one had Oz so it's an easy 4/5