Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

The Un-Men v1: Get Your Freak On! - 2/5. The art was decent enough, but the story completely failed to grab me

Default The Twilight Children

The Twilight Children

Two days after I put my review online on my tumblr blog, Darwyn Cooke died. I sure hope I don't have a Death Notebook. The Twilight Children was made by Darwyn Cooke and Gilbert Hernandez. Thats pretty much a dream team. It was also one of the titles that Vertigo used to put herself back on the map, so I expected fireworks. Granted, it looks nice and it's a pleasant read, but… what is it about? I see lots of reviews on the internet, asking this same question. However, not everyone is bothered by this. The Twilight Children is about a little coastal village, where light emitting globes appear. They kidnap people, blind children en leave a mysterious girl behind at the shore. The village life is turned upside down, especially when enigmatic strangers are drawn to investigate.
    A REVIEW A DAY : siggestript.tumblr.com | | AN OVERVIEW OF ALL TITLES : siggestript.tumblr.com/archive

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

DC Universe: Rebirth 5/5 overall a great book and has me excited for what is to come.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Default Rebels

Rebels
    I've got a soft spot for the rebellious Brian Wood and his attempts to uproot the establishment, even though I'm usually not entirely taken by his stories. I thought The Massive, for instance, was set in a future that was too one dimensional and the story was lingering indecisively for too long. Rebels was considerably better. It's a historical story about the War of Independance, shown through the eyes of a normal, hard working colonist. It felt more solid and more credible than most of Wood's work and I liked it. At the back of the book are some more short stories about average people who contributed to the war in their own way.
    A REVIEW A DAY : siggestript.tumblr.com | | AN OVERVIEW OF ALL TITLES : siggestript.tumblr.com/archive

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sigge View Post

The Twilight Children

Two days after I put my review online on my tumblr blog, Darwyn Cooke died. I sure hope I don't have a Death Notebook. The Twilight Children was made by Darwyn Cooke and Gilbert Hernandez. Thats pretty much a dream team. It was also one of the titles that Vertigo used to put herself back on the map, so I expected fireworks. Granted, it looks nice and it's a pleasant read, but… what is it about? I see lots of reviews on the internet, asking this same question. However, not everyone is bothered by this. The Twilight Children is about a little coastal village, where light emitting globes appear. They kidnap people, blind children en leave a mysterious girl behind at the shore. The village life is turned upside down, especially when enigmatic strangers are drawn to investigate.
    I enjoyed this comic. I kinda wish it was a little longer to help the characterizations.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Amazing Spider-Man #12

Power Play part 1

Regent is the next villain Peter must face with the All-New Avengers and his large cast of supporting characters. It was an underwhelming setup issue and I hated the banter/bickering between Tony and Peter. It was childish and seemed out of character considering they were being attacked by the Ghost. The art was great as always and I did enjoy seeing the Ghost again. Could care less about Regent, I thought the Secret Wars mini was enough, but here we go for round two. I give this ish 3/5 stars for the art alone. Slott has lost Pete's voice for the most part. There are moments where I recognize him, and I enjoy the cast, but I'm not sure how long I can keep committed to this book anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigge View Post
    Ooh - not heard of that. I've added it to my list.

Colder v1 4/5 - I've been going through a batch of volume ones lately which have been underwhelming, but this one was great. A nice entertaining writing style, a nice bit of creepiness and some good lively art. I'll be getting volume 2.

The Flash #45-49 - 3/5 Not classic, but decent enough.
    Peter Panzerfaust v1: The Great Escape - 3/5 - A bit slight, but I'm interested to see where this goes.
    Madrox: Multiple Choice (reread) - 4/5

X-Factor v1: The Longest Night (reread) 4.5/5
    X-Factor v2: Life & Death Matters (reread) 4/5
    X-Factor v3: Many Lives of Madrox 4/5
    X-Factor v4: Heart of Ice 4/5
    Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files v12 4/5
    X-Factor v5: The Only Game in Town 4/5

X-Factor v6: Secret Invasion 3/5 - Easily the weakest volume so far - Mostly because of some terrible art by Larry Stroman, but the writing seems to be slipping too.
    Twisted Dark v1 - 3/5 - Okay collection of creepy stories. Not enough to move me to get volume 2
    Paper Girls v1 - 4/5 - Seems like it could be good, but very little is revealed. I think I'll wait till it's finished before reading any more.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

So far this week have read..

Adventures of Supergirl #5 2/5
    Aquaman #2 4/5
    Batman #2 3/5
    Flintstones #1 3/5
    Future Quest #2 4/5
    Green Arrow #2 3/5
    Green Lanterns #2 3.5/5
    Invader Zim #11 2/5
    Paper Girls #7 3/5
    Superman #2 4/5

And for Trades currently reading LEGENDS : 30th anniversary edition. Really enjoying it so far. 4/5
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Big catch-up:

Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds 2.5/5. It was merely okay. I really can't see how some people say this is better than Final Crisis
    Batman Earth One 4/5. I'm interested to see where this goes.
    Hewligan's Haircut (reread) 4/5 - A bit of a classic
    Descender v1 4.5/5 - Gorgeous art and an interesting story. Highly recommended
    Man-Thing: Whatever Knows Fear... 2/5 - The artist seems to be pretending to be Kelly Jones. The writing was actually decent, but being the prequel that it is, it never really goes anywhere.
    Chrononauts v1 4/5
    Secret Avengers v3: Run the Mission, Don't get Seen, Save the World 3.5/5 - Either Warren Ellis is becoming a parody of himself or I'm just beginning to get a bit bored with his work.
    Hellblazer: Pandemonium 3.5/5 - Good art from Jock. The story isn't that exciting.
    Seconds 4.5/5 - Way better than I expected. Certainly better than Scott Pilgrim

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Leaving Megalopolis/Surviving Megalopolis - 3/5 and 2/5 - While the premise is neat, and it has some tense moments, I think this comic is more ambitious than it's capability. Each issue feels too short, and while it has some moments of good tension, I just don't like any of the characters. The only interesting characters, a few of the corrupted heroes themselves, we don't get to see enough of, and instead we follow a group of survivors who don't always seem to be consistent in personality. The first mini-series works well enough as a one-off short story, but the sequel and side stories don't improve the setting or experience much to my mind.

Personally, I think the comic "Irredeemable" (the first 19 issues anyway), capture the suspense/thriller feel of a superhero gone rogue a lot better than Megalopolis (although the premise is different, of course).

Overall, I'd say make sure to read each mini-series in one sitting, as I think waiting a month between issues probably doesn't help the pacing much.

Daredevil v4 #09
    I knew they'd give Matt his BND, I didn't know it happened after Waid left (or was it at the end of his run?)....
    Well, I lost attachment to modern comics after Amazing 700, I only read this per request by my brother, and I found it to be ok, couldn't laugh at it as much as he did.
    I really like the retro feel to the art.
    7/10
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Supergod 2.5/5 - Not so much a story as a lecture describing the downfall of the Earth due to man-made gods. Really quite boring.

Dingo 3/5 - Silly, but fun bit of throwaway rubbish.

The Royals: Masters of War 4/5 - Surprisingly good story set during WWII in a world where the royal families of the world are super beings.

Genął: Ordinary Heroes 2/5 - The art is good. Nothing else was.

Killer Princesses 2/5 - Just not funny.

Bitch Planet v1: Extraordinary Machine 4/5 - Not on fire yet, but it shows potential. I'm here for the next volume.