Page 55 of 71 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I am gonna say this , for years Star Wars never had a strong ....strong female character who was the key part of the action. Now they have introduced Rey and it works. She is the main action star and I bet girls will now be happy. They have the strongest female action star since....well...Ripley from the Aliens movies. Good move Disney.
    It's statements like that make me wonder have ppl actually seen Star Wars. I think that when you say that you kinda undercut Princess...excuse me General Leia in a huge way. If I'm not mistaken she is the one that kicks off episode IV. Hiding the Death Star info into R2 which lands on Tattoine for Luke and Obi Wan to find. Correct me if I"m wrong but was she not talking smack to Tarkin, was she not right there with Luke and Han in the detention center shootin at Stormtroopers. Did she not save both of them by finding a way out of that detention center jam by jumping into the garbage shut.

Did she not also in Episode V save Luke from certain Death under the city of Bespin, Did she not Save Han from his carbonite Prison and choked out Jabba. And she's got the Force. To me that's the definition of a strong female Character. Leia is the Rey before Rey.

Look at the Prequels (I personally don't have that big of an issue with them, mostly b/c I grew up with them and the OT and I can appreciate that George was doing something a bit different. There were some major missteps like midiclorinas.....ugh......but hey originality counts for something in my book.) In the Prequels Queen/Senator Amidala....she was the ruler of her own people, she was a key figure in the Galactic Senate.

She was right there with Obi Wan and Qui Gon sneaking into the Palace and shootin down droids along with her royal guards. In Episode II she was right there with Obi Wan and Anakin, and other Jedi fending off the Droid army. Episode III....kinda faltered a bit I admit, but she's still a key figure b/c she's Luke and Leia's mother. But still though she's strong in her own right.

I can admit that there could and should be more strong female characters in the movies. There definitely should be more representation but please don't say there aren't any because there are strong and kick-ass female characters sprinkled throughout. I say go back and look at the Clone Wars or even now look at Star Wars Rebels. I think I posted this in another thread too, but off the top of my head.

Ashoka Tano, Hera Syndulla, Asajj Ventress, Shaak Ti, Sabine Wren, Bariss Offe, Luminara Unduli (And there are a few more.)

And also they have been stronger characters than Ripley from Aliens.

HUnger Games- Katniss
    Divergent- Tris
    Resident Evil- Alice
    Underworld- Selene
    Avengers- Black Widow
    The Matrix- Trinity
    And the List goes on.....so Rey is not alone.

And I'm not saying that her character isn't awesome she is, she's an awesome addition however there were some questionable decisions made in episode VII

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    Ashoka Tano, Hera Syndulla, Asajj Ventress, Shaak Ti, Sabine Wren, Bariss Offe, Luminara Unduli (And there are a few more.)
    Aayla Secura and Sabine Wren.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Finally seen this, new goody characters were great. But Phasma paha talk about pathetic even worse than Fett. And Kylo and Snook, playing wayyyyyyy to hard on the Vader/Emperor thing and then omg he is Solo son!!!! Bah! Other than that pretty enjoyable and decent remake of ANH
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

I was looking for a Stan Lee cameo in this movie, but I couldn't find him anywhere obvious. Did they disguise him as one of the aliens in the various background scenes?

Didn't know Lee was in the movie, was shocked that the storm trooper Rey mind tricked was Daniel Craig though

The movie's going to pass Avatar for largest domestic box office of all time today or tommorow, only needs another 20 million
    Last edited by Hiromi; 01-04-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I was looking for a Stan Lee cameo in this movie, but I couldn't find him anywhere obvious. Did they disguise him as one of the aliens in the various background scenes?
    I don't think Stan was in it.

Here's a full list of the cameos.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I have it from sources on the inside that Stan played the Stormtrooper that went one-on-one with the lightsaber-wielding Finn.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Saw it and really liked a lot of it and really hated a lot of it. I think Ren is very interesting non traditional 'Sith' type villain and he has the potential to be really good in the future instalments. Loved the switch up they did with Finn and Rey as going in i had really seen not much to any of the promo material but Rey with her staff and Finn with Lukes Lightsabre so I really though Finn was the 'Jedi' here and not Rey so that was really really good to me and I also loved how they kind of gave room for Ren to possibly blur the line more betwee light and dark and maybe even Rey too.
    Loved Isaacs and Gleeson in this too they were great.

A few things I wasn't crazy about.....the humour and some of the more intimate character moments were a bit too typical of modern Hollywood and could seamlessly fit into really any summer blockbuster especially the humour...not really a big deal and did have some funny and cute moments with BB8, Chewy and Finn.

Things I hated...sorry to say just plain hated.
    The lack of interesting development they did with Rey. Daisy was perfect choice and the character was very good in many parts of the film and SW has been desperate for a female central 'hero' standpoint if you ask me and Rey provided that...but nothing at all about her was interesting......

I mean...lives in poverty on Jakku...but is a pretty awesome salvager/mechanic...okay seems reasonable....
    BB8 shows up...hey Rey can speak Astromech Binary...well duh a lot of mechanics in the SW universe can too so that makes sense....
    Grabs a ship...hey Rey is a near Poe level pilot...even though it seems she's very poor and likely couldn't afford a ship and never leaves Jakku since her abandonment on the planet so wouldn't really fly much...seems a bit off....
    Meets Han and Chewbacca...wait now Rey, from Jakku who had no parents from a very young age and likely a poor education understands shyriiwook!!! A notoriously difficult and very very rare language...and Rey knows it...this makes almost 0 sense..
    Firefight outside Maz's place, never ever held a blaster and litterally after a single shot is out gunning highly trained Storm Troopers with ease....getting a bit beyond annoying now....
    Ren tortures her and in her first try over powers him mere hours after even discovering she may be force sensitive....with a technique in which she has ZERO TRAINING....that just sucks...no thought at all.
    Barely acquainted with her new abilities and in 2 tries, again no training or even demonstration, pulls off flawless mind control.....now this movie has just taken a turn for the worst....
    In the final moments of the film Rey demonstrates a perfect force pull, never shown, it to overpower Kylo who we know is untrained but has immense power...okay whatever a bolt caster to the gut is bound to weaken you...we'll give that a pass.
    Out matches Ren after receiving a total of 0 minutes of sword combat training anf yet handles the LS like she was born with it....sucks a big tu...erm never mind.

Now don't get it confused I'm 100% NOT saying these things can't or won't be explained or are even bad in their own right....what I'm saying is characters, particularly in the Star Wars universe are made interesting by what they over come, by how hard they have to fight and to try...coming back from losses and learning from mistakes and Rey had none of that development every moment in this movie, every single one, when Rey needed to be able to do it she summoned the ability from seemingly out of the blue...which is just not interesting at all. Rey had all the makings to be excellent but was really only okay.

Beyond rey other things I hated was having to buy a THIRD X-wing run on a Death Star....and yes the Star Killer base may work differently and be more powerful but the final result is the same as what we have essentially sat threw twice before and was really just a copy paste job if you ask me.

It was overall a very enjoyable watch in many ways and a bit of a disappointment in others. I thought most of the new characters were great and very well cast. The state of the film at the end was boring, predictable and just plain repeat but the state of the characters was something new....where does this leave Finn? What secrets does Luke have for Rey and is she related somehow(possibly going dark?) and what will Kylo Ren become in his struggles with the force? A near unstoppable Sith lord of immense power or a possible unlikely ally? Poe too was interesting and same for Hux...now that ren has fallen to Rey once will Snoke give hux more power over Rey or will his failings with the Star Killer base be unforgiven?

Overall and solid 7/10 for me.

PS. Phasma sucked so bad....so so so disappointing.
    Last edited by gobSIDES; 01-04-2016 at 04:58 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    It's statements like that make me wonder have ppl actually seen Star Wars. I think that when you say that you kinda undercut Princess...excuse me General Leia in a huge way. If I'm not mistaken she is the one that kicks off episode IV. Hiding the Death Star info into R2 which lands on Tattoine for Luke and Obi Wan to find. Correct me if I"m wrong but was she not talking smack to Tarkin, was she not right there with Luke and Han in the detention center shootin at Stormtroopers. Did she not save both of them by finding a way out of that detention center jam by jumping into the garbage shut.

Did she not also in Episode V save Luke from certain Death under the city of Bespin, Did she not Save Han from his carbonite Prison and choked out Jabba. And she's got the Force. To me that's the definition of a strong female Character. Leia is the Rey before Rey.

Look at the Prequels (I personally don't have that big of an issue with them, mostly b/c I grew up with them and the OT and I can appreciate that George was doing something a bit different. There were some major missteps like midiclorinas.....ugh......but hey originality counts for something in my book.) In the Prequels Queen/Senator Amidala....she was the ruler of her own people, she was a key figure in the Galactic Senate.

She was right there with Obi Wan and Qui Gon sneaking into the Palace and shootin down droids along with her royal guards. In Episode II she was right there with Obi Wan and Anakin, and other Jedi fending off the Droid army. Episode III....kinda faltered a bit I admit, but she's still a key figure b/c she's Luke and Leia's mother. But still though she's strong in her own right.

I can admit that there could and should be more strong female characters in the movies. There definitely should be more representation but please don't say there aren't any because there are strong and kick-ass female characters sprinkled throughout. I say go back and look at the Clone Wars or even now look at Star Wars Rebels. I think I posted this in another thread too, but off the top of my head.

And also they have been stronger characters than Ripley from Aliens.

HUnger Games- Katniss
    Divergent- Tris
    Resident Evil- Alice
    Underworld- Selene
    Avengers- Black Widow
    The Matrix- Trinity
    And the List goes on.....so Rey is not alone.

And I'm not saying that her character isn't awesome she is, she's an awesome addition however there were some questionable decisions made in episode VII
    Eh Padme decayed with each movie, Leia was good but yeah I can name plenty of franchise with a White Female Lead sorry people not groundbreaking in this genre just like black comic relief sidekick aint groundbreaking.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    The problem I had is that the narrative explicitly undercuts her proficiency in the things that she SHOULD be proficient in. She's a scavenger. That she's a great mechanic and knows how to put and pull things apart makes a lot of sense. Hell, they could even have explained her piloting but then they go and pull the 'how do you know how to do these things?' conversation and she explicitly replies she has no idea, which.. is not so great. It's the same sort of background Luke had, in the sense that he spent his youth doing the kind of things that made him a great shot and pilot, and in her case, it should've made her a great mechanic... and then they go and do that. It bugs me. I don't think I'm misremembering that conversation.

Her abilities as a character had actually made sense up to that point, though I do think her force prowess was also kind of a stretch, I can accept it for the mostly audience pleasing moment it was.

There was no reason for to /not know/ why she knew these things. Instead of demonstrating her competency, it only demonstrates her 'specialness', and I think contributed to a feeling that her character is superficial, especially compared to Finn's. That's not a crime, but it's certainly something that needs improvement for the sequel. Here's hoping.

But I'd argue that Anakin is not really a model anyone should want to follow. There were TONS of complaints about nine year old Anakin and his ridiculous over-competency. Let's not forget that. xD

AS for Luke, he's actually a far less competent protagonist than Rey is circa New Hope. xD
    Say what you will but at least Lucas Justified or tried to anyway Luke and Anakin's Flying skills sure the force gave them an edge and sped up the process but at least they practiced it before, along with the force skills which with you Luke you might argue he didnt train long enough but he trained way more then Rey...her mechanic skills justified, pole arm skills okay she did beat up no name thugs so nor worth much and Finn (although you think the average trooper would be better trained then some random self trianed girl), multingual sure why not its possible (although speaking Resistance Protocol droid and Wookie is stretching it especially the droid since she has never met a Resistance member before)....but then it breaks down come on advance piloting skills (has never flown a ship before much less the Falcon) and then her sudden Force Skills (Pushes a trained Kylo out of her mind, instability to do jedi mind tricks, out force pulls Kylo and then beats him in a duel). Even Anakin didnt pull those Force Skills without training.

She had a weak arc...I wanna wait for my family and then k time to go train and accept your destiny fine a bit standard) and her skills were bs, just because we need strong female characters doesnt mean you get to ignore canon and storylelling. And while Rey got all the skills and cool stuff Finn didnt get ****, no skills, no force, a weak motivation (running then saving Rey), and nothing iconic about him paraphernalia wise be it ship, armor, sidekick, or weapon.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

In all our excitement over the new characters, this issue has not gotten much attention:

In EPISODE VIII (and possibly beyond), will Luke suffer a sense of guilt over Han's fate? Han saved Luke's life twice, and Luke returned the favor once. Would things have turned out differently if Luke had been there with Han when confronting Kylo Ren/Ben Solo? Would Luke's presence there have made a difference and saved Han's life?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

It's hard to say without knowing the details but Luke's withdrawl upon Ben's betrayal (in whatever form that took) kind of smells like moral cowardice.
    Things didn't go like Luke planed so ... he ran away. Despite thousands upons thousands of years testimony that an order of Jedi can work and work really well.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It's hard to say without knowing the details but Luke's withdrawl upon Ben's betrayal (in whatever form that took) kind of smells like moral cowardice.
    Things didn't go like Luke planed so ... he ran away. Despite thousands upons thousands of years testimony that an order of Jedi can work and work really well.
    HE was only following Yoda's example.

:P

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I don't think it was cowardice that made him leave. I think he was pissed and could sense the dark side welling up in himself. Luke left because he knew that the galaxy would tremble if he fell. Also, going back to the first Jedi Temple was likely a done in order to get in touch with the Jedi's ancient heritage. From a time before dogma and arrogance allowed the Jedi to become blind to Palpatine's machinations and the Emperor's ensuing reign of darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Say what you will but at least Lucas Justified or tried to anyway Luke and Anakin's Flying skills sure the force gave them an edge and sped up the process but at least they practiced it before, along with the force skills which with you Luke you might argue he didnt train long enough but he trained way more then Rey...her mechanic skills justified, pole arm skills okay she did beat up no name thugs so nor worth much and Finn (although you think the average trooper would be better trained then some random self trianed girl), multingual sure why not its possible (although speaking Resistance Protocol droid and Wookie is stretching it especially the droid since she has never met a Resistance member before)....but then it breaks down come on advance piloting skills (has never flown a ship before much less the Falcon) and then her sudden Force Skills (Pushes a trained Kylo out of her mind, instability to do jedi mind tricks, out force pulls Kylo and then beats him in a duel). Even Anakin didnt pull those Force Skills without training.

She had a weak arc...I wanna wait for my family and then k time to go train and accept your destiny fine a bit standard) and her skills were bs, just because we need strong female characters doesnt mean you get to ignore canon and storylelling. And while Rey got all the skills and cool stuff Finn didnt get ****, no skills, no force, a weak motivation (running then saving Rey), and nothing iconic about him paraphernalia wise be it ship, armor, sidekick, or weapon.
    She's flown speeders her whole life and helped Plutt repair the Falcon. She likely knew what it could take and what it could do, at least in theory. She then piloted the Falcon through a Star Destroyer that she had been exploring and salvaging for most of her life.

In the movie, it is strange that a scavener would know Wookiee, which means she likely picked it up from a time before she was dumped off on the planet. The other languages all make sense since Nima Outpost is multicultural. There is no "resistance protocol droid" language. The language that BB-8 spoke is binary. Its the same language that R2 speaks. Binary is one of the most common languages in the galaxy, spoken by droids on literally every world.

Her sudden Force Powers are likely latent abilities that are manifesting themselves from previous training that she blocked out after the Jedi Massacre (i.e. she was a padawan before being dumped on Jakku). Even if she isn't, she could easily have looked into Kylo's head and saw that the myths and legends she had heard were in fact true (a double confirmation from what Han said when he stated "it was all true"). If she had heard the myths, then she would give it a try. Hence why it took her a few shots before she convinced Daniel-Craig-Stormtrooper to let her go.

Anakin was never put in a situation where he would need to use Force Powers to survive other than piloting. Luke knew what a Jedi was but he may not have heard of their myths or their stories (due to Imperial propaganda and his Uncle's own determination to not see Luke become a Jedi). Obi-Wan showed him he could Mind Trick people and deflect bolts with the saber, neither skill was applicable in Luke's adventures throughout the rest of his adventure in the movie. The point is, neither Luke nor Anakin were put in a do-or-die moment where they had to do something unexpected to survive.

Finn's motivation is simple: Run from the empire that kidnapped him as a baby, indoctrinated him and forced him to become a soldier. His motivation then revolved around Rey, one of only two people he could call a friend after deserting. His entire arc became "destroy Starkiller Base and Save Rey."
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 01-05-2016 at 12:26 AM.