Page 43 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    But Finn heard the screams before anyone saw anything.
    Agreed... But, I think we're gonna need a screen clip of that scene to clear this up...
    Last edited by ZNOP; 01-02-2016 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Did Finn happen to have the lightsaber in his possession when he heard (and or felt) the death of the star system the First Order destroyed?
    He didn't hear it, it was just the editing that made it seem like Finn was force-sensitive.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Eh not really because again they didn't apparently deem it important enough to put it into the movie.
    Just because it wasn't in the film doesn't mean it's not important, it still happened in the canon.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Default Star Wars: The Mary Sue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpS6...el=Uptomyknees

The link is to Max Landis' calling out / explaining his critique of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and his charge that Rey is a Mary Sue. I can't disagree with him. Maybe you can.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    Here's a thought- When Episode 8 comes out, does anyone think it might be the first time a Star Wars movie begins at the exact moment the previous one ended? It's certainly the first time it's perfectly set up to do so.
    No, it will probably start some time later. Like around the time characters are wrapping up their training.

Ultimate Member

I won't go as far as say that Rey is a Mary Sue but I will say that some things came to her far too easily.

I never really viewed the force as "magic" but TFA came dangerously close to treating it as such with Rey just using it at random with zero guidance/training. The movie treated the force like its some innate mutant power that one can splurge out without any guidance/training. Neither Anakin nor Luke "applied" the force in advanced ways (despite the former's insane midichlorian count) without Jedi advice. That I had a serious problem with.

Anyway, I won't go as far as saying Rey is a "Mary Sue" because what I'm referring to isn't a "Mary Sue" character.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-03-2016 at 12:43 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    He didn't hear it, it was just the editing that made it seem like Finn was force-sensitive.
    I did watch that part again and although Finn was shown to react first his back was turned because he was going inside -- and the subsequent reactions seemed to indicate that they heard and or saw the missile launch... I'm working on how to upload the clip now but, I can't seem to figure out how to do it without you-tube or how to include a spoiler alert.
    Last edited by ZNOP; 01-03-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    I did watch that part again and although Finn was shown to react first the subsequent reactions of the other seems to indeed indicate they heard and or saw the missile launch... I'm working on how to upload the clip now, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it without you-tube or how to include a spoiler alert.
    Well he was looking towards the sky when it happened because he was getting out of the ship. There were huge red energy beams in the sky that were pretty noticeable.

Max Landis is a douche. I have no interest in that dudes hot take on anything having to do with women.

I do indeed. Her true tests just haven't surfaced yet. Again, first film in a three film trilogy and all that.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I assumed he would. The internet is having a field day with them, he sounded like "all I got was 4 billion dollars"

Even on a logical level, TFA isn't any more "retro" than the prequels that jammed in characters like C3PO into Anakin's story when Obi-Wan being there was already enough. Our Savior is found on a desert planet, with droids, the young protagonist sees their mentor cut down, Our Savior has a flight/attack sequence at the end.

I mean i guess he could complain he already exploited Ep4 for TPM and then JJ did it again for TFA but I guess it's Star Wars tradition to kick off a trilogy that way.
    The Force Awakes is almost a one to one remake of the first Star Wars movie. Say what you will about The Phantom Menace, it's a pretty bad movie, but it wasn't so much like the first movie that nothing was ever a surprise. I mean, how terrible it was was a surprise, but I'm not talking about that kind of surprise. The Force Awakes is far more like the original movie than The Phantom Menace ever tried to be.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    The Force Awakes is almost a one to one remake of the first Star Wars movie. Say what you will about The Phantom Menace, it's a pretty bad movie, but it wasn't so much like the first movie that nothing was ever a surprise. I mean, how terrible it was was a surprise, but I'm not talking about that kind of surprise. The Force Awakes is far more like the original movie than The Phantom Menace ever tried to be.
    The Force Awakens has elements of the entirety of the original trilogy and that's not a bad thing. JJ was tasked with the impossible in making a worthy successor to the franchise while also laying the groundwork for this era of the Star Wars Universe and he pulled it off. Rian Johnson will be able to do all the risks that you guys want in Episode VIII. I do think the rest of the trilogy will have elements and will sometimes mirror what has come before but it will still be it's own thing just like TFA was. I'm betting that the romance (Finn is getting a love interest in the next episode and I think Poe will step into the Han role to Rey's Leia) and the reveal of Rey's parentage (Luke's daughter) will happen just like Empire Strikes Back. Star Wars has always been cyclical but throws variations on the cycles that the franchise uses. I can't wait to see where it goes in Episode VIII and with the upcoming canon and Aftermath books. I'm so glad Star Wars is back in full swing, what a time to be a Star Wars fan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post

The link is to Max Landis' calling out / explaining his critique of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and his charge that Rey is a Mary Sue. I can't disagree with him. Maybe you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I do indeed. Her true tests just haven't surfaced yet. Again, first film in a three film trilogy and all that.
    Sounds like she didn't need to be in the movie then.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Max Landis is a douche. I have no interest in that dudes hot take on anything having to do with women.
    Dude, I don't know Landis from Adam - but nothing he said came off as douchy and even if he is one to you his critique is not douce based.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    Dude, I don't know Landis from Adam - but nothing he said came off as douchy and even if he is one to you his critique is not douce based.
    Suggesting that a female character who can do a few things (all of which are explained in the movie) is therefore too competent?

That sounds pretty douchy to me.