Page 63 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Disney is almost forcing people who want to know more to check out all the in-canon supplemental stuff. Its brutal for "in the middle" fans like me who want to know more but aren't hardcore with it
    I don't think they're doing it to try and force people to buy books or something. The movie is just sloppy is all. If they were setting out to do something like that they would have probably been making a huge deal about this or that book in the lead-up to the movie. We'd have Star Wars book commercials on tv like they were the newest James Patterson book.

BANNED

I've had it with Mary-Sues...

If Rey was a Mary-Sue she would have

- turned Kylo Ren back to the light side.
    - be able to use not just basic stuff but advanced Force powers of both the light and dark side
    - and use them as good as or better than Yoda and Palpatine, without training
    - have her own ship that is better than the Millenium Falcon (that she probably built herself out of pices of Star Destroyer)
    - be in a romance with Luke, Kylo, or both.
    - etcetera...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I've had it with Mary-Sues...

If Rey was a Mary-Sue she would have

- turned Kylo Ren back to the light side.
    - be able to use not just basic stuff but advanced Force powers of both the light and dark side
    - and use them as good as or better than Yoda and Palpatine, without training
    - have her own ship that is better than the Millenium Falcon (that she probably built herself out of pices of Star Destroyer)
    - be in a romance with Luke, Kylo, or both.
    - etcetera...
    Isnt Jedi Mind Tricking someone kind of advanced Force power use? It takes Luke two masters and three movies before we see him pulling that off...it's like, see, only now can he do what that Jedi master you met in the first movie could do. Rey just does it with seemingly no training in the Force at all, you know, after she turns the tables on Ren by way of Force powers.

BANNED

1) Its a Trilogy....Kylo wouldnt turn in the first movie no matter what
    2) What do you define as advanced Force Powers? I call Jedi MInd Tricks advance especially after just finding out you have the Force.
    3) ???? Oh come on, she is better then Luke and Anakin at this point in their careers...Anakin and Luke got owned in their first duels and Anakin had Kenobi backup
    4) She is suppose to be a poor scavenger who has never left home, how would she own a ship better then the Falcon? She flew it as good as Han and Lando then told Han how to fix the Falcon close enough in my book.
    5) Plenty of Reylo Shippers around and again still a trilogy and star wars romance advances in the 2nd movie not the 1st.
    Last edited by JaggedFel; 01-11-2016 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    I don't think they're doing it to try and force people to buy books or something.
    Bro, that is exactly what they are doing.

If you are hardcore and want to know EVERYTHING, you have to buy all the other material. Books, cartoons, comics... everything.

If you are a casual, you aren't going to care what the Knights of Ren or Finn's background or anything. What you get in the movies is enough.

Lucusfilm is basically taking the Marvel Studios shared movie + tv verse and expanding it even further into other media because they KNOW star wars fans will eat it up, just like the ate up the EU.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

If you are hardcore and want to know EVERYTHING, you have to buy all the other material. Books, cartoons, comics... everything.

If you are a casual, you aren't going to care what the Knights of Ren or Finn's background or anything. What you get in the movies is enough.

Lucusfilm is basically taking the Marvel Studios shared movie + tv verse and expanding it even further into other media because they KNOW star wars fans will eat it up, just like the ate up the EU.
    I just don't see it, they're isn't the marketing behind that other stuff to really suggest that. Like, when Lady in the Water actually tried doing something like that, it was coming up when they were doing the talkshow rounds. This? I didn't even know about some of these thing that apparently have this information; I almost said extra, and I guess it is because it's not in the thing that matters, but it doesn't seem to sound like extra. That isn't to say the hardcore arent going to feel the need to buy everything, but they're the hardcore, they're going to buy everything anyways. I don't think they held back information for some tiny thing over here to sell it...I just think the movie is a mess, and that's why it doesn't do a good job of telling you what some things are, or why some things are.

The thing is whatever Episode 8 is called could come out and say those books or whatever most people don't know about are wrong. Because they aren't going to make the movie side of things beholden to so books that people aren't reading.

Amazing Member

All this talk about Rey being good at the Force, I think that's a question they wanted you to carry over after the movie is over. I mean, they throw hints that her past could explain it. That's why they show all those visions when she touches the lightsaber ... maybe she's even used that lightsaber before? And it's pretty obvious Kylo knows her somehow. Why else would he freak out when he's told the droid ran off with a girl. We have two films to find out, then you can say "Oh bullshit".

So you can argue that they should have included more info in the first film but that's a different argument. I'm content to wait and see. After all, you can't compare this film to A New Hope since it's the first of three with expected surprises later, whereas A New Hope was more of a standalone that grew into a trilogy.

BANNED

EH I dont know I dont usually walk out of Marvel movie thinking goddamn I dont know wtf is going on.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abysslord View Post
    All this talk about Rey being good at the Force, I think that's a question they wanted you to carry over after the movie is over. I mean, they throw hints that her past could explain it. That's why they show all those visions when she touches the lightsaber ... maybe she's even used that lightsaber before? And it's pretty obvious Kylo knows her somehow. Why else would he freak out when he's told the droid ran off with a girl. We have two films to find out, then you can say "Oh bullshit".

So you can argue that they should have included more info in the first film but that's a different argument. I'm content to wait and see. After all, you can't compare this film to A New Hope since it's the first of three with expected surprises later, whereas A New Hope was more of a standalone that grew into a trilogy.
    Exactly, Rey clearly has a backstory that will be fleshed out with time.

LucasFilm has been doing this for years and years and years. Look at the prequels. If you wanted to know what happened during the Clone Wars, you had to read the comics, read the books and watch the show. If you didn't, you wouldn't know who Commander Cody was, or who this General Grievous guy was, or how Anakin became a Knight, or anything about the war, really.

The casual fan does not need to know that but we hardcore fans NEED to know, so Lucas gives us what we want, for a price.

Isnt Jedi Mind Tricking someone kind of advanced Force power use? It takes Luke two masters and three movies before we see him pulling that off...it's like, see, only now can he do what that Jedi master you met in the first movie could do. Rey just does it with seemingly no training in the Force at all, you know, after she turns the tables on Ren by way of Force powers.
    Which indicates that she was trained and forgot? She has a mysterious backstory for a reason. Wait for episode VIII.

Disney is almost forcing people who want to know more to check out all the in-canon supplemental stuff. Its brutal for "in the middle" fans like me who want to know more but aren't hardcore with it
    Then go look up what you are curious about on Wookieepedia.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 01-11-2016 at 11:22 AM.

BANNED

Isnt Jedi Mind Tricking someone kind of advanced Force power use?
    I never got that impression. Obi-Wan seemed to pass it off as a mere parlour trick.

It takes Luke two masters and three movies before...
    ....before he actually runs into an antagonist he can (and actually needs to) actually talk.
    Him not using it in New Hope or Empire offers no information on the difficulty level of the Jedi Mind Trick. Who would he have used it on?
    ...we see him pulling that off...it's like, see, only now can he do what that Jedi master you met in the first movie could do. Rey just does it with seemingly no training in the Force at all, you know, after she turns the tables on Ren by way of Force powers.
    On the other hand, Rey just being able to pull it off just like that suggests it can't be that advanced a technique.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    1) Its a Trilogy....Kylo wouldnt turn in the first movie no matter what
    2) What do you define as advanced Force Powers? I call Jedi MInd Tricks advance especially after just finding out you have the Force.
    3) ???? Oh come on, she is better then Luke and Anakin at this point in their careers...Anakin and Luke got owned in their first duels and Anakin had Kenobi backup
    4) She is suppose to be a poor scavenger who has never left home, how would she own a ship better then the Falcon? She flew it as good as Han and Lando then told Han how to fix the Falcon close enough in my book.
    5) Plenty of Reylo Shippers around and again still a trilogy and star wars romance advances in the 2nd movie not the 1st.
    Clearly you have very little experience with actual Mary-Sues.

And internet shppers =/= actual canon romances.
    Last edited by Carabas; 01-11-2016 at 11:27 AM.

Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

Jabba the Hutt knew of the Jedi Mind Trick. It's not some secret, arcane knowledge. Rey could have either 1) heard the legends about the Jedi using it or 2) learned it from Kylo Ren's head during the interrogation scene.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post

Then go look up what you are curious about on Wookieepedia.

Last time I went over there, it was still filled with (now) non-canon old EU stuff

has it been updated to reflect the now-canon?

That is what I used to use....

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    EH I dont know I dont usually walk out of Marvel movie thinking goddamn I dont know wtf is going on.
    That is why I said they are expanding it, which is kind of bull honestly but... star wars fans eat that shit up so *shrug*

gJiHXEm.jpg

Hahaha ... so true.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium