Page 37 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

What is the New Order? As in, how much space do they control.

How big is the Empire? Who knows? Big enough.

Were is the Republic? Why are they not fighting when the movie mentions a fleet?

It got blown up. The Republic is funding the Resistance, much like American and Company in the Middle East.

Why are they supporting the Resistance? Why are they fighting instead?

They don't want to.

How much space does the Replubic control?

Less than they did when the movie started

Why did Luke leave without leaving a phone number?

He left it with R2D2

What's the point of Luke having no communication?

He doesn't want to be disturbed.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by justinslot View Post
    There was a real lack of established Star Wars aliens, right? Were there any Twi'leks or Togruta?
    there are several bothans among the resistance´s ground personal and also a bothan pilot flying an x-wing. i think it is their first onscreen appearance and i think it was a nice decision, considering their heroic role in pervious agendas

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Where did that come from? Great info, but probably too much for the opening crawl. However, an abbreviated form of it could easily have gone into the dialogue in different places.

Seeing this kind of confirms a suspicion I've had about this film: holes in it are a deliberate attempt to force fans to buy more stuff to get the whole story. I understand why Disney would do that, and it's their right to do so. I hate that Darth Mickeyouse chose to make this film less than it might have been by this approach. Odds are, they wouldn't have lost much in the way of sales anyway.
    Far as I am concerned, these are info dumps that are nice to know, but adds absolutely nothing to the film. Glad Abrsns didn't succumb to David Weber Syndrome and left out as much as he could.

I finally got to see TFA yesterday and have had some time to think about it. Overall, it was a disappointment and I would rank it above Episode I and II only.

Here are my main complaints:

1. It felt like a rehashed Episode IV but with less character development and more plot holes.

2. There were too many coincidences and not enough explanations.

3. Rey caught onto the force a little too easily.

4. Another Death Star with a obvious weakness that is blown up by a small group of fighters?

5. Leia and Han's dynamic felt forced and simplistic.

6. The sets felt isolated, small and fake.

7. The music was crap.

8. Where were the aliens? I didn't see any new species unless I missed some in the new "Mos Eisley" hangout scene.

9. Kylo fights like a complete idiot.

10. Padme got a funeral but Han got shafted.

It wasn't all bad though:

1. Kylo has some potential, although I hope he doesn't just follow Vader's storyline and demise.

2. Snoke could be Plageuis. If he isn't, then he should go back to a Harry Potter movie.

3. Rey, or rather a female lead Jedi, could be a great change for the franchise.

Overall, it'd give it a "C" which is pretty piss poor for a Star Wars movie. I really have no desire whatsoever to see it again.
    Last edited by Dorktron; 12-25-2015 at 11:06 PM.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Extraordinary Member

I agree with the assessment of the new Death Star.

On the other hand, one could argue it was far more useful than either of its predecessors. Alderaan had little strategic value and the Battle of Endor was a resounding Imperial defeat, but this creation dealt a major blow to the Republic government. Considering the cost in ships and personell it would have taken to do the same job it might actually have been worth the effort of building the thing.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

And Kylo fought better than anybody who had been shot in the side with a rocket propelled grenade has any right to.

Went to see it with my parents today, took a couple tries to find a showing that wasn't sold out, I think it being Christmas isn't going to slow down the money rolling in AT ALL, in fact it might even boost it since it gives families something to do for Christmas evening.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I agree with the assessment of the new Death Star.

On the other hand, one could argue it was far more useful than either of its predecessors. Alderaan had little strategic value and the Battle of Endor was a resounding Imperial defeat, but this creation dealt a major blow to the Republic government. Considering the cost in ships and personell it would have taken to do the same job it might actually have been worth the effort of building the thing.
    Seriously, the destruction of the planets in the Hosnian System was a huge blow to the New Republic as Hosnian Prime was their new capital world.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    And Kylo fought better than anybody who had been shot in the side with a rocket propelled grenade has any right to.
    Given the sound effect being used when he was beating his chest, he was likely wearing body armor of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Went to see it with my parents today, took a couple tries to find a showing that wasn't sold out, I think it being Christmas isn't going to slow down the money rolling in AT ALL, in fact it might even boost it since it gives families something to do for Christmas evening.
    I saw it for a third time on Christmas Eve and even at 7:45 PM, the theater was still almost sold out.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

In some ways, having the Starkiller blow up planets was the same old, same old (been there, done that), but for some reason, it was way more terrifying visually this time around than it was back in 1977 when Alderaan got taken out. Heck, the whole First Order (leadership excepted) seems to be a way scarier incarnation of the old Empire.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I paid special attention to Ren during the end fight this time specifically to see how bad he was hurt and I noticed some things I missed before, I posted this on Rumbles earlier

1. Take the glancing hit theory and throw it in the trash, the bolt hit him squarely in the lower left abdomen, possibly as low as his hip, spun him around, and knocked him to the floor
    2. After this point Ren only stands straight up for moments at a time, and spends a lot more of the time hunched over and to the left, consistent for someone with a nasty gut wound as the act of standing straight up would cause the wound to stretch and tear further, this hunched stance becomes more pronounced as the fight goes on
    3. He has increased difficulty in just walking as the fight goes on, by the time Rey has the lightsaber he's lurching forward more than walking, which is logical because ignoring pain, or fueling the darkside or whatever is all well and good, but pain's there for a reason, like to tell you not to move around because you're ripping the frigging wound open wider
    4. During the fight he spends a large time holding and fighting with his lightsaber one handed, which hand you ask? Why the right hand, and where's his left hand when he does this? Holding his lower left abdomen, exactly where he got shot, almost like it was causing him pain or something
    basically, if anything is you pay close attention it seems he's hurting even worse than an initial viewing might suggest, and Abrams put more visual cues to that effect that you can miss without looking for
    Last edited by Hiromi; 12-26-2015 at 12:20 AM.

I have a question - how did Han and the gang see the Hosnian System being blown up in the sky? Takodana is in the Western Reaches, while the Hosnian System is in the Core Worlds. Even if the two systems were right next door to one another and the exploding planets shown as brightly as Super Novae, it would still take years for the light from the Hosnian System to get to Takodana...

I suppose it will be passed off as a by product of the Hyperspace nature of the weapon or some malarkey like that.

If you're wondering how they eat or breath, or other science facts

Here is one thing I don't see anyone catching on to.

Kylo Ren wants to essentially recreate, rebuild and FINISH Darth Vader's legacy. He's been the spearhead behind these actions along with General Snoke.

After hearing and processing all that, is it really that much of a surprise that their weapon was essentially a recreated Death Star with the similar capabilities?

It's Called the "StarKiller" Base for crying out loud, or KillStar, or Death Star. See? Sounds to me like that was intentional. It's cited as a weakness of the film but something tells me all that was intentional, particularly when you consider the main villains of this first movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    If you're wondering how they eat or breath, or other science facts
    Eating and breathing are fine. Even reliving oneself. Heck, I can even wrap my head around space wizards.

But planets being blown up on the other side of the galaxy and being able to see that in real time in the sky... Nope, I draw the line there.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Here is one thing I don't see anyone catching on to.

Kylo Ren wants to essentially recreate, rebuild and FINISH Darth Vader's legacy. He's been the spearhead behind these actions along with General Snoke.

After hearing and processing all that, is it really that much of a surprise that their weapon was essentially a recreated Death Star with the similar capabilities?

It's Called the "StarKiller" Base for crying out loud, or KillStar, or Death Star. See? Sounds to me like that was intentional. It's cited as a weakness of the film but something tells me all that was intentional, particularly when you consider the main villains of this first movie.
    In the original draft of Star Wars, the Skywalker name was Starkiller.