Page 16 of 71 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

A young woman was designed from the very beginning to be the main protagonist. Not someone else. Not a man. That's why Rey is the centerpiece of the hero merchandising and marketing.

“We always wanted to write Rey as the central character, but it was just one of the things we knew we wanted to do: to make the film look and feel more like the way the world looks and feels.” -J.J. Abrams

US Weekly - Star Wars The Force Awakens Producer Answers Your Burning Questions

http://m.usmagazine.com/entertainmen...stions-2015611

Us: With Rey, this film is also the first in the series to have a female character in the central role. Was that important to you?

KK: Yes! In fact, I am such a hero with my teenage daughters. They’re like, “Mom, this is fantastic!” Again, these kinds of questions and issues shouldn’t be huge factors in our society any longer. It’s kind of amazing that these conversations that I remember certainly taking place at the beginning of my career many, many years ago, and even things I talked about with my own mother, are still occurring. It is quite staggering that we’re still having to make a big deal out of the fact that there’s a female protagonist.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2anw8nmiVVA

Kathleen Kennedy (2:06): The fact that that opportunity was afforded me, it's really put me in a position to make decisions that affect a lot of the women that I work with today, that I think has made a huge difference. I mean, the fact that I can sit in a meeting and say, "I think the protagonist should be a woman," I think that those are the kind of changes that are really really important in our business...

Kathleen Kennedy (8:14): Well one of the things, I mean the fact that the company was bought by the Walt Disney Company has been amazing because they very much support the fact that we are trying to grow in the workforce a number of women in executive positions and in all positions inside the company and with the movies that we're making and with the protagonists that we're putting in the stories. And so I got a huge amount of support with that. But we have 50% of our executive team are women. And six out of eight of the people in my story group are women. And I'm sure there's a lot of people that would be surprised that we're making Star Wars movies and the majority of the people involved in the development of those stories are women. And I think that it's making a huge difference in the stories that we're trying to tell.

Kathleen Kennedy (10:40): [The new female lead character] is one of the first things J.J. [Abrams] and I talked about and that we talked to [Walt Disney Studios Chairman] Alan Horn about. It was a very early decision and a choice and something that we worked a long time developing. I think the interesting path we've had is the conversation that took place around consumer products because there were a lot of companies that were in place who frankly didn't initially feel that Star Wars was for girls. And when you have a company situation where between Lucasfilm and Disney we were all looking at this situation and saying, "No, with Star Wars we have to change this. We have to make sure that we create products that are in a sense appealing to both boys and girls. What's wrong with that?"

“Daisy Ridley’s character Rey is the new generation’s Luke Skywalker.” – Kathleen Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Again shouldnt have read Wookiepedia to find that out JJ could at least slap a Red Bar or something on his chest to make him stand out or...I dont know just plug in Phasma there instead.
    The completely different weapon wasn't a big enough clue that this wasn't a regular Stormtrooper ?

I'm by no means a Star Wars expert and I still got it...

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
    A young woman was designed from the very beginning to be the main protagonist. Not someone else. Not a man. That's why Rey is the centerpiece of the hero merchandising and marketing.

“We always wanted to write Rey as the central character, but it was just one of the things we knew we wanted to do: to make the film look and feel more like the way the world looks and feels.” -J.J. Abrams

US Weekly - Star Wars The Force Awakens Producer Answers Your Burning Questions

http://m.usmagazine.com/entertainmen...stions-2015611

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2anw8nmiVVA

Kathleen Kennedy (2:06): The fact that that opportunity was afforded me, it's really put me in a position to make decisions that affect a lot of the women that I work with today, that I think has made a huge difference. I mean, the fact that I can sit in a meeting and say, "I think the protagonist should be a woman," I think that those are the kind of changes that are really really important in our business...

Kathleen Kennedy (8:14): Well one of the things, I mean the fact that the company was bought by the Walt Disney Company has been amazing because they very much support the fact that we are trying to grow in the workforce a number of women in executive positions and in all positions inside the company and with the movies that we're making and with the protagonists that we're putting in the stories. And so I got a huge amount of support with that. But we have 50% of our executive team are women. And six out of eight of the people in my story group are women. And I'm sure there's a lot of people that would be surprised that we're making Star Wars movies and the majority of the people involved in the development of those stories are women. And I think that it's making a huge difference in the stories that we're trying to tell.

Kathleen Kennedy (10:40): [The new female lead character] is one of the first things J.J. [Abrams] and I talked about and that we talked to [Walt Disney Studios Chairman] Alan Horn about. It was a very early decision and a choice and something that we worked a long time developing. I think the interesting path we've had is the conversation that took place around consumer products because there were a lot of companies that were in place who frankly didn't initially feel that Star Wars was for girls. And when you have a company situation where between Lucasfilm and Disney we were all looking at this situation and saying, "No, with Star Wars we have to change this. We have to make sure that we create products that are in a sense appealing to both boys and girls. What's wrong with that?"

“Daisy Ridley’s character Rey is the new generation’s Luke Skywalker.” – Kathleen Kennedy
    Okay, I don't have a beef with that. However, they're so frantically trying to push Rey toward that feminist agency role, they're upending SW's long established internal logic about how using the Force works (and that's established logic from the films, not EU). I lay that on Abrams. He gets so hung up on cool plot elements and cool imagery, his story telling ends up shallow and his scripts don't think their plots all the way thru.

In some ways Abrams as a filmmaker seems to have some of the same failings I see some of us attribute to fanboy comics creators.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    First, Nute Gunray is the prequel trilogy so Lucas waited to take a swipe at him. Second it's not me "just seeing" this it's written by a lot of people.
    Maybe you've just been wrong the whole time.
    I am not for one moment saying there is nothing about Gingrich in Star Wars, I am saying that is not the only political consideration and not the concern of the first movie. Gingrich was running for the House of Representatives at the time and was seen as a tactician and media manipulator. He even openly boasted about his ability to drive the national agenda. So yes he was in there, but you won’t find much Palpatine in Star Wars in 1977. Later sure. And not just in the prequels. You can't take a swipe at any politician without context, the context is all there in the films and always has been.

Edit: always has been until now of course.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 12-20-2015 at 08:26 AM.

I think what is irking people is that Finn not only loses, but he has no clear narrative arc in this franchise. Rey is clearly on her hero's journey and she gets to be trained by God Luke himself, who will almost certainly be involved in episode VIII. Poe is set up to be the Wedge of the new franchise with a possible promotion to Han Solo. And Finn is... C3PO. Well intentioned, has useful information that the heroes can use, but is constantly in need of saving.

And yes, I recognize that Star Wars is king of the "started from the bottom" franchises. So Finn being in a coma should signal that he's about to take a level in badass, but now the franchise is going forward into the hands of a new writer/director. A whole lot of things can change. And when have we ever gotten a black character go through a hero's journey across multiple films? Especially when there's another lead who has more compelling narrative opportunities?

By all means, Star Wars could be the first. But we were just "promised" Finn as a Jedi in the marketing for this film. Why in the hell would I trust them to keep their "promise" in the next?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    I think what is irking people is that Finn not only loses, but he has no clear narrative arc in this franchise. Rey is clearly on her hero's journey and she gets to be trained by God Luke himself, who will almost certainly be involved in episode VIII. Poe is set up to be the Wedge of the new franchise with a possible promotion to Han Solo. And Finn is... C3PO. Well intentioned, has useful information that the heroes can use, but is constantly in need of saving.

And yes, I recognize that Star Wars is king of the "started from the bottom" franchises. So Finn being in a coma should signal that he's about to take a level in badass, but now the franchise is going forward into the hands of a new writer/director. A whole lot of things can change. And when have we ever gotten a black character go through a hero's journey across multiple films? Especially when there's another lead who has more compelling narrative opportunities?

By all means, Star Wars could be the first. But we were just "promised" Finn as a Jedi in the marketing for this film. Why in the hell would I trust them to keep their "promise" in the next?
    no one promised you shit

I think we'll learn more about Finn as time goes on

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    no one promised you shit

I think we'll learn more about Finn as time goes on
    Hence promise being in quotes.

I thought it was very clear who would do what in the future, Ren seemed startled that it was a girl who escaped the planet in other words he knew who she was and what her fate would be. Secondly Finn gave Ren a look that he was going to get him for killing Han. As for Luke he must have sensed that five planets had just died suddenly and also felt the death of Han as Leia did that's why he had the worried look. Another thought is that it was mentioned that the First order took children to train as Stormtroopers, maybe during Finn's coma we learn that he is Lando's son and that way he can be introduced into this saga.
    Last edited by tv horror; 12-20-2015 at 10:07 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Again shouldnt have read Wookiepedia to find that out JJ could at least slap a Red Bar or something on his chest to make him stand out or...I dont know just plug in Phasma there instead.
    ah, that could have been a really nice change. they were obviously trying to play up the antipathy between the two characters in the first place. if ANYBODY in the First Order has reasons to be bitter of Finn abandoning them it would be Phasma.

even if Finn lost a fight with her it would be to a prominent high-ranking villain... and it would give him something to overcome in the sequel. if he won it would be a nice personal and moral victory for him. Phasma would be even more motivated to destroy him later. it would actually benefit both characters quite a bit. now that I think about it, I'm surprised they didn't do that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post

The trailers never said he was a jedi-they just promoted storm trooper that joins the good guys and somehow gets a lightsabre.

The movie gave you a janitor that was the comic relief and plot device and that is what has many upset with him. And most are not going to wait until 2 other movies for his development. You can claim you are doing that but between now and the next film things change.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

For those of you who are wondering just how Rey could defeat Rylo, who's had more training, here's an interview with Abrams about the "vision" scene that explains a lot:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20...-force-awakens
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Mighty Member

Very interesting to hear about the orgin of that giant First Order leader whenever that get's revealed

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The trailers never said he was a jedi-they just promoted storm trooper that joins the good guys and somehow gets a lightsabre.

The movie gave you a janitor that was the comic relief and plot device and that is what has many upset with him. And most are not going to wait until 2 other movies for his development. You can claim you are doing that but between now and the next film things change.
    I'm just going to say that I can understand that people are disappointed Finn is not currently a Jedi.

But let's not underestimate him. He has HUGE amounts of courage; he's an everyman who refused evil, then stepped up to the plate and stared it down even though he knew he was going to lose (you knew in the forest that HE knew he was going to carved up like a roast by Ren).

You don't think there's boat loads of potential story with a character with planetary-sized courage?

Ultimate Member

I'm really disappointed in this attitude amongst some in the fanbase that "if Finn isn't a Jedi, then he's worthless." Umm excuse me, but Han wasn't a Jedi (or Force Sensitive) and yet he's one of the most popular characters in the franchise. Ditto on Bobba Fett. Heck Poe seems to have been well-received, and he doesn't appear to be FS either.

As for his arc in this movie, it was pretty clear. Going from running away constantly, to being a hero and standing and fighting (even when you've got zero shot at winning). That takes guts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    For those of you who are wondering just how Rey could defeat Rylo, who's had more training, here's an interview with Abrams about the "vision" scene that explains a lot:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20...-force-awakens
    What did it explain?