Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

General Hux is my new favorite character. Love his speech before activating the Death Star.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    WE could see it coming, maybe even he could too, but ... the parable of the prodigal son my friends.
    Of course Hans biggest disadvantage is... He can't hear the sound track.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
    Okay, I saw it. My force awakened, all right. Nerdgasms all up and throughout.

Non-spoilers. The movie is total fanservice, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad thing. Star Wars nerds are sensitive. Overly so, IMO. The fandom will never let go of those prequels. One thing this movie had that didn't exist at all in the prequels was a personality. The characters popped. Everything about those prequels was so dry.

Abrams had to make sure he gave the nerds everything they wanted, which resulted in a fairly predictable -- yet awesome -- outcome. The new characters are amazing editions to the mythology. You ultimately have a female protagonist and a Black right hand, and I feel like these are two huge talking points.

Kylo is already my favorite.

The passing of the torch was evident. Han had to die to propel Kylo as a villain. I loved the scene between them on the bridge. Kylo is going to be my Zuko, for all the Airbender fans. I'm sure he's irredeemable after killing Han, but he'll no doubt be in a constant tug of war throughout the series. He's clearly conflicted. I love his armor design...evokes Vader, but more modern.

Rey was awesome. Abrams was somewhat predictable with this movie, so I want to say she'll be Luke's daughter. Another outcome could be her being a Solo. They could play up some sort of sibling rivalry between her and Kylo. Doubt it, though. She's an amnesiac, but I doubt Leia or Han would forget they have another kid.

Her knowing how to fight didn't phase me. There's clearly some memory loss. It's possible she trained as a child.

Finn was great. I liked his origin as a Stormtrooper deserter. He and Poe make for a great two man show. I hope they get more scenes in future films. I loved the fact that Brienne of Tarth didn't get out of that armor at all. She could've telephoned in her performance.

Those legacy characters, though. They did just enough. When I saw Luke standing there at the end? !!!
    It's so weird. If Kylo had only killed all those villagers and billions of innocent people, he would still be redeemable. But off one named character and you are over the edge
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Something was going on between han and rey in the Falcon cockpit. I got the feeling she reminded him of Ben before he fell to the Dark Side. That might be a clue to her parentage.

RENs age is a puzzle to me. He looks about twenty, but that would seem to make him far too young to have han and Leia's as parents and to have trained with Luke and then turned on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    General Hux is my new favorite character. Love his speech before activating the Death Star.
    More than any of the generals of the Empire could with Vader, it seems that Hux can verbally go toe-to-toe with Kylo.

The black-and-red flags, the formation of the assembled crowd of Stormtroopers, the trenchcoats at that Death Star scene, all invoked a very Third Reich feel, very powerful
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    More than any of the generals of the Empire could with Vader, it seems that Hux can verbally go toe-to-toe with Kylo.

The black-and-red flags, the formation of the assembled crowd of Stormtroopers, the trenchcoats at that Death Star scene, all invoked a very Third Reich feel, very powerful
    Meanwhile, Phasma was a bit of a let down in the end.

The first person shot when her troops stormed the facility should have been her. Finn might have stolen a tie fighter and deserted, but at least he never sold out every single soldier under his command just to save his own skin!

Extraordinary Member

By the way, was that Kenneth Colley (Admiral Piett) making a cameo as an Imperial officer on the hanger flight control deck as Finn and Poe escaped?

So what's the personal conclusions on Rey? Me, I'm firmly on the side saying she's Luke's daughter. At least, it wouldn't make sense to me why, if she were Han and Leia's as well, that Ben would be sent to train with Luke but Rey sent away in isolation. So there has to be a significant difference between the two which I think precludes them being siblings. So I'm going with cousins. I think she'll be revealed as Rey Skywalker very early in Episode VIII with perhaps even a mystery developed about the identity of her mother.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-18-2015 at 01:20 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    So what's the personal conclusions on Rey? Me, I'm firmly on the side saying she's Luke's daughter. At least, it wouldn't make sense to me why, if she were Han and Leia's as well, that Ben would be sent to train with Luke but Rey sent away in isolation. So there has to be a significant difference between the two which I think precludes them being siblings. So I'm going with cousins. I think she'll be revealed as Rey Skywalker very early in Episode VIII with perhaps even a mystery developed about the identity of her mother.
    Pretty much, given Leia's reaction to being apart from Ren and Han it'd seem pretty out of character to have abandoned her other child and cut off all contact with her, it feels like it'd fit much better with Luke trying to disappear with bad people after him(and a new big bad wanting force sensitives). Plus her reaction Luke/Anakin's lightsaber, and it seems to fit your story archetypes better.

Extraordinary Member

*pours a 40oz* for

Best scene in the movie were to Storm troopers on patrol when Ben was going nuts and were like "nope"
    Last edited by Deadxman; 12-18-2015 at 02:02 AM.

Knowing that Luke's attempt to restart the Jedi Academy ended in tragedy, having read Shattered Empire, and assuming that Luke tried to start the Academy on Yavin IV, I'm betting Poe's parents were killed by Kylo, perhaps one or two even being apprentices themselves, and thus in future movies will give Poe a more personal stake in the war with the dark side.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Very enjoyable film. Really amazing stuff.

It was basically a love letter to the old films, which I liked quite a bit.

The jokes were funny and the characters rich.

Renn is an interesting character. Torn between the Dark Side and the Light Side. He was a bit whiny but it was understandable. He obviously wanted to be as evil as his granddad but he had a conscious and it was eating him alive inside. My bet is that, after killing his father, Renn will be much darker in the next film. He will believe himself fully bathed in the essence of the Dark Side.

Both Rey and Finn were incredibly surprising. Both really turned out to be something special. I am in love with their characters and ready to see where their adventures take them next.

BB-8 was adorkable.

Han's death was very interesting. He died trying to turn his son back to the light. I think most people, had you asked before seeing the film, would have said Han would go down like an action hero. I quite like how his death made him seem so... Helpless. Because, honestly, he WAS helpless. His death was all the more dramatic for how tortured and sad it was.

Leader Snoke was interesting. Is he really a giant or was he just acting like the Wizard of Oz with the Holo-emitters ?

Phasma was a complete waste of a great actress. I am really hoping Disney has more planned for her than being the butt end of a joke.

Poe was also disappointing. I wanted to see more of him. The actor was top notch but his role was far more minor than I believed it would have been. His character arc will obviously be expanded in future movies. Given how is parents settled on Yavin and, as another poster said, I am pretty confident that Luke would establish his academy there. Renn most likely butchered Poe's parents, which will really add a lot of drama to the next movie or two.

I both loved and hated the new Starkiller. It looked awesome and has a cool concept but... It shoots lasers through hyperspace... Eh, I didn't like that part.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    RENs age is a puzzle to me. He looks about twenty, but that would seem to make him far too young to have han and Leia's as parents and to have trained with Luke and then turned on him.
    The movie takes place 30+ years after A New Hope. Ren is likely in his early twenties, which means he was born a short time after Endor. heck, he may have even been conceived on Endor for all we know.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 12-18-2015 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Knowing that Luke's attempt to restart the Jedi Academy ended in tragedy, having read Shattered Empire, and assuming that Luke tried to start the Academy on Yavin IV, I'm betting Poe's parents were killed by Kylo, perhaps one or two even being apprentices themselves, and thus in future movies will give Poe a more personal stake in the war with the dark side.
    Poe's parents were pilots, just like him. Their story was told in the Road to the Force Awakens comic.